David Cook is crowned the "Idol" winner

Anybody watch this last night. I've been watching it this whole season with my girlfriend and we've been a big fan of David Cook because he additioned in Omaha, NE and he's a rocker :woo

I'm glad that the other David the retard didn't win for he would be perfect singing to my grandmother putting her to sleep. Go ahead and poke and make fun of me but if anybody watched Idol, David Cook would turn any song into a rock song........I think that Cook will be big like Daughtry if not bigger.

Newsday.com.........As expected, a David did win the seventh season of "American Idol." Just not the David some of us (ahem) predicted.

David Cook, Texas-born, Missouri-raised, and a former bartender who will never have to tend another bar in his life, won "Idol" Wednesday night, and it wasn't even close. Per Ryan Seacrest, 97.5 million votes were cast, and of those about 55 million votes went to Cook.

He didn't look that surprised when the nod went to him just before 10. "I started this season as the word nerd, and I'm at a loss for words," he said, wiping away tears, and maybe a season of doubting Thomases who believed he would never make it this far. "This is amazing. Thank you." And he turned away from the audience, before welcoming his brother, Andrew, on the stage.

"This is his fault." Yes, some fault. His brother encouraged him to audition last year for "Idol," and now the rest is history. Adam -- "AC" -- is his other brother, suffering from cancer and an unseen presence on this season's show. His initials have appeared on his brother's guitar and his illness has been part of the Cook legend.

And the other David? The 17-year-old Utah native was the front-runner much of the season. He stumbled during the Beatles rounds, but "Idol" -- cleverly -- never indicated that his votes were starting to tail behind Cook's, as they did (per bloggers) about five weeks ago. On Tuesday's finale, he easily won the duel of the front-runners: He sang better, and with more passion, than Cook, but perhaps Simon Cowell's words should have served as a sign of things to come. For years, Cowell's reputed get-out-the-vote strategy for his favorite has been to chastise the contestant he wants to win. Why? So that fans will be motivated to vote against Simon.

Begs, of course, another question: Why would "Idol" and Cowell want David Cook as opposed to the equally gifted David Archuleta to win? Perhaps because "Idol" and its record producing sibling, 19 Entertainment, simply believe David Cook will sell more records in the long run. (Also, Archuleta's father, Jeffrey, was considered difficult and a meddling backstage dad -- not fun as a potential partner.)

Meanwhile, how about that finale? Exhausting, endless (nearly) and undeniably entertaining. The show was sort of like an extended time-warped Grammys, spread over half a century, with stars who appeal to a demographic spread between the ages of 8 and 80. For a show that's been buried by critics, pundits, and opposing networks anxious to throw some dirt on the "Idol" coffin, last night's capper sure acted like a lively, culturally aware corpse.

It started with a Nickelback duet between the two Davids and ended with George Michael.

What did this all mean? That "Idol" had something to prove. This megahit can still draw the big names, create an "Event," and make the pundits swallow their words.

Yes my wife and I were so happy that he won. I saw that a poll on USA Today yesterday had the ratio at 56% to 44% and that happened to be the same percentages of the actual votes. Winning by 12 million votes. I voted for the first time ever and logged a piddly 150 votes using both our cell phones.

I am now a huge David Cook fan. His songs "Billy Jean", "Eleanor Rigby" and "Baba O'Reilly" all gave me goose bumps they were so good. I didn't see when he sang "Hello" but my wife said that was her favorite of the season.

I liked that he went through the Omaha auditions and is from the KC area. It was pretty cool when he got to throw out the first pitch at a KC Royals game a couple weeks ago.

I was never really interested in the show from the beginning. I guess maybe because I think the singers should have to pay their dues out on the road like other bands have to.

I completely agree.

As a musician, it's a lot of work to get your name out there, these guys are cheaters and aren't true musicians in my book, but hey, they're making millions...I'm not...so I guess I can't really talk.

I was never really interested in the show from the beginning. I guess maybe because I think the singers should have to pay their dues out on the road like other bands have to.

I completely agree.

As a musician, it's a lot of work to get your name out there, these guys are cheaters and aren't true musicians in my book, but hey, they're making millions...I'm not...so I guess I can't really talk.

Calling 99% of the sheep that show up on that show 'musicians', is about the same as calling the 300 pound bowler with the beer gut an athlete.

I also have issues with any 'musician' who doenst actually write at least a portion of their 'work'.

Being an American Idol fan has got to be getting close to having your man card revoked....

Drivel, Drivel I say!!

That's exactly what the Rock radio DJ's were saying this morning..I didn't even know they were doing another one..not that I watched the 1st one (Are there more than two?)

Even the local newspaper web site (www.azcentral.com) had a poll today about this.

the question:

Do you think David Cook deserved to win 'American Idol'?

Who cares?...(53.84%)

Yes.......(39.34%)

No.......(6.82%)

Total Votes: 2346

I don't know..Seems shows like this represent everything that is wrong with the music industry.

Bring back Milli Vanilli :moreinteresting

I completely agree.

Calling 99% of the sheep that show up on that show 'musicians', is about the same as calling the 300 pound bowler with the beer gut an athlete.

I also have issues with any 'musician' who doenst actually write at least a portion of their 'work'.

I agree with you guys.

But David Cook was doing all those things before he was on American Idol...

