RB Jarvis Giles

we need him

Do we? With Roy and Q being Soph's, and Mendoza being a RFr, we have a lot of young talent at running back. He wouldn't become the main back until his junior year, granted that Roy and Q stay for their senior seasons. I want Giles to become a Husker just as much as everyone else, as he is an electrifying playmaker that could really help our offense, but I wouldn't be discouraged one bit if we didn't land a "big-time" running back commit in this class. I think that next year is the year where we land at least 1 "big time" RB.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes we need Jarvis Giles IMO. Landing him would be huge

we need him

Do we? With Roy and Q being Soph's, and Mendoza being a RFr, we have a lot of young talent at running back. He wouldn't become the main back until his junior year, granted that Roy and Q stay for their senior seasons. I want Giles to become a Husker just as much as everyone else, as he is an electrifying playmaker that could really help our offense, but I wouldn't be discouraged one bit if we didn't land a "big-time" running back commit in this class. I think that next year is the year where we land at least 1 "big time" RB.

Just my 2 cents.

OMG are you kidding? Roy is a very good RB. Castille has been a disappointment to say the least. Mendoza has done very little to be evaluated on. When we have the chance to recruit a player who has the kind of potential that Giles has we have to put forth our best effort. The reason we recruit players like him is to try to hit one that turns into a killer. If Giles turned into a player like that (1st or 2nd round talent in the draft kind of player) do you honestly thing it would be his junior year before he was the "main back"? If/when we get a player with that kind of talent you can bet your last dollar he will be a contributor immediately.

I am not at all comfortable with what we will have at RB next year and any chance we have at players like Giles, McBurse, and Burkhead need to be given a 100% effort, IMO.

we need him

Just my 2 cents.

OMG are you kidding? Roy is a very good RB. Castille has been a disappointment to say the least. Mendoza has done very little to be evaluated on. When we have the chance to recruit a player who has the kind of potential that Giles has we have to put forth our best effort. The reason we recruit players like him is to try to hit one that turns into a killer. If Giles turned into a player like that (1st or 2nd round talent in the draft kind of player) do you honestly thing it would be his junior year before he was the "main back"? If/when we get a player with that kind of talent you can bet your last dollar he will be a contributor immediately.

I am not at all comfortable with what we will have at RB next year and any chance we have at players like Giles, McBurse, and Burkhead need to be given a 100% effort, IMO.

I thought we were looking pretty good at the RB position next year

we need him

Just my 2 cents.

Not at all. Helu is the only returning rb on this roster who has really shown anything. Even though he has been the most explosive runner by far this year he still isn't getting the kind of carries his play has been deserving of. That makes me worried about whether or not there is something the coaches see that we don't? Castille has been a big disappointment so far. For such a big guy he doesn't run with much authority and is even a liability in the short yardage running game. Oh, and serious fumble problems to boot. Mendoza might be a player next year, but he is largely unproven. He showed well against K-State, but who didn't? K-State has been everyone's whoopin boy this year. Mendoza is also a pretty small guy. As far as Okafor goes, who knows. I've heard bad things about him and good things. He hasn't seen the field so there's no way to make a judgement.

This is major college football. If we go into next year with Helu as our top back and Castille as the main backup we could be an injury away from a pretty sorry looking backfield. Maybe you guys see something I don't. Seriously, sell me on next year's backfield and I will change my tune, but I think we are in desperate need of more talent.

Helu is the only returning rb on this roster who has really shown anything. Even though he has been the most explosive runner by far this year he still isn't getting the kind of carries his play has been deserving of. That makes me worried about whether or not there is something the coaches see that we don't?

I recall reading that Helu was a little banged up earlier in the season. The question of pass blocking abilities in comparison to Lucky has also been brought up by others.

The coaches apparently share some concern that Nebraska needs another RB in this class (as the late offer to McBurse and targeting of a decomitted Giles seems to indicate), but if they wanted someone who would definitely play next year, wouldn't they be more interested in a JUCO right now?

we need him

Just my 2 cents.

