Which former players would make good coaches?

Out of all the former Huskers, who do u think would make good assistant coaches to bring in on the staff whenever a current assistant leaves? Grant Wistrom I believe would be a great D-line coach. Mike Brown as a secondary coach. Throw Jason Peter in there as a possible D-line coach. Aaron Taylor maybe as an O-line coach. Ahman Green maybe for the I-backs. JMO, what do you think?

Out of all the former Huskers, who do u think would make good assistant coaches to bring in on the staff whenever a current assistant leaves? Grant Wistrom I believe would be a great D-line coach. Mike Brown as a secondary coach. Throw Jason Peter in there as a possible D-line coach. Aaron Taylor maybe as an O-line coach. Ahman Green maybe for the I-backs. JMO, what do you think?

Honestly, it's been my experience that the best coaches were never the best players. It's usually the second or third teamer's. The reason is they usually weren't the best athletes and had to work there tail off perfecting every technique, watching extra film and asked the most questions.

Honestly, it's been my experience that the best coaches were never the best players. It's usually the second or third teamer's. The reason is they usually weren't the best athletes and had to work there tail off perfecting every technique, watching extra film and asked the most questions.

Billy Martin, a former Yankee player and manager (like five times), said the exact same thing in his biography. I can't find the book to give the exact quote but he was talking about some MLB managers who were former All-Stars but were struggling as managers.

Having said that, I think Mike Brown would probably be an excellent coach. The man is very smart and a hard-nosed player. Even though I hate the Bears, I hope he makes a comeback for them.

How about Frank Solich?

(Can o Werms)

But maybe raiding Turner Gills staff:

They had as many sign with the NFL as we did..

"Ben Woods Signs with Cleveland Browns

Buffalo punter becomes third UB player to sign with an NFL team " http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/footbal...008-woods.shtml

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/football/coaches/

Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Jimmy Williams

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/footbal.../williams.shtml

Joesph Dailey (Grad assistant)

"Turner Gill Named MAC Coach of the Year"

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/footbal...2007-gill.shtml

Toby Williams ..Not sure where he is now..

Gill Adds Toby Williams To Coaching Staff

Former NFL standout will coach defensive line

BUFFALO, NY - University at Buffalo head coach Turner Gill has added a familiar name to the Bulls' coaching staff with the hiring of Toby Williams.

Williams is the brother of Buffalo defensive coordinator Jimmy Williams, and both played with Gill at Nebraska. Like his brother, Toby starred for the Cornhuskers and went to have a highly successful career in the National Football League, playing with the New England Patriots from 1983-88 and finishing his career with one season in Green Bay with the Packers.

“Toby is an outstanding teacher of defensive line play gained from being an outstanding collegiate and professional player,” said Gill. “I am very happy to have him on the staff.”

Williams was an overachiever throughout his football career, walking on at Nebraska before earning All Big Eight honors and spending six seasons with the Patriots after being chosen in the 10th round. He would play 80 games with the Patriots, registering 15 career sacks as a defensive tackle and nose guard.

He began his coaching career as an assistant coach at Millis High School in Massachusetts in 1995, serving as an assistant coach before moving into the head coaching position. He would later move on to collegiate coaching at Bridgewater State (2000-01) and Dean College (2001-02), coaching defensive line at both schools.

He returned to the high school ranks in 2002, spending two years at Bishop Feehan outside Boston, his team winning Division titles both seasons while coaching the offensive and defensive lines. He has spent the past two seasons at Saint Raphael Academy as offensive and defensive line coach.

With Toby Williams joining the staff, Gill has reshuffled some duties. Brian Mohnsen will now coach the Bulls' linebackers, while Matt House will handle the defensive backfield. Aaron Stamn, who will continue to coach the Bulls' tight ends, will also serve as special teams coordinator.

Scott Frost. He's already a coach, but he came from coaching parents. He's very intelligent. He's played both offense and defense at the collegiate level as well as defense in the NFL. He was coached under Bill Walsh and TO. Another one I think could/would make a great coach would be Kenny Walker. He overcame a lot of adversity throughout his career being deaf. I think he could easily show how hard work and dedication get people to their goals.

Agreed

Tommy Frazier and Doane as a prime example

for me coaching is more than motivating and insisting on a good work ethic. you have to be able to evaluate your players, put the best guys on the field, in the right positions and call the right alignments/plays, defensively and offensively, with a high percentage of success.

you just have to be a student of the game and learn from other coaches and your own mistakes....tall order, eh?

But the question wasnt which former greats would make the bets coaches, but just which former Huskers would. And nearly all coaches played at some level before going into coaching, Leach and Weis are the two HCs I can think of who never played, but nearly everyone has.