Is Ganz a crybaby..or what?

Nice to read the comments..agreeable or not...on my original posting. I do think Ganz is an alright QB. But he needs to do what many of you have said and just concentrate on getting better instead of commenting on "slights" that he perceives from fans and previous coaches. We all want the same thing..the best player to play PERIOD. If it is Ganz...great. If it is someone else..great. I don't second guess coaches pulling the trigger on who starts. They have more riding on their decisions than we do after all.

To those of you who think Callahan started Keller last year because of his friendship with his father, I disagree. I honestly believe that Callahan thought Keller outplayed Ganz in the practices. For Callahan to risk his coaching career by playing someone who he thought was not the best QB (Keller in this case) would be odd. I remember that Keller played pretty well in the Spring game last year and certainly looked like he was good enough before his injury. As many others have said, Keller was in the same boat that Ganz was in as far as playing from behind in almost every game and having to try to score. It just didn't seem like it earlier in the year because you had higher expectations for the team and defense. Was it either Keller's or Ganz's fault that the Defense was so horrendous that they felt so much pressure to score every time to compensate?

I would say Ganz was just below Keller on the depth chart and something that helped Keller (and is helping Ganz this year) is his EXPERIENCE in playing in D1 games. If not for that, Ganz would have more of a fight on his hands. I still think Zac Lee is a better QB and will probably show it when it is his time to start...whether that be this year or next year. It could be Witt too by then.

I just want Ganz to stop talking about any "slight" he feels and play the best he can. Or actually better than that.

I was on the sidelines watching them both, and even then I didn't think Keller was noticeably better than Ganz. Different, but not necesarily better. I rememebr Joey taking one run at the end zone and diving for the corner. It struck me at the time he would try to be more of a playmaker than Sam Keller.

The kid put out the effort that the other QBs didn't. Plain and simple. And it all starts with effort.

Nice to read the comments..agreeable or not...on my original posting. I do think Ganz is an alright QB. But he needs to do what many of you have said and just concentrate on getting better instead of commenting on "slights" that he perceives from fans and previous coaches. We all want the same thing..the best player to play PERIOD. If it is Ganz...great. If it is someone else..great. I don't second guess coaches pulling the trigger on who starts. They have more riding on their decisions than we do after all.

To those of you who think Callahan started Keller last year because of his friendship with his father, I disagree. I honestly believe that Callahan thought Keller outplayed Ganz in the practices. For Callahan to risk his coaching career by playing someone who he thought was not the best QB (Keller in this case) would be odd. I remember that Keller played pretty well in the Spring game last year and certainly looked like he was good enough before his injury. As many others have said, Keller was in the same boat that Ganz was in as far as playing from behind in almost every game and having to try to score. It just didn't seem like it earlier in the year because you had higher expectations for the team and defense. Was it either Keller's or Ganz's fault that the Defense was so horrendous that they felt so much pressure to score every time to compensate?

I would say Ganz was just below Keller on the depth chart and something that helped Keller (and is helping Ganz this year) is his EXPERIENCE in playing in D1 games. If not for that, Ganz would have more of a fight on his hands. I still think Zac Lee is a better QB and will probably show it when it is his time to start...whether that be this year or next year. It could be Witt too by then.

I just want Ganz to stop talking about any "slight" he feels and play the best he can. Or actually better than that.

i agree with just wanting the guy to play, but when looking at how he played last year you have to look at the circumstances that he played in. as a few posters have mentioned we were playing from behind in all of those games except for kstate. you will throw interceptions when you are playing from behind and the D knows you are going to pass!

Kellers completion percentage was overblown due to the fact that he always threw to the iback (took the easy throw because he was afraid to throw downfield).

The same goes for ganz if we arent playing from behind this year, you can automatically expect his touchdowns, interceptions, and basically every number to be down a bit. when you throw the ball more you have more of a chance for your completion percentage to be low, with less throwing this year (as long as it is still a reasonable number) you will see ganzs completion percentage increase.

both keller and ganz are better qbs than most on this board give them credit for, however they are a different type of qb from each other and it shows. ganz will be a MUCH more productive qb than keller was this coming year, even though lee or witt will probably get more playing time throughout the year than ganz had last year.

anyone who has coached football as i currently do could see that keller was being held back last year and if it wasnt obvious enough that callahan was holding back the qbs you could really tell when he yelled at ganz for taking off and running even though he scored a td. if keller had not been held back i think he would have also been a very productive qb.

judging from what i have seen, i would rather have ganz as my qb than keller anyday just because he presents a greater threat to a defense.

i do think that either lee or witt could step up and take the job but i also think that ganz definitely deserves the chance to be starting and get most of the snaps.

