Tube TV wall mount

Has anyone every put a tube TV on a wall mount. I was just wondering how much my wall mount can hold. The TV weighs about 50 lbs and there are 3 leg bolts into a 2x4. The leg bolts look about 2 - 2.5 inches long and between 1/4 and 5/16 inches in diameter. I just unscrewed it a little bit to check one of them. This thing was already hung when we moved in and wasn't sure if I wanted to put the TV on it or not. Would really stink if it fell. :angry: Whats your thoughts.

Has anyone every put a tube TV on a wall mount. I was just wondering how much my wall mount can hold. The TV weighs about 50 lbs and there are 3 leg bolts into a 2x4. The leg bolts look about 2 - 2.5 inches long and between 1/4 and 5/16 inches in diameter. I just unscrewed it a little bit to check one of them. This thing was already hung when we moved in and wasn't sure if I wanted to put the TV on it or not. Would really stink if it fell. :angry: Whats your thoughts.

50#s sounds like a relatively small tv, but buying larger lag bolts would be a cheap way to buy some piece of mind..(You may have to drill larger diameter holes in your brackets..which may slightly weaken them..I would guess you'd want to keep the diameter of the hole less than a third of the width of the bracket).

I've never mounted a tv in a wall, but I'd imagine what you have is sufficient as long as you didn't weaken the existing lag bolts' bite by backing it out, or swinging from it like I know you probably want to do.

If the connection does show signs of looseness, you might want to go 3/8"x 3" or 1/2"x 3.5" if you're also going through 3/4" drywall...I would guess most construction done after the '80s only use 1/2" drywall.

I'd go with as small a lagbolt as you can due to some of the studs propensity to split at the worst possible time...And don't forget to use a washer.

I'm not a pro, but I've done enough to scare my Wife (Accidently drilling through water pipes while putting in a homemade closet organizer..Stud finders that indicate horizontal "studs" are probably seeing copper pipe). <_<

I think I might just set it on the dresser. I finally found my stud finder and there is only a 2x4 stud behind the bracket and to top it off they put the leg bolts on the edge of the stud and not in the middle. Dam cheaply built houses.

Not necessarily a "cheaply built house" but a house built to code. Most 2x4 studs are mounted 16-22" on center and they're installed the way you describe. If you're wanting to mount the tv up on the wall, I'd suggest installing a corner shelf with the bracing attached to the studs.