DE Emerson Evans

Give him a year or two, and see how he develops. If he packs on the pounds, then I think he moves inside. He might be a tad slow for defensive end if that happens, but could still be exceptionally quick for an interior lineman.

I'm just glad we got a defensive line commit - we need more.

I think that the debate is more of weather he will stay at DE or move to LB. All things point to DE right now.

in a commitment article i read somewhere, he stated that Eckler told him that he was the Number 1 guy on the board for his position.

I hope that the coaches are seeing things that the services havent.

I dont put alot of stock in the recruiting services. I think that they tend to rate players higher because of the number of camps players attend, or combines or whatever.

some kids just do not have the money to travel to different parts of the country to participate in them. thats why i am going to take the coaches view on things over a service any day

in a commitment article i read somewhere, he stated that Eckler told him that he was the Number 1 guy on the board for his position.

I hope that the coaches are seeing things that the services havent.

I dont put alot of stock in the recruiting services. I think that they tend to rate players higher because of the number of camps players attend, or combines or whatever.

some kids just do not have the money to travel to different parts of the country to participate in them. thats why i am going to take the coaches view on things over a service any day

yeah thats more than likely true, cuase how are u supposed to get noticed with out going to a camp or something, but if u aint got the money u proly aint going to get noticed

Fellas, 255 is NOT small for a high school rush end.

Except he might weigh 235. I'm thinking Scout has the wrong stats as most other sites have 220-235 and a 4.6 40.

NU Football: Huskers adding to '09 class with Lone Star stars

BY NICK RUBEK

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Emerson Evans woke up Wednesday morning and felt like he had a decision made. And he didn't waste time.

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound defensive end from the Houston area promised Wednesday to sign with Nebraska, giving the Huskers their eighth known pledge for the 2009 recruiting class, and second in as many days.

Evans followed the commitment of fellow Texan Jesse Coffey on Tuesday.

"It's exciting," Evans said. "Nebraska is a good school."

Evans, who recorded 87 tackles and 16 sacks as a junior at Alief Taylor High School, said he started thinking seriously about Nebraska after an offer came this summer. He got a few helpful pointers about the Huskers from his position coach, Nebraska native Derek Johnk.

"His whole truck has Nebraska Cornhuskers all over it," Evans said with a laugh. "I think he might have been more excited than I was."

Johnk, who grew up in Schuyler and played at the University of Nebraska at Kearney from 1998 to 2002, is the linebackers coach for Alief Taylor.

"He's a very explosive athlete," Johnk said of Evans. "He's very talented. He has one of those attitudes where he doesn't stop. His motor always runs, and that's the type of player that every coach wants.

"He's a very exciting player to see."

Evans' pledge gives NU five commitments from Texas already, after pulling in nine from the Lone Star State on signing day last February.

Evans called linebackers coach Mike Ekeler after a call to his mother, and said he got to talk to the entire NU staff before it was over.

"I read up on Nebraska and wanted to be a part of it," Evans said. "Tradition is a big thing for me."

Having a defensive-minded head coach at Nebraska also played a major role, Evans said.

"I know he came from LSU and they play defense," he said. "And every school I came from and every school I see is about offense. To see a head coach that's coming from a defensive standpoint, that's something I like."

Evans said he's being projected as a rush end or outside linebacker at Nebraska. Although he's played defensive end exclusively since the seventh grade, Evans expects the Husker staff will get him in the right spot.

"I think I can play any position they put me in," he said.

Evans picked Nebraska over offers from UTEP, Utah and Mississippi.

Except he might weigh 235. I'm thinking Scout has the wrong stats as most other sites have 220-235 and a 4.6 40.

BY NICK RUBEK

Emerson Evans woke up Wednesday morning and felt like he had a decision made. And he didn't waste time.

The 6-foot-1, 235-pound defensive end from the Houston area promised Wednesday to sign with Nebraska, giving the Huskers their eighth known pledge for the 2009 recruiting class, and second in as many days.

Evans followed the commitment of fellow Texan Jesse Coffey on Tuesday.

"It's exciting," Evans said. "Nebraska is a good school."

Evans, who recorded 87 tackles and 16 sacks as a junior at Alief Taylor High School, said he started thinking seriously about Nebraska after an offer came this summer. He got a few helpful pointers about the Huskers from his position coach, Nebraska native Derek Johnk.

