Height: 6'1"

Weight: 255 lbs.

40 time: 4.9

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska,

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star:star:star (#71DT)

Big Red Report: :star :star :star (#51DT)

Assessing the talent: per scout, Randle was a second team all-district selection as a junior last year at North Shore. Randle had 80 tackles and seven sacks in his junior campaign.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 100% He's N

Player: Thaddeus Randle

Hometown: Galena Park, TX

Position: DT

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 255 lbs.

40 time: 4.9

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska,

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report: :star

Assessing the talent: per scout, Randle was a second team all-district selection as a junior last year at North Shore. Randle had 80 tackles and seven sacks in his junior campaign.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 100% He's N

he'll go up pretty quick in rating if he keeps his production the same.

This is from LJS blog-

Thaddeus Randle, a defensive lineman from Galena Park, Texas, gave his commitment to Nebraska on Monday afternoon.

The 6-foot-1, 260-pound Randle accepted an offer from Nebraska less than two weeks after first being courted by the Huskers. Randle attends North Shore High school, the alma mater of former Oklahoma State quarterback Bobby Reid.

"I talked to (Bo Pelini) earlier in the day," Randle said Monday night. "He's like, We're ready.' He was jacked up about it."

While Randle isn't the biggest in stature, he does run a 4.9 in the 40, quick feet for an inside guy. His high school coach, David Aymond, called Randle "relentless" and "an excellent technician."

Husker linebackers coach Mike Ekeler was the primary recruiter of Randle.

"Coach Ekeler, I've known him for for a long time and I've known Bo Pelini for a long time," said Aymond, whose team went 14-1 last season. "I think that side of it opened the door for our contact.

"I think Thaddeus and his family see it as a chance to be part of a program on the rise, because it will be on the rise with the changing of the guard. It is the Big Red program and it always will be."

Randle becomes the third known commitment of the 2009 recruiting class, joining fellow defensive tackle Cole Pensick (Lincoln Northeast) and Pennsylvani linebacker Shawn Bodtmann.

Great news. Brings more athleticism to a group that greaty lacks it. :box

I think you will be pleasantly supprised with what we have. I've said it for a while now. We have the talent, we had no coaching. I don't know if you know any of those guys but if you talk to them or thier families, they'd tell you..... There was little to no coaching for those guys. I think the D line will do good this year and I for one can't wait.

GBR

on rivals it says he is being compared to someone that bo coached at lsu...?

Sounds like a reference to Glenn Dorsey.

Someone mentioned in the other thread that 6'1 is short for a DT...I've heard the contrary, that DT's can't be too tall.

The kid is only a junior, he can still grow a little. I'll trust Bo and Co on their offers, I think he has a good grasp of guys that can come-in and play husker-football.

But I still want to see us start winning recruiting-battles. We haven't yet. None of our three commits had another good offer(at the time, could definitely have happened later). We gotta be able to go head-to-head with solid BCS programs and pull commits. Then I'll feel good about our recruiting.

Someone mentioned in the other thread that 6'1 is short for a DT...I've heard the contrary, that DT's can't be too tall.

It is on the short side but not out of the question. From nfl.com. here is the list of DTs taken in the draft and their height (the top two DTs taken were 6'2", Dorsey, and 6'1", Ellis):

Bryant, Red 6'5"

Dorsey, Glenn 6'2"

Ellis, Sedrick 6'1"

Fluellen, Andre 6'2"

Guion, Letroy 6'4"

Harrison, Marcus 6'3"

Hayden, Nick 6'4"

Langford, Kendall 6'6"

Laws, Trevor 6'1"

Moore, Dre 6'4"

Okam, Frank 6'5"

Powell, Carlton 6'3"

Pressley, DeMario 6'3"

Rubin, Ahtyba 6'3"

Shirley, Jason 6'5"

Sims, Pat 6'2"

Edit: Whoops I guess Husker Rob beat me to it.

