Shreveport Times article on Khiry Cooper

LINK

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim have not lost much on the field this summer.

It appears, however, the Angels will lose out on signing their fifth-round pick from June's Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft, Calvary Baptist Academy outfielder Khiry Cooper.

Cooper, a University of Nebraska football signee, said he is almost certain not to sign before tonight's midnight Eastern deadline. Teams who do not sign draft selections who are not college seniors receive compensation in next year's draft.

Instead, Cooper will focus on playing football and baseball for the Cornhuskers.

"The whole process was difficult," Cooper said. "It's been my dream to play pro baseball. The opportunity came and it shocked me. I was committed to Nebraska and I didn't know what to do."

Cooper took six hours of summer classes at Nebraska and realized Lincoln was where he needed to be for at least the next three years.

"Throughout the whole process I prayed about it a lot," Cooper said. "I think God wanted me to be here. He didn't want me to chase after money. You can get money anywhere. I'm not saying it wasn't a good sum of money. I felt my place would be here and I'd have a better opportunity after three years — with my degree and playing football and baseball."

Cooper was a two-time All-City and All-State baseball selection for the Cavaliers, patrolling center field for the two-time state champions.

He joins a growing list of risky early Angels' picks who did not sign with the club.

In 2004, Los Angeles drafted Patrick White of Mobile, Ala., in the fourth round. Today, White, a quarterback, is a Heisman Trophy contender at West Virginia. Last year, the Angels drafted Connecticut prep right-hander Matt Harvey in the third round. Harvey turned down the Angels' offer and signed with the University of North Carolina.

Cooper, like White, had a football scholarship in hand when the Angels drafted him. Unlike White, Cooper also plans to play baseball in college.

"I talked to a lot of people," Cooper said. "I talked to (Nebraska assistant baseball) coach (Eric) Newman and my mom talked to (head) coach (Mike) Anderson. They gave me good advice. They never pressured me. They were always like, 'We want the best for you.' They were there for me. That's one of the things that got me to stay here."

Yep! Glad he appears to be staying. I just hope this ends up being a better financial move for him.

The average income for a college graduate is quite a bit higher than H.S. Grad or even a part time college non graduate. If he never makes a dime in Baseball he will be further ahead by getting his education. I can only see his draft status rising after 3 or 4 years in the college game.

He made the right move and I wish him all the luck in the world.

This is great news. I'm glad this kid is looking at life the right way, life after sports. Getting his education will only help him in the future if by chance he gets injured or for some other reason has to stop playing sports. Not only will he be helping the football team but he baseball team also. Good luck Khiry!