LB Darius Moffett

Ohio Pete

Player: Darius Moffett

Hometown: Chicago (Hubbard), IL

Position: LB

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 225 lbs.

Scholarships offered: Illinois, Nebraska, Cincinnati, Louisville, Kansas State, Michigan State, Colorado

Schools of Interest: Illinois, Nebraska, Cincinnati, Louisville, Colorado

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star :star :star 5.6 #47

Bid Red Report: :star :star :star #31 MLB

ESPN: 72 #51 ILB

Assessing the talent (ESPN):

"Moffett is definitely impressive physically as a prospect but is far from polished as an outside linebacker at this time. He is tall, very well-built and defined. Should continue to add great bulk to his long frame and play at the 240-pound range while retaining his current speed. Projects best as an OLB and shows spurts on film where he looks like an impressive D-1 prospect but can also disappear at times. At his best attacking vertically. Flashes good straight-line closing speed on the perimeter and can be disruptive with his long wingspan." More

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 10%. Illinois' to lose but considering a visit to Nebraska

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update from ESPN:

Linebacker Darius Moffett (Chicago/Hubbard) also has yet to select a college. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Moffett has helped his team win all six of its games thus far. Moffett has more than 40 tackles, including six sacks.

Like Drummond, Moffett plans to wait until after the football season to take his visits and select a college. He has four schools under consideration: Illinois, Louisville, Cincinnati and Nebraska, and all four have offered.

"I'm looking at the schools that have offered me," Moffett said. "I'll take my official visits in December and January."

When asked which school sits at the top of his list, Moffett said, "I like my home-state school. I'm kind of a home-state guy. Illinois is a real big school and they have good talent. They've had a lot of successful linebackers."

Of course it's been awhile since Butkus and Nitschke.

• 1 month later...

Probably just missing out for this guy:

Chicago LB ready to decide

Linebacker Darius Moffett (Chicago/Hubbard) is one of the top prospects in the state of Illinois that has yet to select a college. However that is on the verge of changing and Ron Zook appears to be the beneficiary.

"I haven't committed to anyone," Moffett said. "But I have my mind made up where I want to go. I'm putting the finishing touches on that right now."

Moffett has scholarship offers from Illinois, Michigan State, Louisville and Nebraska, schools he has been highly considering, as well as others including Colorado, Cincinnati and Kansas State.

"Illinois is my favorite," Moffett said. "They were the first school to offer me a scholarship. They have been interested in me the longest. I've been there a lot."

When asked how long it would be until he makes a commitment, Moffett said, "Real soon, probably this week."

The 6-foot-4 and 215-pound Moffett played inside and outside linebacker during his senior season. In 11 games he made 142 tackles including 10 sacks.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if Nebraska would be willing to sign and place him. Not sure if the Big 10 does that. Anyway, Illinois obviously leads, but this guy might be at a JUCO in Kansas next year if he can't get his ACT up.

Moffett wants to play for Zook Linebacker Darius Moffett knows he wants to play his college football for Ron Zook at Illinois. He just needs to make sure he takes care of everything academically.

"I plan to go to Illinois as long as I pass my test," Moffett said. "I took it once, but I'll take (the ACT) again in February."

The 6-foot-4 and 215-pound Moffett, who also mentions Michigan State, Louisville and Nebraska among his top schools, made 142 tackles, including 10 sacks, during his senior season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...