So...should we have fired Solich?

dedhoarse

......but the answer is yes.

You guys could dominate again, not sure I buy off on that. You did have a nice little run in the mid-90s with the whole 3 titles in 4 years, but USC, Ohio State, FLorida, Texas has been able to put together big time contenders for 4 years in a row. Granted it is harder to actually be the champs 3 out of 4, The rest of the 90s you were 9-3 a lot. I think a team could be put together in college football to make a run at what you did in the 90s, not that it would be easy, but Big Red could dominate again.

we win the 93 title if not for a phantom clipping call, and got beat deep on a forth and inches roll out against texas int the big 12 title game to prevent a rematch with florida in 96(and we all know how that game would have went if played) we were very close to 5 in 5 years

You guys could dominate again, not sure I buy off on that. You did have a nice little run in the mid-90s with the whole 3 titles in 4 years, but USC, Ohio State, FLorida, Texas has been able to put together big time contenders for 4 years in a row. Granted it is harder to actually be the champs 3 out of 4, The rest of the 90s you were 9-3 a lot. I think a team could be put together in college football to make a run at what you did in the 90s, not that it would be easy, but Big Red could dominate again.

Ohio State good? Yeah, in their weak division maybe. Oh, they are also good at making it to the Championship game and losing. How Ohio State is being ranked in the Top 10 to start this season after consistently choking is beyond me.

I can't wait for them to play USC. Final score: USC = 263; Ohio State = 14. I'm hoping this game keeps them out of the Championship Game, but who knows? Everyone seems to have a stiffy for Ohio State...

Ohio State good? Yeah, in their weak division maybe. Oh, they are also good at making it to the Championship game and losing. How Ohio State is being ranked in the Top 10 to start this season after consistently choking is beyond me.

I can't wait for them to play USC. Final score: USC = 263; Ohio State = 14. I'm hoping this game keeps them out of the Championship Game, but who knows? Everyone seems to have a stiffy for Ohio State...

Beating the best team ever :sarcasm in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl will do that for you. The media have a boner for these schools because of the huge alumni base and the proximity to the east coast.

Funny thing is, guess how many National Titles Ohio State has won in the past 30 years? Same number as Michigan has won in the past 50 years: 2.

That being said, if they beat USC this year which is certainly possible considering Stanford beat USC, get ready for another year of misery.

Beating the best team ever :sarcasm in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl will do that for you. The media have a boner for these schools because of the huge alumni base and the proximity to the east coast.

Funny thing is, guess how many National Titles Ohio State has won in the past 30 years? Same number as Michigan has won in the past 50 years: 2.

Okay, not sure what your point is....

That being said, if they beat USC this year which is certainly possible considering Stanford beat USC, get ready for another year of misery.

Actually, now that I think about it, I would rather see something else happen. I think it would be great for Ohio State to make it to the championship game for the third year in a row, and lose. Well, of course they would lose, that's what Ohio State does in the championship game. That would complete their trifecta, and I'm thinking after that, many people would think twice before putting "The Ohio State" in the The Championship game.

Ahhhh...let's hope it happens! Get those weak conference winning, no conference championship game punks out of there!

Okay, not sure what your point is....

I was just saying for all the love you'd think they would had done something more like win a bowl game recently.

Actually, now that I think about it, I would rather see something else happen. I think it would be great for Ohio State to make it to the championship game for the third year in a row, and lose. Well, of course they would lose, that's what Ohio State does in the championship game. That would complete their trifecta, and I'm thinking after that, many people would think twice before putting "The Ohio State" in the The Championship game.

Ahhhh...let's hope it happens! Get those weak conference winning, no conference championship game punks out of there!

Would be hilarious. Might finally get them to change the BCS to include some sort of playoff.

Anyway, OSU fans need some pain. Anyone making death threats against a freakin' tight end gets what they deserve. Karma is a b*tch.

I'm not quite sure why everyone is hating on Ohio State. They didn't make up the BCS. They don't write the software for the BCS. The BCS puts the teams in the championship game. If Ohio State would have won all those games, they're run would be right up there with ours. Same goes with OU. It can and it will happen again that a team has a stretch like we did in the 90's. Miami would have done it if they wouldn't have lost to Ohio State. USC has been pretty darn close doing it as well. Who knows, Urban Meyer and the Gators may very well be the next to do it.

I'm not quite sure why everyone is hating on Ohio State. They didn't make up the BCS. They don't write the software for the BCS. The BCS puts the teams in the championship game. If Ohio State would have won all those games, they're run would be right up there with ours. Same goes with OU. It can and it will happen again that a team has a stretch like we did in the 90's. Miami would have done it if they wouldn't have lost to Ohio State. USC has been pretty darn close doing it as well. Who knows, Urban Meyer and the Gators may very well be the next to do it.

why do people hate ohio state? because they are over hyped and they refuse to put in a championship game. or you know move to a play off(i believe it was gee gorden who said there would be a play off only after they take the bcs from his cold dead hands)

why do people hate ohio state? because they are over hyped and they refuse to put in a championship game. or you know move to a play off(i believe it was gee gorden who said there would be a play off only after they take the bcs from his cold dead hands)

I have already stated why I dislike Ohio State. They are an over-rated team playing in a fluffy conference.

