Pelini Blocks DN, Reverses Decision

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=uw...e&type=lgns

Staff Editorial, Daily Nebraskan 5 hours, 12 minutes ago

(UWIRE) LINCOLN, Neb.—On Monday, for a few tense hours, the Daily Nebraskan was banned from attending football practice.

This ugly reminder of a similar situation we moved past weeks ago first surfaced after we published Monday’s staff editorial on discipline and Husker football.

Our essential goal was to decry what we feel is a lack of sufficient transparency when it comes to Husker football’s handling of disciplinary matters.

We named names, and cited specific cases where we thought the Athletic Department should have done more to keep the public abreast on the way it works to make sure these problems are handled.

We maintain it was our right to make the assertion that we did. As an editorial board and a moderator in a public forum, it is our position that we have a duty to facilitate and promote discussion on matters of public concern.

ADVERTISEMENT

This is what we were trying to accomplish; Coach Bo Pelini did not agree.

After seeing the staff editorial, Pelini called our office and berated one of our board members so loudly that he was heard clearly from across the newsroom. There’s no real point in printing the choice phrases he used during that first phone call.

But Pelini informed us the Daily Nebraskan’s relationship with the football program would be severed unless an exhaustive retraction was published on today’s front page. Athletic Department personnel confirmed Pelini’s decision later in the day, and asked that our reporters and photographers not show up at Monday’s practice while politely asking the one writer who did to leave.

It was tough for us not to think of the events of a couple weeks past, when Gov. Dave Heineman’s press officers outrageously threatened to prohibit us from public meetings when we published a story they didn’t find agreeable. But this editorial isn’t designed to beat a dead horse.

We were discouraged by Pelini’s initial reaction. We find it appalling that Pelini originally determined the best method of responding to our calls for increased transparency was childishly trying to keep our sports reporters from doing their jobs.

We demand that not only our sports reporters but any other reporters hold fast to standards of journalistic integrity and excellence in their work, and leave the soapboxing to the opinion section. At first, it seemed that distinction wasn’t getting across.

Then, after Monday’s practice, a much calmer Pelini made a couple return calls to the Daily Nebraskan.

He explained he didn’t think it was responsible of the editorial board to use the names of players who haven’t yet gone through the legal system, or the names of those who went through the system a year ago and seemed to have shaped up since. He stressed he was tough when it came to team discipline, but that sometimes matters had to be dealt with from within.

Therefore, he said, the tone and conclusion of Monday’s editorial was unfounded.

Fair enough, Coach, but we still disagree.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your decision to lift the short-lived media ban and come back to the situation to find a way to settle things peacefully.

In the coming days, one of our football writers will publish an article examining Pelini’s doctrine on team discipline. We hope it’s able to provide an objective look at part of the inner workings of Husker Football, a realm reserved for a few fortunate and highly-talented young athletes.

On Monday, Pelini said he didn’t mind media attention and criticism, as long as it was done fairly.

That’s always our goal.

IMHO they are trying to push Pelini's buttons and make controversy. They see the "liberal press" at other universities on the west coast in particular, and think they want to be like them - always stirring the pot with controversial articles.

Hopefully by Pelini kicking them out of practice for a day, he was able to drive home a subtle message and they got it. They also need to realize that the people in Nebraska will line up behind the coach way before they will a bunch of snot nosed kids trying to play like real journalists.

I have truly mixed feelings about this situation. I applaud Coach Pelini for protecting his players, especially when a person charged with a crime has not formally gone through the legal system. But, this situation sounds very very similar to Coach Gundy's reaction last year at Okie State. I would caution Pelini in acting out in this way ever again in fear of pissing the press off for good. I believe their needs to be a mutual respect between the athletic department and the press because explosions like this one will never look good for the department and the program will never ever be able to control the press. Coach Pelini has a program to represent and cannot afford to be lambasted in the press all the time cause he pissed some people off at DN or wherever. It's a fight he can't win so tred lightly coach.

With that said, I am PUMPED for the spring game!!!

I have truly mixed feelings about this situation. I applaud Coach Pelini for protecting his players, especially when a person charged with a crime has not formally gone through the legal system. But, this situation sounds very very similar to Coach Gundy's reaction last year at Okie State. I would caution Pelini in acting out in this way ever again in fear of pissing the press off for good. I believe their needs to be a mutual respect between the athletic department and the press because explosions like this one will never look good for the department and the program will never ever be able to control the press. Coach Pelini has a program to represent and cannot afford to be lambasted in the press all the time cause he pissed some people off at DN or wherever. It's a fight he can't win so tred lightly coach.

