SIGNED: OT Brent Qvale

I'm not a big fan of all these sleeper prospects we get, but this guy just might be one.

Coaches are supposed to be pretty damn stoked about him. IMO his sleeper-status is due to playing in North Dakota, if he was Texan he'd likely be rolling in offers .

A damn smart big-guy that has the feet to be a helluva b-baller sounds like a nice prospect.

Danimal i agree. There are great football players all over the country, our coaches are doing a great job of hunting and seaching for these kids. Don't get me wrong, we need to recruit TX, CA, FL, ect also but why stop there. The kids that get the most attention are the ones that can afford to travel to all the camps to get noticed by the recruiting services or actually play in an area that gets evaluated as hard as Texas highschool football. Just because some can't afford to attend camps doesn't mean they aren't any good.

Welcome Brent!

Camps are nice and all, but what I like even better is when you stumble over to some dusty town in Wyoming and find a ranching kid who's been dragging hay bales all over the countryside for 18 years and has the work ethic of an 1800s Irish immigrant. You build your line out of kids who are willing to work in the trenches and not just play in the trenches and you'll find the kind of success that makes a smashmouth O-line what it is.

I'm not a big fan of all these sleeper prospects we get, but this guy just might be one.

Coaches are supposed to be pretty damn stoked about him. IMO his sleeper-status is due to playing in North Dakota, if he was Texan he'd likely be rolling in offers .

A damn smart big-guy that has the feet to be a helluva b-baller sounds like a nice prospect.

Danimal i agree. There are great football players all over the country, our coaches are doing a great job of hunting and seaching for these kids. Don't get me wrong, we need to recruit TX, CA, FL, ect also but why stop there. The kids that get the most attention are the ones that can afford to travel to all the camps to get noticed by the recruiting services or actually play in an area that gets evaluated as hard as Texas highschool football. Just because some can't afford to attend camps doesn't mean they aren't any good.

Welcome Brent!

Camps are nice and all, but what I like even better is when you stumble over to some dusty town in Wyoming and find a ranching kid who's been dragging hay bales all over the countryside for 18 years and has the work ethic of an 1800s Irish immigrant. You build your line out of kids who are willing to work in the trenches and not just play in the trenches and you'll find the kind of success that makes a smashmouth O-line what it is.

I agree. I love the kids who know that they have gotten where they are today and to get to where they want to go takes good ol' hard work.

Great post.

Great post.

:yeah

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice article about Brent...

WILLISTON - It took University of Nebraska offensive line coach Barney Cotton less than one game of watching Coyotes senior Brent Qvale to know Qvale could succeed for the Cornhuskers football team.

But it wasn't a football game - it was a basketball game.

"Every time a football coach came to watch him play, it takes them one minute to say he's going to be a great lineman (at the Division I level)," Williston head coach Mark Slotsve said. "It's all hands and feet. (Cotton) showed up, watched him and said you can play all five positions on the line."

Qvale has shown those skills on the court for the Coyotes this season, helping Williston to a 4-1 start and a No. 2 ranking in the state.

Qvale's numbers have been astounding. He leads all Class A players in scoring wtih 25 ppg, rebounding with 14.4 a game. He has shot 63.9 percent from the field and is second in the state in blocked shots.

While Qvale takes his basketball seriously, he always knew football would be his choice for the next level.

"I was pretty much always set on football," he said. "I knew that was going to be my future."

But until he arrives on the Nebraska campus, he will be competing for the Williston basketball team and trying to repeat as state shot put champion in the spring.

"He's very athletic for 6-foot-7 and 320," Slotsve said. "If you look at him coming off the street, you'd say 'Can this guy really play basketball?' But he's quick and can get up the court and can handle himself on the floor."

Qvale learned plenty of lessons from his brother Brian, now a starting center for the University of Montana team.

"I played Brian my whole life," Qvale said. "I had to learn how to do different moves and shoot over people. He developed all my post moves and taught me a lot of basketball."

Qvale and his Williston teammates will have to be at the top of their game Friday, when they welcome No. 1 Mandan to town. Qvale and the rest of the Mandan posts will go up against 6-foot-7 Braves center Bryan Kielpinski.

"This will be the biggest game of the year so far, the No. 1 and 2 teams meeting up," Qvale said. "It's at home, so that gives us a little bit of an advantage, so hopefully it's a good game... This is probably going to be the biggest test for me to guard him and a big test for me, too. They have some shooters we need to cover and we have some shooters they need to cover so it's going to be a pretty evenly-matched game."

The Coyotes haven't played in nearly two weeks, so Slotsve is concerned with how the team will respond to the layoff.

"We were just saying, we had last week canceled on us (due to inclement weather). It's like the beginning of the season again," Slotsve said. "It's not that I'm not concerned about Mandan, but I want to see how we come out (after the layoff). Mandan's the team to beat in the state and the measuring stick for everybody, not just us."

MinotDailyNews.com

• 4 months later...

• 1 month later...

ND High School Athlete of the Year!!

Former Williston High School athletes Rachel Hennessy and Brent Qvale have been named as the North Dakota High School female and male athletes of the year, as selected by the North Dakota Associated Press Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association.

--cut-- sorry female athlete, no pub for you here --cut--

Qvale was also a three-sport athlete at Williston. He was an all-state selection as an offensive lineman in football. Qvale also averaged 20.1 points per game and 12.1 rebounds on his way to winning the title of Mr. Basketball.

He was also a three-time state champion in the shot put for the Williston track and field team. Qvale is the first high school athlete in the state to win three shot put titles since 1904.

"It feels good because of all the hard work I put into it," Qvale said of winning the athlete of the year award.

The secret to his success is the time and effort that he puts into everything.

"Hard work," he said. "Making sure you do things right and prepare yourself right."

Others close to Qvale were just as pleased to see him recognized.

"I'm very happy to see him win such an honor," said Williston High School football coach Todd Matthews. "It goes to show you the kind of effort, he put into it."

Qvale is currently in Nebraska preparing for the upcoming football season as a member of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

"We're going to have a good team," he said. "We are in the second week of training and things are going well so far."

Wow we're raking in alot of these athlete/player of the year types... the other being Martinez. Albeit, player of the year in Cali might be a little more impressive to some than athlete of the year in ND, but Qvale looks to be one heck of a stud.

Well if Qvale is actually that good at bball(competition might be lacking in ND), he will be a stud because it means he has great feet. Footwork is the most important aspect to being a great OL.