Not at all. Helu is the only returning rb on this roster who has really shown anything. Even though he has been the most explosive runner by far this year he still isn't getting the kind of carries his play has been deserving of. That makes me worried about whether or not there is something the coaches see that we don't? Castille has been a big disappointment so far. For such a big guy he doesn't run with much authority and is even a liability in the short yardage running game. Oh, and serious fumble problems to boot. Mendoza might be a player next year, but he is largely unproven. He showed well against K-State, but who didn't? K-State has been everyone's whoopin boy this year. Mendoza is also a pretty small guy. As far as Okafor goes, who knows. I've heard bad things about him and good things. He hasn't seen the field so there's no way to make a judgement.

This is major college football. If we go into next year with Helu as our top back and Castille as the main backup we could be an injury away from a pretty sorry looking backfield. Maybe you guys see something I don't. Seriously, sell me on next year's backfield and I will change my tune, but I think we are in desperate need of more talent.

The same could be said for any other major college football team about them being "one injury away" from a sorry backfield...unless youre USC.. <_< Anyway, I feel next years backfield will be very productive, we have a stable of horses ready to go, with our feature back being Helu. Helu has shown flashes of brilliance over the past 3 games, accounting for 5 scores, and will only continue to get better. While castille causes most of us to hold our breath when he is running, he still has all the capabilities of being a good back. He has great speed for his frame, and he can straight up lay the hurt. If we can cut out the fumbling problems he will be just fine. As far as Mendoza...he played well against Gay-State, but then again, it is Gay-State..it will be tough to tell until the spring on how he looks.

I wouldn't be worried at all about our backfield, they will be just fine for years to come...especially if we land Jarvis!

GBR!

we need him

Just my 2 cents.

The same could be said for any other major college football team about them being "one injury away" from a sorry backfield...unless youre USC.. <_< Anyway, I feel next years backfield will be very productive, we have a stable of horses ready to go, with our feature back being Helu. Helu has shown flashes of brilliance over the past 3 games, accounting for 5 scores, and will only continue to get better. While castille causes most of us to hold our breath when he is running, he still has all the capabilities of being a good back. He has great speed for his frame, and he can straight up lay the hurt. If we can cut out the fumbling problems he will be just fine. As far as Mendoza...he played well against Gay-State, but then again, it is Gay-State..it will be tough to tell until the spring on how he looks.

I wouldn't be worried at all about our backfield, they will be just fine for years to come...especially if we land Jarvis!

GBR!

Any stud back programs, sure. Look at USC and Wisconsin. They could have 2 injuries a piece and still have a productive back in the backfield. The spread is making it much more common for backs to be a pivotal force on the field. Traditional offenses did not rely on them in the typical fashion. Then there's always the Barry Sanders of the world who just own face.

GBR!

I disagree with this statement. For a big back he has repeatedly shown an inability to produce in short yardage situations. In fact, I think he runs soft for an average sized back. Outside of Helu, the others on our roster are largely unproven. That's what leads me to be uncomfortable.

As far as Okafor goes, who knows. I've heard bad things about him and good things.

What bad things have you heard about Okafor? I havn't heard any news about him for a long time(spring maybe?)

Nothing formal, all rumor stuff. Rumors like he's been a disappointment so far. I saw the kid play a lot in high school and I thought he was the real deal so who knows.

As far as Okafor goes, who knows. I've heard bad things about him and good things.

What bad things have you heard about Okafor? I havn't heard any news about him for a long time(spring maybe?)

Nothing formal, all rumor stuff. Rumors like he's been a disappointment so far. I saw the kid play a lot in high school and I thought he was the real deal so who knows.

I hope you're right

father is pretty much right. Not so glowing reports on Okafor so far this year. Even some rumors of a move to LB, but I don't know how valid those rumors are.

After Mendoza it is completely up in the air about who would be next in line at RB. Some PT to definitely to be had by any RB who comes in here.

Is it Lester Ward and then walkons? What position is Kyler Reed? Or are you saying nobody after Mendoza has shown anything thus far so any recruit worth his star rating would be in the mix next year?