Anybody else doubting Cotton?

husker4

Here we go about Barney:

NU in 03 235 rushing per game for 4.3 a carry. (72 ypg being QB Lord)

ISU 04 141 ypg 3.2 ypc

ISU 05 110 ypg 2.7 ypc

ISU 06 101 ypg 3.0 ypg

If you ask me rushing yards and line play go hand in hand. Barney's lines have never really beat teams around and please name a single lineman that has shown improvement on the field under his watch. On Bo's pre-season show he said that Slauson was maybe the most talented Guard he had been around so why hasn't it shown on the field the first two games?

This point last year the team had already rushed for over 500 total yards with basically the same line except for Nicks playing basically the same type teams. This year we have 230 yards. I'm not saying it is all Barney I'm just saying it may be Barney.

You're statistics are totally misleading...

ISU was coming off a 2-10 season when Cotton arrived...and finished 2004 with a 7-5 record, a bowl game, a 1000 yard rusher (Stevie Hicks) and 2257 passing yards (Bret Meyer)...a total turn around.

In 2005, Hicks was hurt early in the season (when a lot of runners are piling up yards against inferior opponents) missing three games and playing sparingly in the other 8. Even playing mix and match with the backs, ISU went 7-5 got to another bowl and Meyer ended up with 2999 total yards (2876 passing).

In 2006, the wheels fell completely off the bus. Hicks was hurt most of the year, his backup, Scales, got hurt and never came back. 4 OL starters went down with injuries as did two of their backups and missed parts of the season...

In addition, you throw out the QB rushing totals (considering Meyer had a habit of running backwards and getting crushed whenever he felt any pressure) and the average rises to close to 4.0 yards a carry for all four years.

I'm not a big Barney Cotton fan but I don't think people should be laying all this at his feet.

I'm doubting our personel groupings, not sure I question the scheme or coach just yet.

According to the FSN Starting lineups for some reason the O'Line we put out to start the game - a series we gave up two sacks and very easily could have lost Ganz for some time had that ankle given way

was manned by Walkon Freshman Conor McDermott, Mike Huff, Jacob Hickman, Walkon Freshman Kenny Anderson and Javario Burkes. With Redshirt Freshman Ryan Hill at Tight End.

From what I saw, the three freshman were manhandled all series, Hickman was beaten twice off the snap by the DT and Huff was coming off the line early, partly due to his own fault and partly because he had to be extra fast in order to help McDermott with his man as well as handle his own assignment.

The first sack *where Ganz's leg was twisted* was a horrible blocking job by Hill. The second was on Hickman but wasn't completely his fault. Huff made initial contact with the DT but had to shift to help McDermott block the end and Anderson didn't pick up anyone. That left Hickman to block both DT's and he got plowed.

After that disaster we started putting a few more experianced players in on the line and had Young handle a fair share of the run blocking out of the TE position. However,

unless I missed it there wasn't a series where we had our starting linemen *minus Murtha* until late in the 3rd quarter.

I'm all for letting those that prove themselves in practice earn their way onto the field, but that tactic isn't going to do us any favors right now. Even against San Jose State. There was no reason not to start our best players and control the game early and than put in the backups and kids that earned PT in practice once the contest was no longer in doubt.

I'm not a big Barney Cotton fan but I don't think people should be laying all this at his feet.

but... it's sooooo easy..!

Offensive line coach Barney Cotton said the linemen weren't adjusting well to the "movement" of the defensive slants and twists and zone blitzes. Right guard Matt Slauson said everyone was trying to do too much, be a "super hero." Pelini said when the line did block, the runners didn't run.

There were three procedure penalties in a row at one point.

"I've only seen that one time before," Cotton said. "At Iowa State, one time we had four in a row."

Now that's comforting.

Uh....it is only the 2nd week of the 1st season for the players and coaches to be working together... After last year, I can't believe that here we are already calling for a coaches head because the players aren't producing up to our lofty expectations.

We are spoiled people...this is real life. We are dealing with kids, and young kids at that. They are going to screw up, what wouldn't be okay for me is if they weren't out there giving 100%. I think they are trying, but I also think they have a lot to learn.

Give Cotton, and the rest of the coaches a break, they are just getting their feet wet with this team. If it took BC 4 years to ruin this team, we aren't going to fix it in two friggin weeks.

As much as this may SEEM like last year, it's NOT last year. Coaches are admitting that problems exist and admitting that fixing them is a priority. They know the line play is an issue.

