Stupid Idea #1

http://media.www.dailynebraskan.com/media/...760-page2.shtml

If I'm a student at UNL, I would be royally PO'd. For years the complaint has been made that the student seating was some of the worst in the country. It allows us virtually no home field advantage when the student section is basically the vast majority of our fans who make noise on game day. But yet, in an effort to correct this long-lasting mistake, Dr. Tom pushes the students back even more.

What REALLY p*sses me off about the article is ..

However, "(the change) was not done for financial reasons," Osborne said. "We have no idea whether there will be an increase in revenue or not. We're sure the seats will be sold."

Osborne said one reason for the change was because students have a tendency to stand on their seats throughout the game, and it wasn't fair for the season ticket holders who sat behind them.

"We're doing what we can to be fair," Osborne said. "But I just have to tell you, people who buy a ticket are entitled to see a game, so it wasn't happening. That's why this move has been made."

This is a load of garbage. It was not done for financial reasons, but only for a reason to "be fair"? Yeah Tom, lets see the checks they signed you for these seats. If it wasn't done for financial reasons, I'm guessing these season ticket holders paid the same exact price as years before, correct? You know that is a load. It is about the almighty dollar.

Frankly, this ticks me off the students yet again get punished for absolutely no reason. Personally, I hope the students make a stink about this, because they do not deserve to be pushed even further back for absolutely no reason.

Tom says in the article if anyone is to blame, then blame him. Honestly, I think we all should blame him by showing our displeasure of the treatment of our students by a few nice little emails. If anything, the students should be getting better seating, not pushed towards the damm clouds just so the university can make another buck.

Sickening.

:rant

If I'm a student at UNL, I would be royally PO'd. For years the complaint has been made that the student seating was some of the worst in the country. It allows us virtually no home field advantage when the student section is basically the vast majority of our fans who make noise on game day. But yet, in an effort to correct this long-lasting mistake, Dr. Tom pushes the students back even more.

However, "(the change) was not done for financial reasons," Osborne said. "We have no idea whether there will be an increase in revenue or not. We're sure the seats will be sold."

Osborne said one reason for the change was because students have a tendency to stand on their seats throughout the game, and it wasn't fair for the season ticket holders who sat behind them.

"We're doing what we can to be fair," Osborne said. "But I just have to tell you, people who buy a ticket are entitled to see a game, so it wasn't happening. That's why this move has been made."

This is a load of garbage. It was not done for financial reasons, but only for a reason to "be fair"? Yeah Tom, lets see the checks they signed you for these seats. If it wasn't done for financial reasons, I'm guessing these season ticket holders paid the same exact price as years before, correct? You know that is a load. It is about the almighty dollar.

Frankly, this ticks me off the students yet again get punished for absolutely no reason. Personally, I hope the students make a stink about this, because they do not deserve to be pushed even further back for absolutely no reason.

Tom says in the article if anyone is to blame, then blame him. Honestly, I think we all should blame him by showing our displeasure of the treatment of our students by a few nice little emails. If anything, the students should be getting better seating, not pushed towards the damm clouds just so the university can make another buck.

Sickening.

How about this.....

You are at a college football game! Don't sit down! Stand and yell the whole game. If you want to sit and watch a game, stay home!

hmmmm....the only time I have really seen people sit is at the half or before the game, kind of wondered why we really had "seats". This was a money thing, no matter what Dr. Tom is saying. Get ready for a change in the prices in 2009. I am betting they go up a bit, and not just because they didn't this year...

It is infuriating. I hope my fellow students raise a big stink about this, too. It's nice that there aren't really any crappy seats in Memorial Stadium, but the students having access to the front row in the south part of east stadium and the east part of south stadium is very important. The players see the students' energy and feed off it. Now they're going to see a bunch of old fogies (no offense to any old fogies on here) who sit and clap politely during the game? Sorry, there are plenty of seats for those people in west and north stadium. You want to say, "well, the boosters pay thousands of dollars to the athletic dept etc etc..."? Guess what other group of people pay thousands and thousands of dollars to the university every year! STUDENTS!! Personally, I pay $500 a credit hour to go here. I think that should count for something. So what if we get a discount on tickets? Yes, that's nice, but does paying $500 less than general admission for tickets make up for the $7-$15K a year in tuition we pay? I don't think so.

This is unbelievable...Students are being moved farther from the field because they stand up too much???? Really????

This always peeved me when I was in school (2000-2004). The students would be trying to fire up the crowd and the nancies behind them would be whining that they couldn't see. To channel Dan Hawkins..."ITS DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL...ITS THE BIG TWELVE!!!"

