Stupid Idea #1

Yes good point about the people that cannot stand the entire game, or even for any of it. Also I can understand wanting to stand and scream, but really need to stand on their seats? If they stood on the ground in front of their seats I really wouldn't think this would be as big of an issue. Anyways hopefully this works out without too much trouble, don't need anything to take away from the first few games of Pelini's career.

It is college football....not an AARP meeting!!!! The student section is suppose to help the players and they can also help the other fans as well if they are up cheering and yelling for the team. I do not see the point in moving the student section further away from the field just so some blue hairs can sit on their hands all game long.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that the amount of noise one makes in support of their team is not determined on whether the person is standing or sitting.

:wtf

This is really a joke right...like maybe Pederson is behind this...it was in the works before he left? That is how stupid this whole thing is. Osborne is into keeping the people of Nebraska central to the University, he better reconsider this decision, because I would have sworn it would have came from Pederson, not Osborne.

I have sat in the student section in the North end zone, and there are a lot of those seats that aren't students. The students sell their tickets for extra grocery money, so it is not only students that are in that section, but older fans, including retirees that can't afford any other seats.

The more I have thought about this, the more I am convinced that there is money behind this issue. Count on it, 2009 will bring a rise in seat prices, especially to the people that get the tickets that used to be the student section...the university will take the logic that those people improved on their seats, so they will have to pay more. Like I said, count on it.

:bang

I am the only 60 year old that I know that goes to the games regularly. I make every bit as much noise as any of you. Check with Eric or Dave H and Black Shirt. I am as active as any of you is my guess. I am sure there are people younger than me that do not get as involved. But how can you all be so certain that every single student is as noisey as you are. I have my doubts.

Respect is what this really about. Anyon who buys a ticket should be able to see the game period. Setting or standing makes no difference in the noise level guys. But driving people away that can not stand is not right.

The day will come when every single one of you will want to go to the game and can not do the things you can do now. Sure you will say now that you would not go, actually my grandfather said the same things when he was 70. Then he had to be in a wheel chair for the next 20 years, and he went to every single game, home and away and to all the bowl games. He donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to this program because he loved the University and this football team. Nothing could keep him from a Nebraska game from the time he graduated till his death. You can say how great of a fan you are because you stand and scream, it really makes little difference. Time tested fans are what are important. Most of those students will move away from the state and be distant fans after graduation. But those old blue hairs have been coming to support the team most of thier lives. When you get there you will apprecaite just what some of us do just to get there.

You pay 500.00 dollars per unit, but you are paying for an education, not football rights. Most of those blue hairs paid for their education and are still supporting the University. Respect for your elders was what I was taught living and growing up in Nebraska, Tom sees it as, all of us should. Age has very little baring on being a good fan kids. You may be able to do physical things better, but it makes you no more of fan than anyone else because you stand and yell.

My guess is the students will fair just fine with the move. It is not the end of football as we know it just yet.

You pay 500.00 dollars per unit, but you are paying for an education, not football rights. Most of those blue hairs paid for their education and are still supporting the University. Respect for your elders was what I was taught living and growing up in Nebraska, Tom sees it as, all of us should. Age has very little baring on being a good fan kids. You may be able to do physical things better, but it makes you no more of fan than anyone else because you stand and yell.

My guess is the students will fair just fine with the move. It is not the end of football as we know it just yet.

:yeah

I agree with all the above whole heartedly. The cost will go to those that had seats higher up and are moved down to where the students were...they will see price increases...

Another thing that has been mentioned is the energy that the students transfer to the team...I do agree with this issue also, fellow students can pump up the team a lot better than the blue hairs ever will. Can you imagine going to Colorado without the student section being where it is there? Yeah, we would like it better, but good or bad it does influence the team, and other fans and gets them involved into the game and atmosphere. Our students hopefully behave better than theirs, but they do influence the team and other fans in a positive way, a way that older Nebraskans probably aren't willing to do with their "maturity".

