Not 1s vs 1s

This is a horrible idea from the standpoint of quite a few things need to get ironed out among this team and this isn't a way to do it.

First, the defense needs an opportunity to gel. The defense is going through a complete overhaul and needs time playing alongside actual starters for a chance to learn in an actual game setting. The LBs especially need a chance to play alongside each other and not some 2nd and 3rd stringers.

The offensive line needs time to gel. The scheme in which they block has changed which is a huge thing in itself. Moreover, the offensive line will always need time playing alongside guys they will starting with.

I could go on with this, but you get the idea.

I know Bo is getting at the idea he wants to let the kids have fun, but this coming Saturday isn't exactly the best time considering what we need to continue to work on. We only get so many spring practices and right now we need to use each of them wisely. Especially when you consider where we are at defensively.

I'd personally prefer 1s versus 2s over this format.

:yeah After you stated it, I have to agree totally and change my opinion on this one...I think I was looking at in the way of competition, one team against another. I hate going to Spring Games where one team just totally dominates the other. It is fun to have it close, and be able to pick one team against the pick of someone else taking the other team...but I have to agree with your point, especially on the defensive end of things. These guys need to take every opportunity, which is limited, to get used to playing with each other.

Why not just put all the offensive players on one side, all the defensive players on the other side, and have more of a scrimmage, shuttling players in and out, maybe starting with the potential starters, then bringing in the #2 gradually, and so on? Then take a period where the punt team works against the punt return team, and then the kick-off team against that return team? It wouldn't be as much fun for some fans, that are more worried about the score, but it would give the coaches an opportunity to get a good look at the whole team. Ok....someone go ahead and tell me how this is hair brained.... :sarcasm

Well I still think it's a decent idea. From my understanding the coaches are the ones doing the draft, so depending on the coaches we may still see one team with a majority of the first strong O-line together (for example). I also like to think that the #2's have been playing quite a bit with the 1's anyways.

I'm kinda on the fence with this idea. On one hand, I completely agree with BigWillie. These units need as much time as possible to play along side one another and get a feel for what each other can do and will do.

But, on the other hand, having a mixture of players has the potential to really help some of the 2nd and 3rd stringers getting to play along side of the projected starters. Also, with the mention of starters, Bo may be sending his team a message that no positions have been set in stone yet. Maybe as a way to get everyone to work harder during the summer so that the team as a whole is that much better come fall.

I like this format better anyway....plus we don't have to worry so much about a number one taking out a number one. We just have to worry about a number two taking out a number one....lol.

:dunno With the old format all the ones were on the same team, so I dont see how we would worry less about a one taking out a one as in the old format a one never took on a one.

I think thats pretty irrelevant anyway because most injuries occur when just freak things happen not matter if its a one, two, or the kicker hitting them they could step wrong or just get hit funny.

Like carrying a TV set

I think this format works especially well for the coaching staff if the goal is to determine who our starters are going to be. Like others have said, at a lot of positions the pecking order is not set in stone. Having a draft type format provides parity between red and white and a more even test against which you can measure everyone on your team.

If this was a veteran coaching staff that had been with these players for a few years, the pecking order would probably be a lot more firm than it is for Bo at this point. In that case, I think the idea of letting your starters gel together probably makes more sense.

This is a horrible idea from the standpoint of quite a few things need to get ironed out among this team and this isn't a way to do it.

First, the defense needs an opportunity to gel. The defense is going through a complete overhaul and needs time playing alongside actual starters for a chance to learn in an actual game setting. The LBs especially need a chance to play alongside each other and not some 2nd and 3rd stringers.

The offensive line needs time to gel. The scheme in which they block has changed which is a huge thing in itself. Moreover, the offensive line will always need time playing alongside guys they will starting with.

I know Bo is getting at the idea he wants to let the kids have fun, but this coming Saturday isn't exactly the best time considering what we need to continue to work on. We only get so many spring practices and right now we need to use each of them wisely. Especially when you consider where we are at defensively.

well Bo has said all along that everyone would have a clean slate and a chance to be a starter. this way everyone has an equal chance to play and get better as a whole and develope depth at all positions.

i like the idea.........i wonder if it will be 2 players doing the draft, or 2 coaches

well Bo has said all along that everyone would have a clean slate and a chance to be a starter. this way everyone has an equal chance to play and get better as a whole and develope depth at all positions.

i like the idea.........i wonder if it will be 2 players doing the draft, or 2 coaches

I hope for the sake of team unity that it is two coaches.

Start to gel?? We don't even know the starters at most of the positions especially places like the O-Line. This will provide for great competition which is what the coaches want.

Huh? The offensive line is pretty much set and has been for most of the spring. The ONLY position that we may have a battle at is one of the guard positions once Keith proves completely healthy. Besides that, you can write it in stone that Murtha, Burkes, Hickman and Slauson will be starting this fall, barring injury.

Agreed. Plus the defense has had 14 other practices and will have all fall to "gel". Right now I think it's more getting a feel of the system rather than a feel for the other players. Developing that bond with the other players will take much more time and one showcase scrimmage isn't going to derail that.