RB David Oku

Well, I don't want to go by that because if he looked on Rivals he would see NU has to Rb commits, both Zimmer, is definitely a fullback but is listed as a running back. Also Robinson is more of a bruser back, which would compliment Oku, but at first glance he would say the NU has 2 running back commits. Maybe the other schools are like that, maybe they are not, but Running backs are not a position you usually can go off of how many others are coming in with you. IMO of course

Not the same as Giles having committed to Tenn. I doubt that Oku would feel too threatened by either Zimmerer or Robinson.

Well, I don't want to go by that because if he looked on Rivals he would see NU has to Rb commits, both Zimmer, is definitely a fullback but is listed as a running back. Also Robinson is more of a bruser back, which would compliment Oku, but at first glance he would say the NU has 2 running back commits. Maybe the other schools are like that, maybe they are not, but Running backs are not a position you usually can go off of how many others are coming in with you. IMO of course

trey is a possible db or olb, and zimmer is more then likely a lb or fullback.

Robinson got a 3* 5.7 from rivals(5.8 is a 4*), so he is getting significant love. But I doubt Oku would look elsewhere unless we had major bluechip signed-on. Like others have said Tray could end-up at safety or LB anyway.

and the thought of being a fb is gone with zimmer here now.

GoBlueWolverine.com guy still feels good about Michigan's chances:

Sam Webb: Recruiting

U-M a candidate to land 'home run' Oklahoma back

Not long after Rich Rodriguez took the helm of the Michigan football program, it became clear that the Wolverines' longtime recruiting map had taken a dramatic shift. The most obvious difference was the strong emphasis placed on blanketing the state of Florida. That overshadowed other more subtle changes, like an increased presence in Oklahoma.

Breaking through the barriers set up by Big 12 powerhouse Oklahoma and in-state rival Oklahoma State is a daunting task for any program. In most instances, attempts to lure elite talent away from the Sooner State are exercises in futility. One of the rare exceptions to that rule will be Midwest City, Okla., running back David Oku.

According to Scout.com, the 5-10, 185-pound Oku is a five-star prospect, the No. 5 running back nationally, and the No. 36 prospect overall. Thanks to his 4.47 speed and explosive cutting ability, he racked up 1,628 rushing yards, 20 touchdowns, and all-city honors for the third consecutive season.

"I have great awareness," Oku said when asked to describe his game. "I have speed, open-field acceleration, good hands, I'm real quick, and can shed tackles easily. I'm a home run threat."

Advertisement

Carl Albert High coach Gary Rose concurs with that assessment by his star pupil, but he also believes there is room for improvement.

Said Rose, "David is extremely strong, has great balance and great moves. He also has great vision -- sometimes too much vision for a running back. Sometimes he actually sees way too much and needs to just take off. But he is what I call a complete running back that can do everything."

'I want to get in, compete'

That's probably why a veritable who's who of college football descended upon Midwest City this spring to recruit the talented youngster. After a great deal of deliberation, though, only Florida State, Michigan, Illinois, Tennessee and Nebraska made the cut. Though Oku claims no leader among the five, he readily admits his childhood affinity for the Seminoles.

"Florida State has always been a school I have liked," Oku told Scout.com. "You can ask anyone here in Oklahoma who I like, and they'll say FSU. I'm trying to separate that, though. I'm not going to let that affect where I go."

He added: "I love the tradition at Florida State, but the thing about them is that they haven't had a 1,000-yard rusher in like 10 years."

The Seminoles weakness in that area is positive news for the other programs, but they each have their hurdles to overcome. For Michigan, one of the most significant is Oku's uncertainty over how quickly the Wolverines can transition from a traditional offense to the spread-option attack.

"What coach Rich Rodriguez did at West Virginia was amazing and I think he'll be able to do it at Michigan too," he said to Scout. "It's going to take some time, but I think they'll be great."

The next test for each of Oku's suitors will come during his official visits in the fall. At that point he will be able to better determine how they fit his strict criteria.

"You don't want to go where they have seven or eight running backs," Oku explained. "I don't want to go a place where most likely in my first year I'm going to redshirt. I want to get in, compete.

"I don't care where it is as long as it fits me. My mom already said she wants me to see other parts of the world. She's been in 48 states so she has seen other stuff. She said she can't make my decision for me, but she wants me to get out of Oklahoma and really look at everything closely."