Get real! NU was a machine in the 90s, once they meshed defense with offense. What killed the goose was losing Osborne, not hiring Gill and the Big 12's change in recruiting standards. Solich was a HORRIBLE recruiter and had NU playing like a spread option service academy team. Gill's recruiting and personality would have kept the program up top while adding in some new offensive wrinkles, like the zone read. when KSU, MU and Texas DESTROY NU in the same season, with better dual threat QBs than NU had, then it's time for a change. Gill would have been great in 97 or 2003! Bo will do for now! Just wish the old system would have stayed in tact. USC, Miami, OSU all relied to much on top recruiting classes! NU never was the top school for blue-chips and that's why what they accomplished from 93-97 was so remarkable! No one has done what they have done in 5 DECADES! Close don't get you the cigar! Bye the way, no one has back to back consensus MNCs other than NU since the 1950's!

Over hyped? Probably, but it's not their fault. It's not their fault they play in a "fluffy" conference. It's not their fault their conference doesn't have a championship game. I find it amazing how short some peoples memories are. When we were in the Big 8, the rest of the country felt the same away about us. When we went to the bowl games, we got slaughtered. Ohio State can't make the rest of their conference better. They're not going to not go to the NC game when the BCS puts them there.

Do we need a playoff system? Yes! But until then, we will probably continue to see teams in the NC game that don't belong there. So what if Ohio State's conference had a championship game. I guess everyone's forgetting that we didn't even make it to ours in 2001, yet we still played in the NC game.

Checking back through the records, there have been 5 instances of teams winning back to back NC. In 55 & 56, OU won titles. In 64 & 65, Alabama won titles. In 70 & 71, NU won titles. In 94 & 95, NU won titles. In 03 & 04, USC won titles. You can't just say outright because there was no BCS back in those years. Hell even with the BCS, we still seem to have split titles once in a while.

Over hyped? Probably, but it's not their fault. It's not their fault they play in a "fluffy" conference. It's not their fault their conference doesn't have a championship game. I find it amazing how short some peoples memories are. When we were in the Big 8, the rest of the country felt the same away about us. When we went to the bowl games, we got slaughtered. Ohio State can't make the rest of their conference better. They're not going to not go to the NC game when the BCS puts them there.

Oh boy, so we might get to see Ohio State lose in the championship game for the third year in a row. WOOOOOOOO! Actually, I hope this happens. And I hope whoever faces Ohio State wins by at least 3 TDs. I also hope that USC - even though I hate them - just dominates lil ole Ohio State. That way, a more deserving team can be put in the final game of the season.

And just for the record, LSU & Ohio State should NOT have been in the 2007 Championship game.

Do we need a playoff system? Yes! But until then, we will probably continue to see teams in the NC game that don't belong there. So what if Ohio State's conference had a championship game. I guess everyone's forgetting that we didn't even make it to ours in 2001, yet we still played in the NC game.

I do want a playoff system, but not the one that is used in the NFL or other divisions of college sports. I think those are lame and make the regular season meaningless. You can lose game after game, but as long as you are at least a .500 team, you can make it to the playoffs. That's crap. I don't want a bunch of average teams playing against each other. I would rather have a handful of teams that have been consistent and proven themselves throughout the season. Here is my playoff idea: Playoff Proposal

Oh boy, so we might get to see Ohio State lose in the championship game for the third year in a row. WOOOOOOOO! Actually, I hope this happens. And I hope whoever faces Ohio State wins by at least 3 TDs. I also hope that USC - even though I hate them - just dominates lil ole Ohio State. That way, a more deserving team can be put in the final game of the season.

And just for the record, LSU & Ohio State should NOT have been in the 2007 Championship game.

I do want a playoff system, but not the one that is used in the NFL or other divisions of college sports. I think those are lame and make the regular season meaningless. You can lose game after game, but as long as you are at least a .500 team, you can make it to the playoffs. That's crap. I don't want a bunch of average teams playing against each other. I would rather have a handful of teams that have been consistent and proven themselves throughout the season. Here is my playoff idea: Playoff Proposal

If and I believe a very big if there is ever a playoff, I think they will keep the BCS in place in order to rank the teams. At the end of the season, they will have like an 8 team playoff or something like that taking the top ranked 8 teams or so. This will put a lot of emphasis on the regular season as a team would have to be ranked in the top 8 or so just to make it into the playoffs.

If and I believe a very big if there is ever a playoff, I think they will keep the BCS in place in order to rank the teams. At the end of the season, they will have like an 8 team playoff or something like that taking the top ranked 8 teams or so. This will put a lot of emphasis on the regular season as a team would have to be ranked in the top 8 or so just to make it into the playoffs.

That's what I would like to see! But it won't be happening anytime soon. So until then, I have to suffer through Ohio State getting their asses handed to them in the title game.