I am the only 60 year old that I know that goes to the games regularly. I make every bit as much noise as any of you. Check with Eric or Dave H and Black Shirt. I am as active as any of you is my guess. I am sure there are people younger than me that do not get as involved. But how can you all be so certain that every single student is as noisey as you are. I have my doubts.

Respect is what this really about. Anyon who buys a ticket should be able to see the game period. Setting or standing makes no difference in the noise level guys. But driving people away that can not stand is not right.

The day will come when every single one of you will want to go to the game and can not do the things you can do now. Sure you will say now that you would not go, actually my grandfather said the same things when he was 70. Then he had to be in a wheel chair for the next 20 years, and he went to every single game, home and away and to all the bowl games. He donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to this program because he loved the University and this football team. Nothing could keep him from a Nebraska game from the time he graduated till his death. You can say how great of a fan you are because you stand and scream, it really makes little difference. Time tested fans are what are important. Most of those students will move away from the state and be distant fans after graduation. But those old blue hairs have been coming to support the team most of thier lives. When you get there you will apprecaite just what some of us do just to get there.

In my earlier post I acknowledge that the football program actually pays for other University expenses. On the issue of standing up/sitting down, you have to buy your seats in context. I know that if I bought seats in north stadium seating, I won't be able to stand up and scream the whole game. It's just the same as I would know that if I were purchasing tickets behind/beside the student section I would not be able to sit for much of the game.

As for the issue of paying for an education vs. paying for "football rights", I would have to respectfully disagree. I believe that students should have primacy over other fans, because the university exists for them. This is not a professional sports organization. The athletes are students and the sports programs are supposed to benefit the students more than anyone else.

I only have one year left of law school, and after that I will be out on my own- likely forced to make donations to get tickets like the rest of you. I understand that not everyone enjoys standing the whole game or is physically able to stand the whole game, but roughly 80% of the stadium is already dedicated to people like you. NU already has the worst student seating in the Bix XII. This just seems like insult to injury.

As I said earlier, why should they stop here? Why not banish students to the west balcony? Then nobody has to stand! Why not eliminate student tickets entirely? Then the university gets even more money!

Let us also not forget that football tickets are used as a recruiting tool for prospective students as well. If students are pushed off to the worst seats in the stadium it might not have as much of a draw. Just a bad precedent if you ask me.

Well I have season tickets which the family has had for ever. But I very seldom set in them, I let my cousins who live in town use them and have since I went in the military. I normally try to get seats in the south endzone and pretty much stand the whole game. And as strange as it may sound, I do see others my age doing the same thing. I have also seen students passed out in their seats, vomitting all over people and really enjoying the game. NOT!

Again when the shoe is on the other foot, you will all be saying the same thing as I am saying. Enjoy the game and let everyone else do so to. It is not your stadium or team any more than it is mine or anyone else. We are blessed to have it and should appreciate it for as long as you can. And trust me if for any reason it was ever decreed that you had to be a student to attend the game, there would be very few there. How many attend now, what is the student section capicity. A lot use the tickets as income as stated. I would like an honest answer of how many student tickets there are and how many actually show up. Any body know?

Respect your elders kids, you will want it one day not too far off. It gets here a lot quicker than you think. And trust me it SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I have season tickets which the family has had for ever. But I very seldom set in them, I let my cousins who live in town use them and have since I went in the military. I normally try to get seats in the south endzone and pretty much stand the whole game. And as strange as it may sound, I do see others my age doing the same thing. I have also seen students passed out in their seats, vomitting all over people and really enjoying the game. NOT!

Again when the shoe is on the other foot, you will all be saying the same thing as I am saying. Enjoy the game and let everyone else do so to. It is not your stadium or team any more than it is mine or anyone else. We are blessed to have it and should appreciate it for as long as you can. And trust me if for any reason it was ever decreed that you had to be a student to attend the game, there would be very few there. How many attend now, what is the student section capicity. A lot use the tickets as income as stated. I would like an honest answer of how many student tickets there are and how many actually show up. Any body know?

