RB David Oku

Many asserted that the reason that Lechner went to Wisconsin was because NU was not interested --- it is far, far more likely that NU was very interested but Lechner saw Wisconsin as the better program.

Lechner's other offers: Buffalo and Iowa State. NU wasn't the only team slow playing him.

Surprisingly, NU does turn down quite a few athletes and has in the past few years. Once you get so many at a position or if you are lower on the 'list' of who we are recruiting, you can/will get turned away. Actually, I won't say turned away, but a better term would be 'slow played'. Coaches will tell you to evaluate, make sure, take other visits .. pretty much anything they can to make you hold off on your decision. Some recruits get the hint that they are not really that wanted, others simply do not care or just do not notice what is going on.

Happens at every school. Has nothing to do with your record either.

He is supposed to be visiting for the Va Tech game. Sounds like we have a solid place in the hunt.

But I wouldn't go so far as some on HI and say we should turn-down a 4* guy in Wegher in hopes of getting Oku in that last rb-spot. Maybe we get Oku, maybe we just end-up with egg on our face. I'd take Wegher and still be open to taking a tip-top guy in Oku. If Oku doesn't want the competition then screw-it. If he signs then I'd rather be over-quota with a major talent than at quota with some average talent at another spot. Maybe he and Wegher could turn into 1-2 punch, maybe Wegher could move to safety if Oku beats him out.

I'd turn-down Alford, Opurem, and probably Hilliard(very close call on him) at this point though.

Pretty risky...

Callahan over on HI think they may hold-out for a tippity-tip-top guy. I can't see it. I'd jump on Wegher in a heartbeat. Both Alford and Opurem are rather limited, a scatback and a "big" back. We need a more all-purpose and we can likely get one so I'd pass. Hilliard is a good all-purpose back I could go either way on. He'd be a solid addition I'd be OK with but if the coaches were really confident I could see passing on him for a bigger fish for the last rb-slot.

Guys.... NU is not Oklahoma, or Texas, or USC, or LSU, or Notre Dame, Georgia, or among or anywhere close to the top recruiting teams. NU is in no position to turn down any reasonable back. If Hilliard wanted to sign on then NU would sign him in a heartbeat. Same for Wegner. Same for any major recruit. NU is nowhere near attractive enough a program to be turning athletes down. NU will take what they can get.

Recruiting at Nebraska is not an issue of "pick what you want" --- it is much, much closer to the "take what you can get" end of the continuum. It amazes me that so many posters seem to think that recruits are busting down the doors to play at NU and Nu is being selective. Many asserted that the reason that Lechner went to Wisconsin was because NU was not interested --- it is far, far more likely that NU was very interested but Lechner saw Wisconsin as the better program. No, folks NU is our beloved and is great in our eyes --- to the rest of the nation (and the recruits in those states) NU is just another 5-7 team without a quality win in 5-6 years that is hopeful of making a bowl game next year.

Surprisingly, NU does turn down quite a few athletes and has in the past few years. Once you get so many at a position or if you are lower on the 'list' of who we are recruiting, you can/will get turned away. Actually, I won't say turned away, but a better term would be 'slow played'. Coaches will tell you to evaluate, make sure, take other visits .. pretty much anything they can to make you hold off on your decision. Some recruits get the hint that they are not really that wanted, others simply do not care or just do not notice what is going on.

He is supposed to be visiting for the Va Tech game. Sounds like we have a solid place in the hunt.

But I wouldn't go so far as some on HI and say we should turn-down a 4* guy in Wegher in hopes of getting Oku in that last rb-spot. Maybe we get Oku, maybe we just end-up with egg on our face. I'd take Wegher and still be open to taking a tip-top guy in Oku. If Oku doesn't want the competition then screw-it. If he signs then I'd rather be over-quota with a major talent than at quota with some average talent at another spot. Maybe he and Wegher could turn into 1-2 punch, maybe Wegher could move to safety if Oku beats him out.

I'd turn-down Alford, Opurem, and probably Hilliard(very close call on him) at this point though.

Pretty risky...

Callahan over on HI think they may hold-out for a tippity-tip-top guy. I can't see it. I'd jump on Wegher in a heartbeat. Both Alford and Opurem are rather limited, a scatback and a "big" back. We need a more all-purpose and we can likely get one so I'd pass. Hilliard is a good all-purpose back I could go either way on. He'd be a solid addition I'd be OK with but if the coaches were really confident I could see passing on him for a bigger fish for the last rb-slot.

Guys.... NU is not Oklahoma, or Texas, or USC, or LSU, or Notre Dame, Georgia, or among or anywhere close to the top recruiting teams. NU is in no position to turn down any reasonable back. If Hilliard wanted to sign on then NU would sign him in a heartbeat. Same for Wegner. Same for any major recruit. NU is nowhere near attractive enough a program to be turning athletes down. NU will take what they can get.