With that said, I am PUMPED for the spring game!!!

:yeah

I'm a little disappointed in Bo's initial response..

I don't usually look at whether a certain news story should be considered Liberal or conservative like the Trucker, but anytime freedom of the press shows the slightest occurrence of being hindered, my back hairs stand up.

Wonder who calmed BP down.. <_<

I would expect this from local media surrounding Cal, USC or any other liberal university; not Nebraska. I would hope the Daily Nebraskan's main objective is to support the university; not tear it down, especially when it comes to naming kids who haven't even been to court to hear the charges against them.

Good ol' Boys network?

I could see it as a secondary objective, but I'd also hope the 1st 3 objectives would be to report facts and leave the opinion to the readers.

I would expect this from local media surrounding Cal, USC or any other liberal university; not Nebraska. I would hope the Daily Nebraskan's main objective is to support the university; not tear it down, especially when it comes to naming kids who haven't even been to court to hear the charges against them.

Good ol' Boys network?

I could see it as a secondary objective, but I'd also hope the 1st 3 objectives would be to report facts and leave the opinion to the readers.

Which clearly did not happen in this case. Opinion and conjecture are what are at issue. The article that started this fiasco, had opinions that certain players should, in the editor's opinion, be kicked off the team and out of the University for what amounts to tickets. And in the case of Culbert, seemed to imply that he should be removed, for things that he did not do while a student at UNL, and prior, by two years, to Pelini's arrival.

The Editors seem to be of the impression that the football players need to be held to a much higher standard than what the average scholarship student is. If they want to 'name names', then be fair about it. Who in the engineering, journalism, or any other area of study have similar legal encounters of the football players mentioned. The football players already have media scrutiny beyond anyone else in the university system.

The editors, in this case at the very least, seem to be more like Trolls than journalists.

Good ol' Boys network?

Which clearly did not happen in this case. Opinion and conjecture are what are at issue. The article that started this fiasco, had opinions that certain players should, in the editor's opinion, be kicked off the team and out of the University for what amounts to tickets. And in the case of Culbert, seemed to imply that he should be removed, for things that he did not do while a student at UNL, and prior, by two years, to Pelini's arrival.

The Editors seem to be of the impression that the football players need to be held to a much higher standard than what the average scholarship student is. If they want to 'name names', then be fair about it. Who in the engineering, journalism, or any other area of study have similar legal encounters of the football players mentioned. The football players already have media scrutiny beyond anyone else in the university system.

The editors, in this case at the very least, seem to be more like Trolls than journalists.

I believe the players should be held to a higher standard, they are representatives of the university. However, unless they are charged in a public setting for a crime, any disciplinary action should be the decision of the university or coaching staff. AND it should be their decision to make it public or not, as well as what the consequence is to the player.

It is not up to the media to make any decisions on discipline. It is their job to report, and since the Daily Nebraskan IS representing the university also, it should not be out looking for a fight with the coaching staff or the university. I believe in free press, but we don't need bad press coming from within the university itself. That is the job of outside media. The Daily Nebraskan should be painting the university it represents in a more positive light IMO, since it is funded by the university.

Good ol' Boys network?

I believe the players should be held to a higher standard, they are representatives of the university. However, unless they are charged in a public setting for a crime, any disciplinary action should be the decision of the university or coaching staff. AND it should be their decision to make it public or not, as well as what the consequence is to the player.

It is not up to the media to make any decisions on discipline. It is their job to report, and since the Daily Nebraskan IS representing the university also, it should not be out looking for a fight with the coaching staff or the university. I believe in free press, but we don't need bad press coming from within the university itself. That is the job of outside media. The Daily Nebraskan should be painting the university it represents in a more positive light IMO, since it is funded by the university.

They already are held to a higher standard. Everything they do is reported at the very least state wide, if it doesnt make the national new cycles. What the editors seem to be asking for is a 1 strike you're out rule. None of the players mentioned in the article are to this point repeat offenders.

The type of article this is has less to do with news and transparency and is more in the line of tabloid journalism, or infotainment. Regardless of weather or not the players are on full rides, there is some level of privacy that they deserve.

Good ol' Boys network?

While I agree with all of your points (Although I think the author wasn't blatantly stating what should be done..Just insinuatin'..And bitchin' about Bo not telling anything yet).