"His whole truck has Nebraska Cornhuskers all over it," Evans said with a laugh. "I think he might have been more excited than I was."

Johnk, who grew up in Schuyler and played at the University of Nebraska at Kearney from 1998 to 2002, is the linebackers coach for Alief Taylor.

"He's a very explosive athlete," Johnk said of Evans. "He's very talented. He has one of those attitudes where he doesn't stop. His motor always runs, and that's the type of player that every coach wants.

"He's a very exciting player to see."

Evans' pledge gives NU five commitments from Texas already, after pulling in nine from the Lone Star State on signing day last February.

Evans called linebackers coach Mike Ekeler after a call to his mother, and said he got to talk to the entire NU staff before it was over.

"I read up on Nebraska and wanted to be a part of it," Evans said. "Tradition is a big thing for me."

Having a defensive-minded head coach at Nebraska also played a major role, Evans said.

"I know he came from LSU and they play defense," he said. "And every school I came from and every school I see is about offense. To see a head coach that's coming from a defensive standpoint, that's something I like."

Evans said he's being projected as a rush end or outside linebacker at Nebraska. Although he's played defensive end exclusively since the seventh grade, Evans expects the Husker staff will get him in the right spot.

"I think I can play any position they put me in," he said.

Evans picked Nebraska over offers from UTEP, Utah and Mississippi.

Outside linebacker or rush end seem, at least to me, to be wildly different positions requiring very different attributes. As such, having a player considered as a possible for both positions seems really odd. An OLB needs 4.6 speed or better, needs to have very quick lateral movement, needs to pick up in coverage skills, and need not often play power, one-on-one engagement with a man bigger than them (in traffic anyway). In contrast, the DE need not have that kind of speed, he can have modest lateral movement, need not have coverage skills and is constantly in one-on-one power engagement with bigger men. So, you tend to think 6' or 6'1'' and perhaps 210 pounds of 4.6 (or faster) for the OLB and 6' - 6'3'' or so, 240 - 260 and really strong for the DE. Seems odd that the same guy (Evans) is a potential for either position.

Anyway, I hope that Evans is good. For being in Texas, he did not draw much recruiting attention --- maybe NU got in on him before others saw the potential. I hope that is the case.

And, Emerson, if you are reading this, welcome aboard --- you will love Lincoln, UNL and Husker football. Glad to have you on the team. We will root for you no matter what --- that is what Husker fans do.

BY NICK RUBEK

Outside linebacker or rush end seem, at least to me, to be wildly different positions requiring very different attributes. As such, having a player considered as a possible for both positions seems really odd. An OLB needs 4.6 speed or better, needs to have very quick lateral movement, needs to pick up in coverage skills, and need not often play power, one-on-one engagement with a man bigger than them (in traffic anyway). In contrast, the DE need not have that kind of speed, he can have modest lateral movement, need not have coverage skills and is constantly in one-on-one power engagement with bigger men. So, you tend to think 6' or 6'1'' and perhaps 210 pounds of 4.6 (or faster) for the OLB and 6' - 6'3'' or so, 240 - 260 and really strong for the DE. Seems odd that the same guy (Evans) is a potential for either position.

Anyway, I hope that Evans is good. For being in Texas, he did not draw much recruiting attention --- maybe NU got in on him before others saw the potential. I hope that is the case.

And, Emerson, if you are reading this, welcome aboard --- you will love Lincoln, UNL and Husker football. Glad to have you on the team. We will root for you no matter what --- that is what Husker fans do.

Actually, it depends on what defensive formation you are running. A rush end in a 4-3 is pretty much the same exact position as the weak side OLB in a 3-4, the only difference being one of them is down in a stance, the other is standing. For a good example, look at Lawrence Taylor. Pretty much all he did was rush the passer from a standing LB position.

Actually, it depends on what defensive formation you are running. A rush end in a 4-3 is pretty much the same exact position as the weak side OLB in a 3-4, the only difference being one of them is down in a stance, the other is standing. For a good example, look at Lawrence Taylor. Pretty much all he did was rush the passer from a standing LB position.

Exactly what I was going to say. Plus, the hybrid DE/OLB position - made famous recently by USC and the Patriots - needs both sets of skills. Pelini was heavily influenced by Carroll so I wouldn't be surprised to see him use the hybrid if we have a player capable of it.