Pelini, Husker football need tougher standards

This is freaking stupid, whomever at the DN wrote this knows jack.

Christensen is already a member of the team so he got suspended. WILLIAMS IS NOT ON THE TEAM YET, you can't suspend him. Bo would suspend Williams if he could. All you can do is yank his schollie, and yanking it ignores the fact you are SUPPOSED to be considered innocent til proven guilty. We gotta wait to see how this Williams-business plays-out, from what I understand the charges may be trumped-up.

It should also be noted that Bo likely knows significantly more about Christensen's incident than Williams's, so he has more from which to make a judgment on.

You beat me to it!!!! This article is worthless because it portrays Bo in the wrong light. It makes it look like, already, he is going to let them get away with anything. That's so far from the truth it's ridiculous. He has to wait for all the facts and make his decision from there.

:yeah It is the DN, almost every article they write is worthless. There is a reason why I always vote against any student fees going to that POS paper.

This article makes some good points, the problem is that it is too soon. What would the author want Bo to do? Hold a press conference and say that we are no longer offering the scholarship? He can yank that thing at any time. The smart thing to do is to wait and see. If the kid looks like a bad seed then you can tell him to take a hike later.

I do like the line about this being a privilege. Many of these students athletes do seem to think it is their right to play. It is not. Of course, this kid will get a scholarship somewhere no matter what, so maybe they are not that far off after all.

The reference to TO and LP is ridiculous. TO has repeatedly said that he made the wrong decision and would do it differently if he had the chance. Each situation is different. The question I want them all to ask is...

If [insert student athlete here] was playing 4th string what would I do? Answer that question and then do it. (easier said than done)

Settle down people!!!! As it was stated above, how can you suspend a kid who is not even on the team yet? If he is proven guilty of this, I am sure it will be looked at then on what to do. It seems as if the DN is just trying to stir up some dirt so they can actually have people respond to their articles....

I think Bo has done more for this team discipline wise then BC did during his entire torturous tenure.

Personally I think the DN is making up the whole "Bo called us up and berated us" thing up, either that or the people at the DN put the phone on speaker phone in which everybody could hear it which isn't right IMO. I wouldn't want to be put on speaker phone without my permission.

Personally I think the DN is making up the whole "Bo called us up and berated us" thing up, either that or the people at the DN put the phone on speaker phone in which everybody could hear it which isn't right IMO. I wouldn't want to be put on speaker phone without my permission.

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25975

Don't think it was made up...but you only got their version of the story, also. :clap

The writer of the article seems a bit out of touch really.

The recruit mentioned, is A- not on campus yet, not even enrolled. And B- not convicted of anything at this point. Innocent until proven guilty remember.

Culbert has not been in any trouble since getting to the program, seems to me this is a good case of turning himself around.

And what exactly does he think Witt needs to have done to him? Throw him out for being a college student who got drunk and made a couple stupid mistakes involving a girl? If that was the case, a very large number of people, athletes or not, would get throw out.

No one has had a felony charge. I want to see the numbers on the non-athletes on scholarships who have been ticketed for something. When you get down to all things being equal, the athletes usually have better graduation rates, and fewer problems than the general student body. If any of these guys had scholarships to, say, the engineering dept. no one would care if they got a ticket for being drunk and stupid. So, by all means, lets overpunish the people who already have the most pressure on them.

As far as whatever the internal punishment has been, and I'm sure there has been some, what good would it serve to make it public, these kids already have more attention on them than almost anyone else living in the state(quick, name a state senator who ISNT Ernie Chambers).

While I do question the reliable, credibility, accuracy, etc of the DN (especially with a lot of the recent news surrounding the DN..) just remember (no matter how wrong or right the writer's opinion..) the posted article was an editorial..

While the DN may 'represent' the University, there is a fine line between supporting the school and attempting to be a good news group by reporting both the good and the bad..

Right or wrong.. just remember, the DN is what it is. A student newspaper with students running it..