We still need the DN and the local media to keep our program at a higher standard than the rest of the student population..Better them, than the NCAA..The Players behavior isn't going to be compared with the general population, they're going to be compared with the USC's the Penn State's..Even the Miami Hurricanes of the '80's if it's allowed to get bad enough.

It's a tough call, though.

Sorta like all the propaganda during my Dad's formative years painting the Japanese as the Devil in order to get the nation to pull together as a whole and win WW11. If only the truth were written, History would probably be a lot different (in a bad way).

You now hear about the press turning the other way when JFK had his affair(s), where now he'd never get away with it..In many ways, we were better off not knowing.

I always gave the DN the benefit of the doubt..I'm probably wrong, but I always had the impression that they were learning how to write and shouldn't be considered professionals, yet.

Theoretically, EVERY student represents the University, but Publicly...You're right..The Players will/should be held to a higher std.

Daily Nebraskan should be painting the university it represents in a more positive light

Not if they later plan to write for a legitimate news service..Be good for writin' company portfolios, though.

What am I saying? "Legitimate news service" sounds like an OXYMORON

It's sad, but many of us seem to need editors to supply us with opinion and conjecture so we know what (how?) to think..

Good ol' Boys network?

They already are held to a higher standard. Everything they do is reported at the very least state wide, if it doesnt make the national new cycles. What the editors seem to be asking for is a 1 strike you're out rule. None of the players mentioned in the article are to this point repeat offenders.

The type of article this is has less to do with news and transparency and is more in the line of tabloid journalism, or infotainment. Regardless of weather or not the players are on full rides, there is some level of privacy that they deserve.

Sometimes a strike is a strike, sometimes the first strike is a foul ball that don't get caught, then there is the 1st strike that is a foul ball that is an out...

But I do agree with you - most of the time. I don't think you kick someone off if they make a mistake that can be repaired and/or one that they can learn from and be a better person. But if there is a trail of similar mistakes, or if it indicates a flaw in one's character, I have a hard time over looking those. This is where judgment comes into play. We have to trust Bo's judgment until we have reason not to. I don't want to start 2nd guessing Bo already...there has been too much of that going on the last 4 or even 5 years. It is time to get back to the old Nebraska way of doing things, and being able to trust those that we put in the position to make such decisions.

Sometimes a strike is a strike, sometimes the first strike is a foul ball that don't get caught, then there is the 1st strike that is a foul ball that is an out...

But I do agree with you - most of the time. I don't think you kick someone off if they make a mistake that can be repaired and/or one that they can learn from and be a better person. But if there is a trail of similar mistakes, or if it indicates a flaw in one's character, I have a hard time over looking those. This is where judgment comes into play. We have to trust Bo's judgment until we have reason not to. I don't want to start 2nd guessing Bo already...there has been too much of that going on the last 4 or even 5 years. It is time to get back to the old Nebraska way of doing things, and being able to trust those that we put in the position to make such decisions.

I like that Bo says he's treating each "ocurance" individually.

I sometimes think the Justice system should do more of the same thing..Just too much chance for abuse of the system.

After the last 4-5-6 seasons, I doubt we can (or should) ever go back.

You can almost here the sarcastic bull$hit tone of this person writing this article when you read it. I do think the story they printed tried to make Bo look bad and make it look like he didn't take care of problems when that's not true. The latest problem hasn't even had time to develop fully and the press is already attacking the kid when the facts are obviously skewed. I think the press in general are worthless and only want a good story instead of the truth.

I sometimes think the Justice system should do more of the same thing..Just too much chance for abuse of the system.

Sure we can....we just have to be able to defend the notion that we can, and convince the disbelievers that it does work. If you hire good people to lead, you trust them to bring the results you are looking for. I believe we have hired the right guy...nobody else would have worked at this point in time. That is what I believe in my heart and mind.

:boxosoap I invite anyone to join me in this belief. Where two or more believe....all things are possible.

Sure we can....we just have to be able to defend the notion that we can, and convince the disbelievers that it does work. If you hire good people to lead, you trust them to bring the results you are looking for. I believe we have hired the right guy...nobody else would have worked at this point in time. That is what I believe in my heart and mind.

:boxosoap I invite anyone to join me in this belief. Where two or more believe....all things are possible.

Funny..At the end of the article there was a link to Bulls’ confidence running high after last year’s breakout season

Made me wonder if the Editor(s) placed that there on purpose to get the Pro-Gill crowd riled up :box