Here's an idea, instead of treating the students like a nuisance and pushing them farther into the corner, why not put the entire student section on one of the sidelines so the only people sitting behind them are up on the second level. Or TO could just tell the complainers that they're at a football game and offer them a nice glass of STFU.

It is infuriating. I hope my fellow students raise a big stink about this, too. It's nice that there aren't really any crappy seats in Memorial Stadium, but the students having access to the front row in the south part of east stadium and the east part of south stadium is very important. The players see the students' energy and feed off it. Now they're going to see a bunch of old fogies (no offense to any old fogies on here) who sit and clap politely during the game? Sorry, there are plenty of seats for those people in west and north stadium. You want to say, "well, the boosters pay thousands of dollars to the athletic dept etc etc..."? Guess what other group of people pay thousands and thousands of dollars to the university every year! STUDENTS!! Personally, I pay $500 a credit hour to go here. I think that should count for something. So what if we get a discount on tickets? Yes, that's nice, but does paying $500 less than general admission for tickets make up for the $7-$15K a year in tuition we pay? I don't think so.

Very good point.

Very little if any of the tuition goes to pay for the football team or the stadium.

Yeah, it sucks, I'll give you that. And yes, I would have been mad if it had happened back in my student days.

Still, we've never had a problem with not being able to have a home field advantage. That claim is laughable. And you might as well learn now that money and clout is what rules the world. Students generally offer very little of either to offer. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

Very little if any of the tuition goes to pay for the football team or the stadium.

Yeah, it sucks, I'll give you that. And yes, I would have been mad if it had happened back in my student days.

Still, we've never had a problem with not being able to have a home field advantage. That claim is laughable. And you might as well learn now that money and clout is what rules the world. Students generally offer very little of either to offer. I wish it wasn't that way, but it is.

No, you're right. Very little if any tuition pays for the football team or its stadium DIRECTLY.

However, I have this funny feeling that if there were no students paying tuition, there would be no school and therefore, no football program. Students are the center of the school, athletics, and any other extra-curricular activities...not ticket holders to a football game.

Honestly doesn't the football program bring in enough money already? Is pissing off your student supporters really worth the few thousand bucks you'll squeeze out of those seats?

Yes, older and wealthier supporters are totally integral to the football program, but let's not forget what this is. This is the UNIVERSITY'S football team, and the UNIVERSITY exists for the students. This is not a professional football program where the intent is to wring out as many dollars as possible. Hell, why not just shrink the student section to the east balcony? Why not just eliminate the student section entirely? Don't let anything stand in the way of profits!

I know that the football program pays for a lot of other sports and other things on campus, but the athletes are students and the sports program is supposedly for students.

I think it will take away from the energy of the student section when there is a section of older people sitting between them and the action on the field.

If they don't want people to be sitting behind them, put the students to the right of the band in the east stadium so they use the whole section for the students. Makes sense to me.

They do use the furthest south section in east stadium for students only. Its the south stadium near the top where they are having "problems" the student section does not go all the way up in that corner section. Its the season ticket holders at the top that are being moved.

Sickening.

How about this.....

You are at a college football game! Don't sit down! Stand and yell the whole game. If you want to sit and watch a game, stay home!

Way to alienate the "Old People" fan base there...the ones that CAN'T stand up during a whole game but still enjoy attending...

Sure...when I'm at a game, the only thing I use my seat for is as a cup holder or something to fall on after I've passed out...but lots of people, especially those old timers, actually use their seats for sitting during a game. Be kinda nice if they could see while they were sitting. Tom's old...I'm sure he sees things from a different point of view than you young punks....

No, you're right. Very little if any tuition pays for the football team or its stadium DIRECTLY.

However, I have this funny feeling that if there were no students paying tuition, there would be no school and therefore, no football program. Students are the center of the school, athletics, and any other extra-curricular activities...not ticket holders to a football game.

That is where you are mistaken. It has been 30 years or more since students have been the center of the football team.

Still, why is it so wrong to try and accomodate students (who may or may not want to be rowdy) and also accomodate other fans (many of whom are alums and people who actually give money to the football team) who want (or need as another poster pointed out) to watch the game from their seats? Just because students do something one way doesn't mean that is the right or only way to do it. How about if we show everyone else a little respect?

It is college football....not an AARP meeting!!!! The student section is suppose to help the players and they can also help the other fans as well if they are up cheering and yelling for the team. I do not see the point in moving the student section further away from the field just so some blue hairs can sit on their hands all game long.