QB Controversy

Why is Ganz so horrible?

He's a good QB, what is left to see?

We saw how Witt and Lee handled themselves in the Spring Game. And it wasn't close to how Ganz looked.

Ganz is FAST on his feet and can scramble well enough to keep plays alive.

The players trust him and have faith in him.

As people are saying, Ganz is a decent QB, nobody is denying that. As far as how he looked in the spring game, He has been in this system for four years now, he knows the offense in and out. Thats why he will start. As far as pure ability goes I really think Witt and Lee both have an edge, but will not start this years because of the LACK OF KNOWLEDGE. I think if they were all of the same level as far as system experience and knowledge than Ganz would most likely not start.

But really, right now Ill take a QB who knows the system and is pretty decent than a QB with a bit better skills but severe lack in knowledge. IE: Keller last year.

And from the stats, Ganz didn't look A TON better. HE does have more yards but he also had a 77 yard TD pass.

Passing C-A-I Yds TD Long Sack

Witt, P. 6-12-1 61 0 17 1

Lee, Z. 6-11-0 87 1 38 2

Ebke, J. 2-3-0 8 0 8 0

Totals 14-26-1 156 1 38 3

Passing C-A-I Yds TD Long Sack

Ganz, J. 4-9-0 131 2 77 3

Spano, K. 4-6-0 47 0 15 0

Davis, B. 1-5-0 48 0 48 1

Witt, P. 2-3-0 17 0 12 0

Totals 11-23-0 243 2 77 4

now im not saying that ganz is superman but explain how an average player throws for over 400 yards against a top ten team(kansas)

Do I need to start this argument again? Kansas did not have a great defense last year. They played a VERY weak schedule and that is why they stayed a top ten team.

Not to mention, When you throw the ball as many times as we did you are bound to rack up quite a few yards.

now im not saying that ganz is superman but explain how an average player throws for over 400 yards against a top ten team(kansas)

Do I need to start this argument again? Kansas did not have a great defense last year. They played a VERY weak schedule and that is why they stayed a top ten team.

Not to mention, When you throw the ball as many times as we did you are bound to rack up quite a few yards.

you are right, it was a pretty weak schedule but they still beat va tech in their bowl game. it doesnt matter how many times you throw the ball if you dont have skills you wont complete the passes. oh and coming in cold against texas and throwing a td pass... or did they have a weak schedule too?

Sigh, Not another one of these posts. Ill agree with the few that say Ganz is average at best. Yes, he put up fantastic numbers last year, against very weak to average defenses and all we did in those games was throw throw throw. I think he will put up decent numbers this year and I'm not really worried about it but I can't stand the people who come in and say he is SUPER SWEET and all this other crap. He knows the offense very well and he has been in the lineup for four years. THAT is why is is the starter. If Witt or Lee had the experience and the offensive kowledge than they would most likely start over Ganz as I do feel that both have major plus's over Ganz as far as full out ability goes, but as of right now Yes Ganz is our best/most knowledgeable in the system.

I didn't say he was "super sweet", i just said he hasn't shown me anything that makes him seem as bad as some of you think he is. He's not a superstar QB, but he is servicable and could have a decent season. I do agree with Beer drinkin skers fan, if he is that bad, how does he throw for 400 yards? That requires at least some skill.

Sigh, Not another one of these posts. Ill agree with the few that say Ganz is average at best. Yes, he put up fantastic numbers last year, against very weak to average defenses and all we did in those games was throw throw throw. I think he will put up decent numbers this year and I'm not really worried about it but I can't stand the people who come in and say he is SUPER SWEET and all this other crap. He knows the offense very well and he has been in the lineup for four years. THAT is why is is the starter. If Witt or Lee had the experience and the offensive kowledge than they would most likely start over Ganz as I do feel that both have major plus's over Ganz as far as full out ability goes, but as of right now Yes Ganz is our best/most knowledgeable in the system.

I didn't say he was "super sweet", i just said he hasn't shown me anything that makes him seem as bad as some of you think he is. He's not a superstar QB, but he is servicable and could have a decent season. I do agree with Beer drinkin skers fan, if he is that bad, how does he throw for 400 yards? That requires at least some skill.

I never once said he was a bad QB. I said he will be a decent QB and have a decent season but nothing special. And Beer.. He came in and threw a TD pass against Texas.. Wow. I sure don't know of any other QBs who have done that before.

I think people are taking my response in the wrong way. Ganz is nothing special, he will get us through the season with a average season and nothing more. Im confident he will do well enough this year and help us get 8 or 9 wins and I wish him luck in all that he does afterwards. I am just sick of people throwing up all these stats from the last 3 games last year and saying how awesome he is because of it. It was 3 games, against very mediocre to weak defenses. Period.

If he comes out this year and proves me wrong then so be it, but as of right now nothing he did last year impressed me.

I dont think sooo because last time we had this argument.....I'm pretty sure your account got suspended....nice to see you back though ;)

I dont think sooo because last time we had this argument.....I'm pretty sure your account got suspended....nice to see you back though ;)

Lmao. Truth. It was fun though.

Lmao. Truth. It was fun though.

No doubt :koolaid2:

why does everyone think he is just average?

he put up great numbers in all three starts last season and the 7 ints, most were because he was trying to get us back in the game.

if we can use our rbs mostly and play action and other passes in there every now and then, joe will be an above average qb I think.

Thank You, someone finally agrees with me. Ganz did ok in his starts and hasn't shown me reason to think he is going to suck it up this year.

That sounds "average" to me....

What interests me is that Taylor didn't face this much doubt and if anything I'd say he was working with less ability than Ganz. Neither has a particularly strong arm but Ganz has enough wheels to be truly dangerous on the scrambles and spread-option. Taylor wasn't Bernie Kosar, he was good for the occaisional nice scramble but I woudn't run a zone-read with him. Plus Ganz has been in this system a long-ass time, in our system that is big.

Ganz may not be Chase Daniels and be up for the heisman, but he is no shmoe either. He'll get the job done.

Bah...if you are a scholarship QB on a D1 college football roster you are already above average...if you weren't, you would be playing for Northwest Missouri State or South Dakota State or somewhere like that. Thus, all NU QB's are already more than "average". And...since they are scholarship QBs on a BCS team, they are all better than above average...that would put them more in the realm of "good". And since Ganz is the front runner of the three or four QB's on the roster...that would probably place him in the "really good" catagory.

Ganz is really good...he has to be or he wouldn't be here.

Bah...if you are a scholarship QB on a D1 college football roster you are already above average...if you weren't, you would be playing for Northwest Missouri State or South Dakota State or somewhere like that. Thus, all NU QB's are already more than "average". And...since they are scholarship QBs on a BCS team, they are all better than above average...that would put them more in the realm of "good". And since Ganz is the front runner of the three or four QB's on the roster...that would probably place him in the "really good" catagory.

Ganz is really good...he has to be or he wouldn't be here.

:yeah