SIGNED: ATH Rex Burkhead

Rex Burkhead | ATH Hometown: Plano, TX

Plano Senior High School

Position rank: ATH # 43

Ht: 5'11" Wt: 198

Last Updated:9/19/2008 Data provided by Scouts, Inc.

Scouts Grade

78 (High Score)

Evaluation

Burkhead is one of those junk yard dogs that makes your roster meaner and tougher and we love that about him. He's a warrior, throwback type of player that will fight, scrap and sellout to get the job done and make the play. He is essentially a running back at quarterback in an option-oriented scheme, but he is so versatile and we see him being a serious safety candidate as well. He possesses a sturdy frame and is a tight-skinned athlete-- very muscular. Runs well, has great feet and has a knack for creating and getting out of trouble when asked to throw the football in an offense that is not based around throwing to win. He is gritty and tough and has leadership qualities that are out of sight. You respect his demeanor, style and hard-nosed effort. He shows good acceleration and quickness as a runner. Vision is excellent and he is no-nonsense in his running style. Cuts, jabs and gets upfield immediately. Possesses enough vision and lateral quickness to exploit cutback lanes and cut back against the grain when at the second level. Shows very good balance and pad level and is difficult to bring down. Will spin, jump-cut and do just about anything he has to in order to get extra yards and make people miss. However, Burkhead does have some limitations as well. He does show some stiffness to him and is not overly fluid in the hips. Has very good speed, but we would not term him to be a burner. He has an overachiever element to him that adds a chip on his shoulder. He doesn't show the smooth wiggle that would allow for him to make multiple defenders miss on a consistent basis. We are not so sure that in time he won't end up being a safety/strong safety candidate. He has a lot of John Lynch-type qualities to his style. The bottom line with Burkhead is that he's just a football player, plain and simple and he has excellent football smarts.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recru...6season%3d2009

Sounds like the kind of player that is right up Bo Pelini's alley, expect an all out push by our coaches to get this kid "N".

• 1 month later...

Rivals is certainly stirring the pot (last bullet point of free article):

Plano (Texas) High running back Rex Burkhead was at the Texas-Missouri game this past weekend. Burkhead has had an incredible senior season and has attracted attention from Texas coaches. More

Of course is he was going to get an offer, I think they'd have given it during the visit, and it would likely be public by now.

Any news? This kid looks like he could be a bad a for the huskers

Haven't seen anything. Guys on horns fans think Texas is telling him he'll get an offer if another recruit falls through. Also debating whether he's worth an offer or not.

How would that feel? "Hey if someone else falls through your our backup?" I would tell them to pound sand and go to someone who really wanted me then.

Haven't seen anything. Guys on horns fans think Texas is telling him he'll get an offer if another recruit falls through. Also debating whether he's worth an offer or not.

How would that feel? "Hey if someone else falls through your our backup?" I would tell them to pound sand and go to someone who really wanted me then.

you would think so, but depends how bad he wants to go there??

This is true................

This is true................

Plus, some of these recruits think they are the next best thing since sliced bread, so they don't look at the reality that they will be a backup. Especially at Texas, who is loaded.

• 3 weeks later...