SIGNED: DT Thaddeus Randle

Uhh, let's keep in mind that he is 17 years old right now, and the people on that list are at least 22 with 3+ years of college weight training. There really isn't a comparison to be made here.

His dimensions are fine, and Bo and Carl know how to work with athletic DTs.

Good point. Won't need him to start right away either.

The height is really only important for a nose tackle, if you're 6'5" and getting double teamed, they're going to get leverage pretty easily. A 4-3 tackle, I don't think it matters so much.

Honestly, as a defensive coach, I prefer a shorter DT (if they are strong) because the OG can more readily get his power below the shoulder pads of your DT if the DT is tall than is the case if the DT is shorter. So, a shorter bull, ideally a quick shorter bull with a motor is ideal. I surmise this is the case with Thaddeous --- I doubt that Bo Pelini would offer a guy who was not someone he thought would be good. So, if Bo likes the guy, then I certainly am pleased to have him. Those that pointed out that his weight might be light --- well, again, as others have well responded, he'll grow. What you look for is heart, motor, footwork, leverage, quickness. Height --- not an issue (or, if so, give me 6'1" over 6'5"). Apparently Bo like the kids heart, motor, technique and leverage --- sounds great to me.

Welcome aboard Thaddeus Randle

Someone mentioned in the other thread that 6'1 is short for a DT...I've heard the contrary, that DT's can't be too tall.

It is on the short side but not out of the question. From nfl.com. here is the list of DTs taken in the draft and their height (the top two DTs taken were 6'2", Dorsey, and 6'1", Ellis):

Bryant, Red 6'5"

Dorsey, Glenn 6'2"

Ellis, Sedrick 6'1"

Fluellen, Andre 6'2"

Guion, Letroy 6'4"

Harrison, Marcus 6'3"

Hayden, Nick 6'4"

Langford, Kendall 6'6"

Laws, Trevor 6'1"

Moore, Dre 6'4"

Okam, Frank 6'5"

Powell, Carlton 6'3"

Pressley, DeMario 6'3"

Rubin, Ahtyba 6'3"

Shirley, Jason 6'5"

Sims, Pat 6'2"

Edit: Whoops I guess Husker Rob beat me to it.

This is College not the NFL. The problem is that Callahan could never figure that out either.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...