SIGNED: LB Chris Williams

I can't get on to youtube but it sounds like this is a great commit for our defense. Welcome aboard

Gigantic:

Here's ESPN's take:

Nebraska adds outside 'backer Chris Williams

Chris Williams, rated No. 25 among OLBs in the Class of 2009, has given his commitment to head coach Bo Pelini and Nebraska. The Huskers now have 14 pledges.

The 230-pound Williams, from Abilene, Texas, picked the Huskers over LSU. He also holds offers from Missouri, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

ESPN's Billy Tucker said of the news, "The Cornhuskers certainly had a productive Thursday on the recruiting trail. Nebraska received a commitment from physical tight end J.T. Kerr (San Diego/Scripps Ranch) earlier in the day and concluded it with a pledge from Williams, a top-25 outside linebacker."

"The Texas native is Nebraska's fourteenth commitment on the year and a major land for Bo Pelini and his future defense in Lincoln. Williams passed up on schools like LSU, Oklahoma as well as all the top in-state programs aside from the Longhorns."

"What we like about Williams is his versatility, durability and toughness as a linebacker prospect. He is not overly flashy but a strong vertical attacker and a very explosive defender. A big-time hitter, Smith runs through ball carriers on contact and just has that pop from his hips you just can't coach. His fundamentals and diagnosing skills are a bit raw but he has the coveted short-area power and strength to play the middle and burst to remain disruptive on the outside."

"Pelini is trying to use his astute defensive pedigree to restore Nebraska's Blackshirt defense in Lincoln -- the addition of Williams and No. 17 corner DeAndre Byrd (Tallahassee, Fla./Lincoln) is promising sign."

Last season, Williams recorded 90 tackles, 32 tackles for loss and 13 sacks earning Class 5A Defensive Player of the Year recognition.

This fall, he's registered 40 tackles, 11 tackles for loss and one sack in seven contests.

Article from omaha.com:

Tight end, linebacker commit to NU

LINCOLN — Two oral commitments within 24 hours ended a quiet month-long stretch for Nebraska recruiting.

J.T. Kerr, a tight end from San Diego, told coach Bo Pelini Wednesday evening that he wanted to play for the Huskers. The next day, highly touted linebacker Chris Williams of Abilene, Texas, chose the Huskers, too.

They're the 13th and 14th recruits to make oral commitments to the Huskers, but their decisions won't become official until national signing day in February.

It had been more than 50 days since Nebraska coaches received their last commitment. Taylor Martinez, an athlete from Corona, Calif., who'll likely play safety for the Huskers, announced his decision on Aug. 22.

Kerr is the Huskers' first tight end of the 2009 class, while Williams may very well be Nebraska's best defensive recruit.

Williams' high school coach, Steve Warren, said the 6-foot-1, 230-pound linebacker chose Nebraska over several suitors. Nearly all of the region's major programs — like Texas Tech, LSU, Alabama and Oklahoma — expressed some interest, he said.

According to Warren, Williams was the state's 5A defensive player of the year last season.

"He's got great speed and great strength, and just has great instincts on the football field," Warren said. "He's a great player."

Williams didn't stop talking about Nebraska after visiting Lincoln on Oct. 4, despite witnessing the Huskers' blowout loss to Missouri, Warren said. "He really wants to be part of that program."

Williams ended his trip to the Nebraska campus with maybe a similar impression to that of Kerr's.

[snip kerr]

I am not one to get excited about recruits considering what has happened with most of them over the past few years. But this one gets me excited. He could be the hammer we need in the LB corps. Could be the first of many new exciting blackshirts to watch.

A little thing I didn't know that I should have, Chris was the Texas 5A (highest classification) DPOY last year as a junior.

Holy crap are you serious?? I knew this kid was good but not that good! How would he not be a higher rated player?

Regardless he held offers from some damn good teams and I'm sure as hell glad he is N...

When I read that he's the top LB prospect in the State of Texas I was like, "Whoa this is a big one!"

First of Congrats on picking Nebraska you can only make our Defense better. Second I hope this will lead to other DT/DE and corners looking at us and saying now with him here and if I come here we could really make a great Defense for them in the future. BO will produce NFL players and I think that will come into play here over the next couple of seasons with Nebraska.

I like the jump this kid has off the snap. I could almost see him at rush end...

You know, the more I look at the kid the more I see him in the Octavien role. Kid is a terrific blitzer as anyone can see from his vids. His anticipation skills on the blitz are something you rarely see from a HS kid. I would almost see him moving over to WILL so he can be better used. Compton can stay on the inside while Chris goes to the outside for years to come.

what about having more of the supper d type playing style?

Demorrio was just a pass rusher. He could beat most OT off the edge and didn't need to blitz to do it. Williams is a terrific blitzer, but not a pure pass rusher.

Sounds like Williams was at the Tech game. He said the look in the eyes of the coaching staff made him know that the program will soon turn the corner. He ended the interview by saying the blackshirts will be back soon.

This is great to hear and to hear that the look of our coaches is what had him make his decision is great to hear as well. :horns2

Sounds like Williams was at the Tech game. He said the look in the eyes of the coaching staff made him know that the program will soon turn the corner. He ended the interview by saying the blackshirts will be back soon.

This is great to hear and to hear that the look of our coaches is what had him make his decision is great to hear as well. :horns2

Er, wut?

Not that it matters much, but I read an interview from a pay site were C. Williams said that he didn't attend the Texas Tech game, he watched it on TV.

There was a quote from C. Williams in that same article that I will make as my signature line once this kid gets to campus. It made the hair on my neck stand up. If we can get 21 other players like this kid, the Huskers will be where we want to be, and that my friends, is BACK on the mountain top.

Getting Chris Williams on campus will be huge