Respect your elders kids, you will want it one day not too far off. It gets here a lot quicker than you think. And trust me it SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe it just me, but logic tells me that I would rather have someone vomiting down below me where I don't have to worry about them vomiting down the back of my expensive leather jacket.... :angry:

I have never really seen anyone in my section that drunk...in fact, there has been very little drinking going on during the game at all, believe it or not. That is one reason I like the early games, they don't get a head start and feel like they need to keep their buzz going.....then again, neither do I! :clap

It is college football....not an AARP meeting!!!! The student section is suppose to help the players and they can also help the other fans as well if they are up cheering and yelling for the team. I do not see the point in moving the student section further away from the field just so some blue hairs can sit on their hands all game long.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that the amount of noise one makes in support of their team is not determined on whether the person is standing or sitting.

True but it is ridiculous to stand ON the bleachers. If i remember correctly they even announce something to the affect of standing and cheering but being courteous to those around you and not standing on the bleachers. They say nothing about not standing just not standing on the bleachers. Im a rather tall guy and can't see when people are standing on the bleachers. I dont mind the standing because i do it myself, its just when its up is when its a problem

R-E-S-P-E-C-T !! A fan that sits can cheer on his team just as well as those who stand. How about the young kids who go to the games and can't see....is the attitude f' them....as long as I can see?? I guess its the "ME" generation.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T !! A fan that sits can cheer on his team just as well as those who stand. How about the young kids who go to the games and can't see....is the attitude f' them....as long as I can see?? I guess its the "ME" generation.

Read my above posts- I think this is a matter of context. Some people don't want to or physically cannot stand the whole game? That's perfectly understandable- they already have 80% of the stadium. The students at NU already have the worst seats in the Big XII. Do you really need to make them worse?

When you buy tickets, you know where they are and what those sections are like. I couldn't expect to stand and scream the whole time if I was in north stadium just the same as I shouldn't expect to sit down very much if I bought tickets right behind the student section.

Read my above posts- I think this is a matter of context. Some people don't want to or physically cannot stand the whole game? That's perfectly understandable- they already have 80% of the stadium. The students at NU already have the worst seats in the Big XII. Do you really need to make them worse?

When you buy tickets, you know where they are and what those sections are like. I couldn't expect to stand and scream the whole time if I was in north stadium just the same as I shouldn't expect to sit down very much if I bought tickets right behind the student section.

My post was not directed towards you anyone else...it was directed at the attitude some have that EVERYONE should stand or stay home. As you stated, some can't or don't want to....many kids are too short. I do not think that the students should be getting jacked, and think there are perhaps better solutions out there then the one that they are putting in place but, its alwyas bothered me that some do not take the time to look at both points of view on this debate....the "ME" generation does not seem to know or care about respect of others.

I understand that it sucks to get old. I also understand that people who pay for tickets should get to see the game. But my complaint, and the complaint of most others on here, is that the student section - which many feel is the heart of the Memorial Stadium crowd - is being further marginalized. And this ins't because they're rude, breaking out into fights or throwing things on the turf. It's because they stand up too much!!1! Unfortunately the University, and apparently many posters to Huskerboard, feel the student section is nothing more than a nuisance that needs to be moved out of everyone else's way.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think anyone will argue that the student section is the loudest part of the stadium. I also don't think anyone would disagree that the rest of the stadium takes its cue from the student section. Having sat all over the stadium in my lifetime, I just haven't seen too many 30+ fans trying to get the crowd excited. Traveling to places like Notre Dame, The Swamp, College Station, we've seen other major universities with just as many major donors and 'older' fans embrace their students and make them the focal point of their home-field advantage. So why not at NU? Why not give the students a section of the west stadium so no one is behind them and they can yell in the opposing team's ears the whole game? But no, instead the university will just stick the students in a corner and hope they don't bother anybody.

It is bad enough that students were moved to a not-so-hot area now they get moved back from that? Nice. If they are going to be moved-back so folks don't have to sit behind them then they should get seats facing the actual sidelines again. It is the university team afterall and they are the ones that give us a homefield advantage.

Back in my day(late 80's, early 90's) students got decent seats.