It ain't last year, folks.

:yeah Yeah, far from last year...in a good way. If I heard one more time that they had a good game plan, and the players just didn't execute it, I am going pull what little hair I have left out.

There aren't my stats they are ISU's under Barney-ball. If you can't look at the stats what can you look at? Rushing yards a game have nothing to do with the passing stats that Meyer and Blthye milked the first few years until they hit their peaks and teams figured them out. I listed RUSHING YARDS and you tell me they are misleading by throwing out Meyer's PASSING YARDS. You also said you can't count the yards lost from a sack, I say BS because the discussion is about Barney's coaching and didn't he coach the OL at ISU? So aren't sacks usually because of crappy blocking?

Like I said before nothing ANYBODY says can change my view of Barney and his lack of coaching skill. He is Cosgrove without the success. Look at the stats and you will see what I mean. The won't mislead you.

There aren't my stats they are ISU's under Barney-ball. If you can't look at the stats what can you look at? Rushing yards a game have nothing to do with the passing stats that Meyer and Blthye milked the first few years until they hit their peaks and teams figured them out. I listed RUSHING YARDS and you tell me they are misleading by throwing out Meyer's PASSING YARDS. You also said you can't count the yards lost from a sack, I say BS because the discussion is about Barney's coaching and didn't he coach the OL at ISU? So aren't sacks usually because of crappy blocking?

Like I said before nothing ANYBODY says can change my view of Barney and his lack of coaching skill. He is Cosgrove without the success. Look at the stats and you will see what I mean. The won't mislead you.

Great...then I'm going back in time and pulling out...say...5 of Hipp's games, or Redwine's games or whoever....just gonna throw them out and pretend they were injured for the same spell that Stevie Hicks was back during Cotton's stay at ISU.

Wow...the Cornhusker rushing average per carry sucked once I did that! I'm surprised you could win at all, let alone a National Championship...with an average like that. The OL coach must have been a total ass!

Want some fun...take away Lucky's stats from the first four games last year and then work out your per rush average for 2007 and see what you get. Makes a little difference when the guy you expect to be your leading ball carrier gets knocked out for a few games huh?

Great...then I'm going back in time and pulling out...say...5 of Hipp's games, or Redwine's games or whoever....just gonna throw them out and pretend they were injured for the same spell that Stevie Hicks was back during Cotton's stay at ISU.

Wow...the Cornhusker rushing average per carry sucked once I did that! I'm surprised you could win at all, let alone a National Championship...with an average like that. The OL coach must have been a total ass!

Want some fun...take away Lucky's stats from the first four games last year and then work out your per rush average for 2007 and see what you get. Makes a little difference when the guy you expect to be your leading ball carrier gets knocked out for a few games huh?

:sarcasm Welcome back Cy....seen your Cyclones won Saturday...how many times did you have to short chain to get a first down for them?

That almost makes sense. Almost. You act like Hicks was freakin Troy Davis when he wasn't even Darrin Davis crap he wasn't even Josh Davis maybe closer to Betty Davis. You remember the Davis brothers that were able to run the ball on crappy ISU teams against almost all the teams they faced. Hicks wouldn't have made as big a difference as you try to make it out ot be. He averaged undre 4 yards a carry when he was healthy and his senior year I believe he played against the Cupcakes and that is where he got most of his earth shattering 523 yards. Also in his coming out year the one that he played all 12 games how many of his awesome 1062 yards came against world beaters UNI, Northern Illinois, Baylor, Nebraska(2004 remember) and KSU?

You also stated throwing out the QB rushing totals, if that is the case throw out the 980 Lord had in 03 when we were playinng Barney-Ball. Imagine what are record would have been that year without those stats.

What National Championships did Redwine or IM Hipp help us win again?

back to the Cotton issue......

all of the current linemen were recruited for a more passing offense, and have been practicing that for a long time.

a road grading, run blocking, technique has to be taught, and that is going to take time.

these linemen were the same as last year for the most part, and the running game was pretty much non-existant

Didn't the Raiders lead the league in rushing during their Super Bowl run while BC was there? Didn't BC preach balance? So why now all of a sudden is everyone jumping on the bandwagon that these OL weren't recruited for run blocking? Last year there wasn't much balance because we were playing from well behind most of the time. I don't buy that these OL were strictly recruited for passing.

