ATH Shawn Bodtmann

For what reason?

Goes back to what I was talking about a few weeks ago. It's tough to hold a scholarship for a marginal player. Even harder to hold one for a guy that consistently stays injured, which makes it even harder to evaluate how much he has progressed.

It's tough to put it like this, but the coaches should not have offered Bodtmann when they did. Even then, Bodtmann had no film that made him look like a standout player. In the early months, offers should only go out to those who are at the top of a teams board.

Coaches screwed up with the early offer and now having to do this does make them look bad having to basically cut ties with Bodtmann. So they have to bit the bullet on this one if they ever try to go back into Pennsylvania to recruit. But in reality, the coaches did him a favor by allowing him to go to a school he will legitimately have a chance to play at and we save a scholarship for a kid who is worthy.

we offered a grey shirt....

does nebraska still do that? i thought the southern schools put the kibosh on that we the big xii was formed.

Greyshirt is just asking the kid to pay their way for a semester, then having them go on schollie for the 2nd semester. All schools do it to some point although I think we do it more than most.

we offered a grey shirt....

does nebraska still do that? i thought the southern schools put the kibosh on that we the big xii was formed.

That was the Prop 48 kids that Texas screwed us on. It actually really, really hurt NU, KSU Etc...

Want I want to know about is what the hell is Okie Lites 504 program??? Seems to me T. Boones U/Gundy devised something to sidestep the Prop 48 kids and get them enrolled without having to go to Juco. Kids like Dez Bryant and William Cole would've went to JUCO without that program. Wonder if they making up some bit about learning disorders or whatnot?? Anyone know what it is, we need it.

Willie,

If the staff no longer has confidence in Shawn's ability, why did they extend a grey shirt offer?

C.Y.A.

CYA, what does that mean? Why cover your a$$ with a guy you no longer covet?

I think they mean CYA as far as trying to maintain a decent rep in that recruiting area. Burning a kid can close doors you want open in the future.

Willie,

If the staff no longer has confidence in Shawn's ability, why did they extend a grey shirt offer?

C.Y.A.

CYA, what does that mean? Why cover your a$$ with a guy you no longer covet?

I think they mean CYA as far as trying to maintain a decent rep in that recruiting area. Burning a kid can close doors you want open in the future.

Yessir

The line of reasoning doesn’t make sense to me. The staff is still offering a scholarship in this case, it’s just a matter of when it will take effect. If you’re going to offer the kid a scholly anyway, why not just honor the first one you’ve given?

A grey shirt makes me think the staff still wants him to some degree, but is having trouble fitting kids into the class. However, there hasn’t been any recent commits (unless Eric Martin did indeed commit) and we haven’t heard about any likely academic casualties suddenly making the grade (like Bryd).

Thus i am confused. All the pieces we have don't quite seem to be adding up.

The line of reasoning doesn’t make sense to me. The staff is still offering a scholarship in this case, it’s just a matter of when it will take effect. If you’re going to offer the kid a scholly anyway, why not just honor the first one you’ve given?

A grey shirt makes me think the staff still wants him to some degree, but is having trouble fitting kids into the class. However, there hasn’t been any recent commits (unless Eric Martin did indeed commit) and we haven’t heard about any likely academic casualties suddenly making the grade (like Bryd).

Thus i am confused. All the pieces we have don’t quite seem to adding up.

I think Martin and the receiver, Washington?, are strong possibilities making this year's allotment tight. Turning into a priorities game now.