officials

jh_husker

I'm gonna wave the bullsh#t flag on this one and say anytime a fan, coach, AD, player, etc uses the excuse "it was a bad call that cost us the game", they're looking for a reason why they lost. OU vs Oregon, Denver vs San Diego, NU vs VaTech...all lame excuses as to why they lost the game. Officials don't lose the game. The players do. If they players/team played to their potential and win, the officials did a "great job", but if they lose, the officials "cost us the game". bullsh#t!!

I'm gonna wave the bullsh#t flag on this one and say anytime a fan, coach, AD, player, etc uses the excuse "it was a bad call that cost us the game", they're looking for a reason why they lost. OU vs Oregon, Denver vs San Diego, NU vs VaTech...all lame excuses as to why they lost the game. Officials don't lose the game. The players do. If they players/team played to their potential and win, the officials did a "great job", but if they lose, the officials "cost us the game". bullsh#t!!

OU Oregon doesn't even belong in that list. That DID cost OU the game.

BYU Washington anyone?

BYU Washington anyone?

I would disagree. OU was ranked pretty high and if I remember correctly Oregon wasn't ranked or if they were, they were ranked pretty low and didn't stand a chance of winning. OU should have dominated that game from the start but Oregon played tough and hung with them. Putting OU's loss to Oregon on the Officials is a prime example of what I mentioned originally: the players lost the game, not the officials.

BYU Washington anyone?

I was just getting ready to say the same thing. BYU- Washington was a screwgy!!

Apparently you don't watch the NBA. Of course, that has nothing to do with college football, but if refs wanted to affect the games, they certainly could.

BYU Washington anyone?

I would disagree. OU was ranked pretty high and if I remember correctly Oregon wasn't ranked or if they were, they were ranked pretty low and didn't stand a chance of winning. OU should have dominated that game from the start but Oregon played tough and hung with them. Putting OU's loss to Oregon on the Officials is a prime example of what I mentioned originally: the players lost the game, not the officials.

So you're saying Oregon recovered that kick? :bs:

BYU Washington anyone?

That's not what I'm saying. Re-read what I typed. During the OU-Oregon game, OU was the dominate team. They NEVER should have allowed themselves to be in the position they were in. They should have kicked Oregons ass up and down the field all day long. That game should have been put away early. Instead they played below par and allowed Oregon to stay in the game then turned around and blamed the refs for that bad call and how it cost them the game. That IMO is a bullsh#t answer to bullsh#t playing. No team should ever use a bad call as THE reason they lost the game. Same with our game Saturday night. For players, Pelini, fans to say the Personal Foul against Suh and the subsequent Unsportsmanlike Conduct call on Pelini cost us the game is a weak-ass excuse for weak-ass play.

A bad call by an official is going to affect the game, no doubt about that. But a sign of a good team is how the respond to that call. If OU really wanted to win that game against Oregon, they should have stopped Oregon from scoring. If NU really wanted to come back and win, they should have stopped VaTech from scoring. Period.

BYU Washington anyone?

That's not what I'm saying. Re-read what I typed. During the OU-Oregon game, OU was the dominate team. They NEVER should have allowed themselves to be in the position they were in. They should have kicked Oregons ass up and down the field all day long. That game should have been put away early. Instead they played below par and allowed Oregon to stay in the game then turned around and blamed the refs for that bad call and how it cost them the game. That IMO is a bullsh#t answer to bullsh#t playing. No team should ever use a bad call as THE reason they lost the game. Same with our game Saturday night. For players, Pelini, fans to say the Personal Foul against Suh and the subsequent Unsportsmanlike Conduct call on Pelini cost us the game is a weak-ass excuse for weak-ass play.

A bad call by an official is going to affect the game, no doubt about that. But a sign of a good team is how the respond to that call. If OU really wanted to win that game against Oregon, they should have stopped Oregon from scoring. If NU really wanted to come back and win, they should have stopped VaTech from scoring. Period.

Shoulda coulda woulda. If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. :horns2

A lot of people, not only here, but across the college football world like to say "any given Saturday". The fact that Oklahoma "shoulda" beat the hell out of Oregon doesn't matter at all. That's an opinion at best.

The fact of the matter is that the officials PREVENTED OU from having a fair chance to win the game by completely blowing a obvious and basic call. There is pretty much NO arguing that the call was completely and utterly incorrect at a very critical point in the ball game.

BYU - Washington. Yes, the officials were right. Technically. However, ALL calls are up to the judgment of the official. So you're going to sit there and tell me that the fact that the QB threw ball up in the air after probably the biggest play in his career and possibly the biggest play since Willingham started coaching there warrants a penalty that puts their team at a significant disadvantage? That's BS IMO. Furthermore, that rule is bogus. The NCAA is truly an awful entity when you look at rules like this.