According to my girlfriend, who watches American Idol religiously and knows everything about every contestant on that show. She HAD to tell me all this when I was watching the finale last night with her...

Apparently he was in a band for 8 years before moving away from Blue Springs to Tulsa Oklahoma, where he worked as a bartender and joined a new band in 2006. He then released a solo album later in 2006 which won some awards in the Tulsa area or something, and completed his second solo album before going on American Idol. Where he didn't want to try out and was just there to support his little brother, but the producers talked him into it...

I'm sure I missed something as I was trying my best not to pay attention...

But, whatever. I'm not going to argue over it because its dumb. But somebody's got to stick up for the "sell-out", right? ;)

I completely agree.

I agree with you guys.

But David Cook was doing all those things before he was on American Idol...

According to my girlfriend, who watches American Idol religiously and knows everything about every contestant on that show. She HAD to tell me all this when I was watching the finale last night with her...

Apparently he was in a band for 8 years before moving away from Blue Springs to Tulsa Oklahoma, where he worked as a bartender and joined a new band in 2006. He then released a solo album later in 2006 which won some awards in the Tulsa area or something, and completed his second solo album before going on American Idol. Where he didn't want to try out and was just there to support his little brother, but the producers talked him into it...

I'm sure I missed something as I was trying my best not to pay attention...

But, whatever. I'm not going to argue over it because its dumb. But somebody's got to stick up for the "sell-out", right? ;)

Then the right person won this time around. I guess I interpret 'selling out' different than others. Changing ones look, sound, and political leanings to fit into the mainstream "sheep herd MTV crowd." (Mindless idiots who need so-called "cool" people to tell them how to think and act.)

I haven't liked American Idol since I spoke to a friend of mine. I had her come sing on something for me awhile back and a coworker told me she should audition for American Idol. She has 3 other sisters and they are all amazing gospel singers. She and any of them could knock many of those final Idol contestants out of the water.

Anyway...she told me that her sister auditioned a few years back. The judges who listen before they get to the final few who can be on TV said, "You're a great singer...but we aren't looking for an R&B/Gospel singer this year."

That's when I realized that the show has never been about picking the best of the best or letting America decide who they want to be their "Idol"....it's been about "what can we sell this year?"

Being an American Idol fan has got to be getting close to having your man card revoked....

Drivel, Drivel I say!!

If thats the way you want to look at it......ummmm ok. I've only seen the first American Idol but I had to watch this one because they additioned in Omaha and plus there was a girl from Sioux City who made it to Hollywood.

So ya I watched American Idol this year and I could give a rats ass if anyone thinks that my man card should be revoked........thats just retarded.

Maybe if you had a wife or a girlfriend, you just might know where i'm coming from.

I haven't liked American Idol since I spoke to a friend of mine. I had her come sing on something for me awhile back and a coworker told me she should audition for American Idol. She has 3 other sisters and they are all amazing gospel singers. She and any of them could knock many of those final Idol contestants out of the water.

Anyway...she told me that her sister auditioned a few years back. The judges who listen before they get to the final few who can be on TV said, "You're a great singer...but we aren't looking for an R&B/Gospel singer this year."

That's when I realized that the show has never been about picking the best of the best or letting America decide who they want to be their "Idol"....it's been about "what can we sell this year?"

I would agree with you 110%. I watched this season from beginning to end for the first time ever besides the first season, but I noticed that it's not only "what can we sell this year", people will only vote for the better looking guys instead of the talented musicians. People can just be knuckleheads

Drivel, Drivel I say!!

If thats the way you want to look at it......ummmm ok. I've only seen the first American Idol but I had to watch this one because they additioned in Omaha and plus there was a girl from Sioux City who made it to Hollywood.

So ya I watched American Idol this year and I could give a rats ass if anyone thinks that my man card should be revoked........thats just retarded.

Maybe if you had a wife or a girlfriend, you just might know where i'm coming from.

I was relieved my Wife stopped watching it after the 1st year..Now if we can just get het to stop watching Survivor. <_<

I sometimes wonder why some people watch "Idol"..Is it the same reason I watch Women's Gymnastics?

Then after watching the 12-14 yr old Gymnasts, I feel compelled to turn myself in to the local authorities for mentally undressing them. <_<

I actually tried out for American Idol 2 or 3 years ago up in Minneapolis. I am a country singer by heart and decided to give it a shot just so I would never ask myself "what if?" later on in life. I was shocked when I realized you had to go through two seperate stages before you actually got to Paula, Randy, and Simon. I also learned that in the first round there are something like 12 or 13 tables with 2 seperate co-producers sitting at them. Each individual table is told who they will let through, what type of genre, or if they are just plain embarrassing and will be good for the show. I could tell before I even got down there to audition that table #7 wasn't letting anyone through no matter how good they were, and there were some damn good people singing at this table.

What do ya know I step down on the floor and they point to me and tell me to go to table #7! I knew then that no matter how well I did I wasn't going to go through to the next round. It's all about ratings to them and getting goofy damn people through to boost these ratings. It's not truly about who's got the best talent and that ruined the show for me. The lady at table #7 told me I had a great voice, but it wasn't strong enough. I'm not one to talk about myself, but I was an all-state singer in high school and was in three different choirs that went around the Des Moines Metro Area and throughout the State of Iowa on different competitions. I've won several individual talent shows and I had to laugh when she said this because I have a big voice. The show is a joke................. <_<