I was on the sidelines watching them both, and even then I didn't think Keller was noticeably better than Ganz. Different, but not necesarily better. I rememebr Joey taking one run at the end zone and diving for the corner. It struck me at the time he would try to be more of a playmaker than Sam Keller.

The kid put out the effort that the other QBs didn't. Plain and simple. And it all starts with effort.

nicely put, i fully agree. probably the most accurate post in this thread!

I am a little tired of Ganz whining about not getting any respect last year or in previous years because he wasn't deemed good enough to be the starter. "Oh...fans and media thought Keller and all the 4 & 5 star recruits were better than I am"...wah wah....I have news for Ganz...he may not be good enough to start this year either if we have someone with more talent and more experience under their belt. He is very fortunate that Zac Lee was injured last year and is only now getting quality reps this Spring or he could easily unseat Ganz. Witt could probably do the same. The one thing Ganz has going for him this year is the experience in the offense. I think he is an average QB ...at best. That is the reason why he better look over his shoulder. He certainly isn't one of the top notch QB's in the Big 12 based on what he did last year (in my opinion). He is quick to tell how many records he broke last year in the 3 games he played. He went up against one decent defense in the three games (Kansas) and threw some pretty pathetic passes that were INT's or right to opposing players that could have been even more INT's. And he was off the mark on so many passes, it wasn't funny. The guy has got to get a grip. He is not the best thing since sliced bread. Geez.

Really!! When did he whine about not getting playing time, I must have missed that article. Everything that I have read about the kid said nothing as to what you are implying. The latest article talked about how the lack of respect has pushed him, and rightly so.

Well Pelini and Watson must be complete morons if they starts Ganz, according to your evaluation.

I'm not pro or anti Ganz, I just think it is stupid to rip on a kid and his talents.

If Lee is better than Ganz you don't think Pelini and Watson will figure that out, and make the necessary adjustments???

To be a Bigtime QB, you have to be a little cocky and full of yourself.

Bull.

you cant tell me that it doesnt help, i wouldnt want a qb that is always doubting himself.

honestly though i dont think he was crying about anything or being cocky and i have read these same articles. he was telling how he felt, etc. how would any of you feel if everyone outside of the team thought that keller was the man, having never seen him play AT nebraska. i mean give the guy a break, i would have been more than a little p-d off.

You don't have to be cocky and full of yourself to have confidence. There IS a middle ground.

most good players are cocky...... on the field. when It shows up outside of that is when you get problems

I think that Ganz was responding honestly to a reporter's question and not trying to air dirty laundry. He's probably short on PR experience as well as game experience.

I agree that coaches want to win. Having been a youth coach, I had the team's intrests in mind while parents had their kids intrests first. I don't want NU fans split into QB factions - trust the coach who sees the players every day. If the coach makes poor decisions he can go to the Jets.

On experience, I would like to see more players get a series or two in the second quarter when the game is on the line - if Ganz had this type of experience throughout the year he would have been more prepared and maybe have gone 2-1. Damn, I am admiring Pinkel's coaching

I remember that Keller played pretty well in the Spring game last year against Coz's D, high school junior varsity quarterbacks would look good. :sarcasm

I dunno- I empathize with Ganz. Principally with what he said about the recruiting business and what that can do to players. I think Callahan put too much faith in the recruiting services and I'm sure that Ganz resented that, which is perfectly understandable. I know that if I were a quarterback who was busting my hump to get playing time, I would really come to hate that two star rating if my coach put any stock in it. I would constantly be wondering who that clown was who gave me a two star rating and why he gave it to me.

I would especially resent the two star rating after seeing marginal quarterbacks like Sam Keller or really terrible quarterbacks like Harrison Beck start over me- mostly because of hype.

Sure Ganz is no Tom Brady, but I can understand how he could resent the notion that he will always be a backup two star quarterback. That label would be really irritating. I would probably be bitching too.

Ganz's INT's came in games where NU was behind bigtime and everyone knew that he was going to throw the ball.

nobody gave him respect last year, and quite a few of you are still giving him no respect.

sure he has only had 3 starts, and 2 of the three were not very good teams, but he still had 3 pretty good games. to bad the defense wasnt very good though

Well I can name two picks after the half where Nebraska was up against Colorado that changed the whole reflection of the game.