Recruiting at Nebraska is not an issue of "pick what you want" --- it is much, much closer to the "take what you can get" end of the continuum. It amazes me that so many posters seem to think that recruits are busting down the doors to play at NU and Nu is being selective. Many asserted that the reason that Lechner went to Wisconsin was because NU was not interested --- it is far, far more likely that NU was very interested but Lechner saw Wisconsin as the better program. No, folks NU is our beloved and is great in our eyes --- to the rest of the nation (and the recruits in those states) NU is just another 5-7 team without a quality win in 5-6 years that is hopeful of making a bowl game next year.

Yes, NU has turned people away. And those are the people who end up at tier 3 type schools --- very low end D1 programs or they go D2 or walk on at NU or elsewhere. Programs that are tier 1 --- top 25 type programs (of which NU is no longer numbered) slow play and turn down players that then end up at tier 2 programs like NU. In that sense, a recent or current NU recruiting class will largely (though not entirely) consist of players that the tier 1 programs either would not consider, or considered and slow played or turned down, or players that waited for that tier 1 slot too long and ended up out because the tier 1 team filled up at their position. In this sense, NU takes what they can get. Now, granted, NU does get a small subset of players that the tier 1 programs would like --- but that subset is small. With regard to Nebraska players, typically the best in the state were automatically NU's --- that too is no longer the case. Again, more likely not because NU slow played the locals, but because the kids thought that better options existed elsewhere.

Pretty risky...

Yes, NU has turned people away. And those are the people who end up at tier 3 type schools --- very low end D1 programs or they go D2 or walk on at NU or elsewhere. Programs that are tier 1 --- top 25 type programs (of which NU is no longer numbered) slow play and turn down players that then end up at tier 2 programs like NU. In that sense, a recent or current NU recruiting class will largely (though not entirely) consist of players that the tier 1 programs either would not consider, or considered and slow played or turned down, or players that waited for that tier 1 slot too long and ended up out because the tier 1 team filled up at their position. In this sense, NU takes what they can get. Now, granted, NU does get a small subset of players that the tier 1 programs would like --- but that subset is small. With regard to Nebraska players, typically the best in the state were automatically NU's --- that too is no longer the case. Again, more likely not because NU slow played the locals, but because the kids thought that better options existed elsewhere.

And you base your thoughts off of .. ? Examples would be nice.

I mean, I could go thru guys like Omar Bolden, Earl Patin, Hubert Anyiam, Brodrick Smith, Sean Renfree, Tavarres Pressley, Riley Reiff (after the spring game), etc.,

You get full at a position, grades, you're after a more highly rated guy (on our board) and guys will get turned away all the time. It happens.

Your thoughts about our recruiting are wayyyyyyy off of base. Is our recruiting where it should be? In a week I'll tell you. :) But to say we only turn away some low athletes is COMPLETELY off base. COMPLETELY.

I'll be the first to say our coaches have made some HUGE mistakes in recruiting in turning some guys away. Namely Omar Bolden, who only wanted a chance to play in the backfield. We got done kissing Castille's rear end and their was no way we could take another RB without Castille bolting. HUGE mistake turning that kid away.

Or you can talk about Mark Sanchez. Even after Harrison Beck committed, Sanchez called our coaches and told them that he still wanted to be recruited by us. Instead of recruiting him more, we turned him away because we had our top rated QB and we were only taking one QB at that point, until Joe Dailey completely bombed that year.

This thought of guys we turn down are only lower caliber athletes is completely off base. BC and company could recruit the heck out of kids. That is one thing we would NEVER have a problem with here. BC, Busch, Watson, Wyatt .. they could sell crack to the Pope if they put their mind to it.

grades might be an issue with this kid......i think that i would still take a chance with him though.

i have seen some film of him and he has some really sick moves, and makes people miss.

i would like to see how he runs after contact, because he wont be able to make people miss all of the time in the Big 12

yeah, BC recruited some real character kids.... :ahhhhhhhh

Bring on the Lawrence Phillips' or Christian Peter's. When we had them, we actually won a few more games. :lol:

That comment doesn't surprise me.

nor does your comment surprise me.

go figure.

grades might be an issue with this kid......i think that i would still take a chance with him though.

i have seen some film of him and he has some really sick moves, and makes people miss.

i would like to see how he runs after contact, because he wont be able to make people miss all of the time in the Big 12

I don't think so, and I feel good about landing him, FSU, and UT have all received high profile committments, Oku has said he checks Rivals pretty frequently, it will be between us IU, and FSU IMO, Michigan is another one of his favorites, I just don't think they will be a player

I don't think so, and I feel good about landing him, FSU, and UT have all received high profile committments, Oku has said he checks Rivals pretty frequently, it will be between us IU, and FSU IMO, Michigan is another one of his favorites, I just don't think they will be a player

i think that we have a good chance landing him also, and would like NU to take a chance on him.

i think that his grades are going to be a concern, and he has stated before that he slacked off his freshman and sophmore years, and he has a lot of work to catch up on.

i think that he has his head on straight and it is going to go down to the wire to get qualified. i doubt that he will be able to get qualified and able to start attending classes at the first summer session. it may take him until august to get there and then he will be behind alittle but if he has the drive, i think that he can make it