DT Latu Heimuli

Husker_Power

Why are you guys making religion as the biggest factor in this kid's decision?? I'm sure just because Ron Brown is a very open christian man doesn't mean he's going to try and force his faith upon Latu, and even if he does say something, maybe Latu doesn't care about that. Perhaps he's looking at Nebraska for other reasons.

Maybe. I'm just assuming that since he's from Utah and BYU tops his list that religion is a factor.

I was brought up in a born again Christian home and we viewed the Mormons as a cult.

:wtf That's pretty ignorant. Just because one faith isn't the same as the other doesn't make them a cult. I'm Lutheran and don't believe many things that catholics believe, yet I wasn't raised to think that every catholic is a cult member.

Anyway, let the kid keep his religion between himself and the coaches. It's none of our business.

-Back to Topic

Even if he takes his mission, he would be a great land.

:wtf That's pretty ignorant. Just because one faith isn't the same as the other doesn't make them a cult. I'm Lutheran and don't believe many things that catholics believe, yet I wasn't raised to think that every catholic is a cult member.

There's a big difference between the Catholic Church and the LDS, as far as why the would be considered a cult. The Book of Mormon (supposedly translated from golden tablets by Joseph Smith, and only him), the early polygamy (still practiced in the FLDS), the virtual absolute power of early leaders (not sure how leadership is organized anymore), etc.. Even if you don't want to call them a cult, they are certainly nowhere near mainstream Christianity. It really depends on how you define Christian, I usually refer to them as a pseudo-Christian fringe group.

There's a big difference between the Catholic Church and the LDS, as far as why the would be considered a cult. The Book of Mormon (supposedly translated from golden tablets by Joseph Smith, and only him), the early polygamy (still practiced in the FLDS), the virtual absolute power of early leaders (not sure how leadership is organized anymore), etc.. Even if you don't want to call them a cult, they are certainly nowhere near mainstream Christianity. It really depends on how you define Christian, I usually refer to them as a pseudo-Christian fringe group.

Oh, religion...

they still believe in God, right? So what's the big deal? Yeah, I know, how dare they not subscribe to the mainstream. And the Catholic Church as an organization is not one with a sterling record either.

Oh, religion...

they still believe in God, right? So what's the big deal? Yeah, I know, how dare they not subscribe to the mainstream. And the Catholic Church as an organization is not one with a sterling record either.

C'mon dudes, this is a Big Red Football forum. Take this stuff to the religion boards.

Mods please delete the last few posts. They have nothing to do with recruiting unless it is a deliberate attempt to harm recruiting cause that is the only thing the discussion accomplishes.

Not trying to harm, that's the last thing I'd want to do, believe me. I was just trying to clear up what I saw as a misconception. Anyway, I'm done, and it WOULD probably be best to delete those posts.

Mods please delete the last few posts. They have nothing to do with recruiting unless it is a deliberate attempt to harm recruiting cause that is the only thing the discussion accomplishes.

+1

The conversation has nothing to do with football.

I agree, this is very detrimental and frankly unnecessary in this forum

I was brought up in a born again Christian home and we viewed the Mormons as a cult.

Anyway, let the kid keep his religion between himself and the coaches. It's none of our business.

-Back to Topic

Even if he takes his mission, he would be a great land.

I didn't say I still believed it, just what we were taught. If he is as religious as some think than I am sure he is pretty secure in his beliefs regardless of what others think.

Asking for MOD removal is a little over the top. Go back thru some of the longer posts, lots of non-recruiting talk.

The idea that we have anything to do with the recruiting process seems a little grand to me.