That almost makes sense. Almost. You act like Hicks was freakin Troy Davis when he wasn't even Darrin Davis crap he wasn't even Josh Davis maybe closer to Betty Davis. You remember the Davis brothers that were able to run the ball on crappy ISU teams against almost all the teams they faced. Hicks wouldn't have made as big a difference as you try to make it out ot be. He averaged undre 4 yards a carry when he was healthy and his senior year I believe he played against the Cupcakes and that is where he got most of his earth shattering 523 yards. Also in his coming out year the one that he played all 12 games how many of his awesome 1062 yards came against world beaters UNI, Northern Illinois, Baylor, Nebraska(2004 remember) and KSU?

You also stated throwing out the QB rushing totals, if that is the case throw out the 980 Lord had in 03 when we were playinng Barney-Ball. Imagine what are record would have been that year without those stats.

Okay, now I've shown you that an injury to a key back can effect a rushing game in negative ways and that is all beyond anything a OL or OC can do...you can make all the fun you want about world beaters played by ISU in 04 but the majority of them were the same ones that the Huskers played with less success.

Now let's handle this...in singing the praises of Watson you add this in your quote for, I assume, emphasis:

Colorado’s 2004 team produced a 1,000-yard rusher and a 2,000-yard passer for just the second time in school history. In 2005, Colorado quarterback Joel Klatt re-wrote the CU record book under Watson’s guidance. Klatt finished his Buff career as the holder of 44 school records, including most career pass completions, attempts and passing yards.

But, then you tell me this:

If you can't look at the stats what can you look at? Rushing yards a game have nothing to do with the passing stats that Meyer and Blthye milked the first few years until they hit their peaks and teams figured them out.

I'm maybe missing something here but it looks to me like Barney, with his 1000-yard rusher and 2000-yard passer (with Meier rewriting the ISU record book under Barney's guidance...along with all that other crap) and Watson are pretty much equal as far as credentials are concerned...

Did Barney steal your girlfriend or something or did an ISU guy kick sand in your face cuz I'm sensing a lot of hate here.... :dunno

Okay, now I've shown you that an injury to a key back can effect a rushing game in negative ways and that is all beyond anything a OL or OC can do...you can make all the fun you want about world beaters played by ISU in 04 but the majority of them were the same ones that the Huskers played with less success.

Now let's handle this...in singing the praises of Watson you add this in your quote for, I assume, emphasis:

Colorado’s 2004 team produced a 1,000-yard rusher and a 2,000-yard passer for just the second time in school history. In 2005, Colorado quarterback Joel Klatt re-wrote the CU record book under Watson’s guidance. Klatt finished his Buff career as the holder of 44 school records, including most career pass completions, attempts and passing yards.

But, then you tell me this:

If you can't look at the stats what can you look at? Rushing yards a game have nothing to do with the passing stats that Meyer and Blthye milked the first few years until they hit their peaks and teams figured them out.

I'm maybe missing something here but it looks to me like Barney, with his 1000-yard rusher and 2000-yard passer (with Meier rewriting the ISU record book under Barney's guidance...along with all that other crap) and Watson are pretty much equal as far as credentials are concerned...

Did Barney steal your girlfriend or something or did an ISU guy kick sand in your face cuz I'm sensing a lot of hate here.... :dunno

Watsons resume has Division titles(5 if you are counting) and a Conference Title. Barney's has well................................he helped Brett Meyer do good for 2 years.

Nope Barney didn't steal my girlfriend and no an ISU guy didn't kick sand in my face. (My dislike for everything ISU comes from the horrible fans I encountered the times that I made the trip to that wonderful staduim, not just for NU games either) I don't think he is a good coach and his resume backs up what I believe. Like I have stated a number of times if he wasn't a Nebraska guy he wouldn't have this job he wouldn't have had it the first time and would not be at any program comparable to Nebraska. dedhoarse Also people around here wouldn't be so happy to jump to his defense if he hadn't played here. Point blank end of discussion. :boxosoap

As far as Stevie Hicks being a difference maker you will never convince me that he was. I saw him play enough times to realize that Solich had it right by telling him he should be a Linebacker.

For the record my wife went to ISU and I attended some really cool parties in Ames. :wasted

Now to 04 I never once threw out the NU stats from that season or talked up that team (5-6). I was saying that Hicks got the bulk of his yards in that career year against crappy teams INCLUDING the Huskers.

And I'm spent. :moreinteresting:nanalama