NU Football: Tackle commits to Nebraska

Huskers add d-lineman to recruiting class

BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 12:20:04 am CDT

His coach used words like relentless and attacking, “an excellent technician.”

No, Nebraska’s latest football commitment, Thaddeus Randle, isn’t the biggest defensive tackle you’ll find.

He’s 6-foot-11/2, about 260 pounds. But he also runs the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds, fast for a guy on the inside. And maybe even more important than that: “He has a low center of gravity,” said his high school coach, David Aymond. “His feet never quit.”

[+]Enlarge

Story Photo

Husker football coach Bo Pelini. (AP file)

Story Photo

Husker football coach Bo Pelini. (AP file)

So when it comes to winning the battle of leverage in the trenches, the player from Galena Park, Texas, does so more often than not.

Nebraska coaches saw enough to like that they offered Randle a scholarship.

And on Monday, only about a week and a half after the Huskers first started courting him, Randle called NU coach Bo Pelini to tell him he was coming aboard.

“(Pelini’s) like, ‘We’re ready.’ He was jacked up about it,” Randle said.

Randle has started at North Shore High School — located in the Houston area and the alma mater of former Oklahoma State quarterback Bobby Reid — since his sophomore year. That’s not easy to do, said Aymond, whose team went 14-1 last season.

Aymond and some of his assistants who played at LSU were familiar with Pelini and Husker linebackers coach Mike Ekeler, the primary recruiter of Randle.

“I think that side of it opened the door for our contact,” Aymond said. “Still, that doesn’t help you land players. You have to recruit on credibility and do a selling job. (Ekeler’s) very intense and that’s the way it is at our place. And it shows in Thaddeus’ play.”

The third known commitment for NU’s 2009 recruiting class, Randle becomes the second defensive tackle on the list, joining Lincoln Northeast standout Cole Pensick. The Huskers also have a commitment from Pennsylvania linebacker Shawn Bodtmann.

Randle said he liked the program’s tradition, but also the feeling he got about how Nebraska’s coaches connect with players.

Yeah, Randle said, Ekeler is definitely intense.

“I liked it, though. He was talking how he liked the way I move my feet, my hand placement and stuff. I never stop running to the ball.”

Aymond said he sees Randle as the type of player who will grow right along with the Husker program.

“I think Thaddeus and his family see it as a chance to be part of a program on the rise, because it will be on the rise with the changing of the guard,” Aymond said.

Reach Brian Christopherson at 473-7439 or bchristopherson@journalstar.com.

It is on the short side but not out of the question. From nfl.com. here is the list of DTs taken in the draft and their height (the top two DTs taken were 6'2", Dorsey, and 6'1", Ellis):

On the other hand, he is pretty light at this point. Here is the same list with weights listed. (Both Ellis and Dorsey are north of 300lbs):

Bryant, Red 6'5" 328

Dorsey, Glenn 6'2" 316

Ellis, Sedrick 6'1" 305

Fluellen, Andre 6'2" 296

Guion, Letroy 6'4" 303

Harrison, Marcus 6'3" 310

Hayden, Nick 6'4" 291

Langford, Kendall 6'6" 295

Laws, Trevor 6'1" 304

Moore, Dre 6'4" 305

Okam, Frank 6'5" 320

Powell, Carlton 6'3" 300

Pressley, DeMario 6'3" 301

Rubin, Ahtyba 6'3" 315

Shirley, Jason 6'5" 329

Sims, Pat 6'2" 310

I guess the coaches believe they can add some weight at the training table without losing too much in the way of speed.

On the other hand, he is pretty light at this point. Here is the same list with weights listed. (Both Ellis and Dorsey are north of 300lbs):

I guess the coaches believe they can add some weight at the training table without losing too much in the way of speed.

Uhh, let's keep in mind that he is 17 years old right now, and the people on that list are at least 22 with 3+ years of college weight training. There really isn't a comparison to be made here.

His dimensions are fine, and Bo and Carl know how to work with athletic DTs.