Running hot or cold

For Oku's mother, Denise Moore, the benefit of his leaving the state is but one of the important factors she continually stresses.

Said Moore, "I always tell him that the academic part counts before the athletic part. You've got to find a school that you're going to feel comfortable in and is going to give you the kind of education you desire because you never know what's going on in football. You're playing today and you could be hurt tomorrow. You've got to finish out your education and get your degree. That's should be his main focus."

With Michigan and Illinois on the list, a few of the other contenders will undoubtedly try to make weather an issue. Such efforts, however, won't get very far.

"I think David will be fine whether it's warm or cold," Moore said. "He is used to playing in the cold. We get snow down here in Oklahoma. He used to go outside and play football in the snow."

The decision on whether Oku will opt go to college in a climate where snow-covered turf is a possibility is still months away.

"I'd like to announce my choice on my birthday, which is October 10th," he said. "If I don't do it then, I will most likely announce sometime in early November."

He is supposed to be visiting for the Va Tech game. Sounds like we have a solid place in the hunt.

But I wouldn't go so far as some on HI and say we should turn-down a 4* guy in Wegher in hopes of getting Oku in that last rb-spot. Maybe we get Oku, maybe we just end-up with egg on our face. I'd take Wegher and still be open to taking a tip-top guy in Oku. If Oku doesn't want the competition then screw-it. If he signs then I'd rather be over-quota with a major talent than at quota with some average talent at another spot. Maybe he and Wegher could turn into 1-2 punch, maybe Wegher could move to safety if Oku beats him out.

I'd turn-down Alford, Opurem, and probably Hilliard(very close call on him) at this point though.

He is supposed to be visiting for the Va Tech game. Sounds like we have a solid place in the hunt.

But I wouldn't go so far as some on HI and say we should turn-down a 4* guy in Wegher in hopes of getting Oku in that last rb-spot. Maybe we get Oku, maybe we just end-up with egg on our face. I'd take Wegher and still be open to taking a tip-top guy in Oku. If Oku doesn't want the competition then screw-it. If he signs then I'd rather be over-quota with a major talent than at quota with some average talent at another spot. Maybe he and Wegher could turn into 1-2 punch, maybe Wegher could move to safety if Oku beats him out.

I'd turn-down Alford, Opurem, and probably Hilliard(very close call on him) at this point though.

Pretty risky...

Pretty risky...

Callahan over on HI think they may hold-out for a tippity-tip-top guy. I can't see it. I'd jump on Wegher in a heartbeat. Both Alford and Opurem are rather limited, a scatback and a "big" back. We need a more all-purpose and we can likely get one so I'd pass. Hilliard is a good all-purpose back I could go either way on. He'd be a solid addition I'd be OK with but if the coaches were really confident I could see passing on him for a bigger fish for the last rb-slot.

Pretty risky...

Callahan over on HI think they may hold-out for a tippity-tip-top guy. I can't see it. I'd jump on Wegher in a heartbeat. Both Alford and Opurem are rather limited, a scatback and a "big" back. We need a more all-purpose and we can likely get one so I'd pass. Hilliard is a good all-purpose back I could go either way on. He'd be a solid addition I'd be OK with but if the coaches were really confident I could see passing on him for a bigger fish for the last rb-slot.

Guys.... NU is not Oklahoma, or Texas, or USC, or LSU, or Notre Dame, Georgia, or among or anywhere close to the top recruiting teams. NU is in no position to turn down any reasonable back. If Hilliard wanted to sign on then NU would sign him in a heartbeat. Same for Wegner. Same for any major recruit. NU is nowhere near attractive enough a program to be turning athletes down. NU will take what they can get.

Recruiting at Nebraska is not an issue of "pick what you want" --- it is much, much closer to the "take what you can get" end of the continuum. It amazes me that so many posters seem to think that recruits are busting down the doors to play at NU and Nu is being selective. Many asserted that the reason that Lechner went to Wisconsin was because NU was not interested --- it is far, far more likely that NU was very interested but Lechner saw Wisconsin as the better program. No, folks NU is our beloved and is great in our eyes --- to the rest of the nation (and the recruits in those states) NU is just another 5-7 team without a quality win in 5-6 years that is hopeful of making a bowl game next year.