In both those examples the officials did the opposite of what officials should do in a game. Make sure the game is fair for both teams. They completely failed IMO.

NU - Va. Tech. It wasn't nearly as bad as these other examples. However, it unduly made it much harder for NU to try to comeback and win.

A lot of people, not only here, but across the college football world like to say "any given Saturday". The fact that Oklahoma "shoulda" beat the hell out of Oregon doesn't matter at all. That's an opinion at best.

The fact of the matter is that the officials PREVENTED OU from having a fair chance to win the game by completely blowing a obvious and basic call. There is pretty much NO arguing that the call was completely and utterly incorrect at a very critical point in the ball game.

BYU - Washington. Yes, the officials were right. Technically. However, ALL calls are up to the judgment of the official. So you're going to sit there and tell me that the fact that the QB threw ball up in the air after probably the biggest play in his career and possibly the biggest play since Willingham started coaching there warrants a penalty that puts their team at a significant disadvantage? That's BS IMO. Furthermore, that rule is bogus. The NCAA is truly an awful entity when you look at rules like this.

In both those examples the officials did the opposite of what officials should do in a game. Make sure the game is fair for both teams. They completely failed IMO.

NU - Va. Tech. It wasn't nearly as bad as these other examples. However, it unduly made it much harder for NU to try to comeback and win.

I'm not disputing the fact OU should have retained possession of the ball. I agree it was a bogus call. Nor am I disputing the call the officials made in the BYU vs Wash game. I seen the play and thought what Locker did was harmless and the subsequent call was stupid.

What I am disputing is the statement "officials PREVENTED OU from having a fair chance to win the game". The officials didn't make bad calls the entire game. The officials didn't show favorites during the game. The officials didn't sub in for OU on Oregon's following possession. The officials didn't prevent OU from trying to stop Oregon from scoring following the bad call. OU got manhandled that game. OU was out-played. That is what cost them the game. Not that one single bad call.

Nor did the officials block Washington's PAT. Had Washington's line kept BYU from blocking the kick, that call would have become a moot point. Had OU stopped Oregon from scoring, that bad call would have been a moot point. Had NU stopped VaTech from scoring, those penalties would have been a moot point.

I'm not sure exactly how wide the white line is for the out-of-bounds, but it's pretty wide. Suh hit the guy on the very edge if not completely over it. It was the right call. I have no idea whether Pelini deserved the 15 yarder or not. Now, if you want to get into officials costing someone a game how about the 5 down dibacle with the Buff's and the Tigers?

Officials are human. They make mistakes. This is why they've adopted replay. No way in hell would the Suh hit be overturned by replay.

I'm not disputing the fact OU should have retained possession of the ball. I agree it was a bogus call. Nor am I disputing the call the officials made in the BYU vs Wash game. I seen the play and thought what Locker did was harmless and the subsequent call was stupid.

What I am disputing is the statement "officials PREVENTED OU from having a fair chance to win the game". The officials didn't make bad calls the entire game. The officials didn't show favorites during the game. The officials didn't sub in for OU on Oregon's following possession. The officials didn't prevent OU from trying to stop Oregon from scoring following the bad call. OU got manhandled that game. OU was out-played. That is what cost them the game. Not that one single bad call.

Nor did the officials block Washington's PAT. Had Washington's line kept BYU from blocking the kick, that call would have become a moot point. Had OU stopped Oregon from scoring, that bad call would have been a moot point. Had NU stopped VaTech from scoring, those penalties would have been a moot point.

the only thing correct about you arguments is that actually no one knows whether any wrong call by any official ever did cost a team the game since we all don't know what had happened if they had made the right call. Maybe OU had fumbled the ball while taking knees trying to run out the clock and Oregon had recovered and scored. BUT frankly, in that case, that very likely had not happened. So it is pretty save to say that this call did OU cost the game.

And by saying OU lost because they didn't prevent Oregon from scoring you are simply approaching the problem from the wrong side. Because then you would also have to say there is no bad or wrong coaching that ever did cost a team the game. If a coach calls a running play on 3rd and goal on the opponents 20 yard line with 2 seconds left to play and trailing by 2 points instead of kicking a field goal I guess everybody would say that this is a bad call. Sure maybe the FG gets blocked or the kicker misses but that's not as likely as the RB getting stopped before reaching the endzone. So in that case it's also save to say that the coaches decision did cost the game. What would your argument be? That the coach didn't prevent the RB from running 20 yds and scoring a TD??