Hello to Helu

HuskerNMO

here are some stats that i found mind boggeling

The stats at this point:

Lucky has 42 carries for 186 yards and eight catches for 94 yards.

Total = 50 touches for 280 yards, an average of 5.6 yards a touch.

Helu has 27 carries for 164 yards and three catches for 48 yards.

Total = 30 touches for 212 yards, an average of 7.06 yards a touch.

Castille has 25 carries for 95 yards and four catches for 61 yards.

Total = 29 touches for 165 yards, an average of 5.68 yards a touch.

now tell me we cant even get 100 rushing yards against vt??? wtf is up with the blocking??? are we weaker in terms of strength?

here are some stats that i found mind boggeling

The stats at this point:

Lucky has 42 carries for 186 yards and eight catches for 94 yards.

Total = 50 touches for 280 yards, an average of 5.6 yards a touch.

Helu has 27 carries for 164 yards and three catches for 48 yards.

Total = 30 touches for 212 yards, an average of 7.06 yards a touch.

Castille has 25 carries for 95 yards and four catches for 61 yards.

Total = 29 touches for 165 yards, an average of 5.68 yards a touch.

now tell me we cant even get 100 rushing yards against vt??? wtf is up with the blocking??? are we weaker in terms of strength?

Linemen recruited for pass blocking. Under Osborne, we had some OL that were 6'1" and 6'3". The tackles were 6'4"-6'5" and the emphasis was on run

These guys were recruited for the WCO, which is a balance of running and passing. The excuse that they were recruited for just pass blocking is lame. I think the problem is the coaching (Cotton).

lets give him a little time.....

I'm not calling for his job. I think everyone deserves a chance, but look at his track record. I have never been a fan of Cotton and wonder why he was brought back. This is however, just my opinion. I think he is the weak link on this great coaching staff.

There sure is a lot of Barney haters out there! I don't see where all the animosity came from. Had one year as Off Co. and was in a no win situation from the start. Cotton takes far more heat than any other coach from '03'. And I most is undeserving.

Our running problems can't all be put on Cotton, if so than shouldn't Beck be questioned for not coaching up Lucky? Can't just throw Barney under the bus alone.

Essentially the same article in the OWH:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3918...;u_sid=10447246

• NU football schedule

• 2009 NU football commitments

• On the Web: Big 12 Football

• On the Web: Missouri Football

• Related Coverage: The Columbia Daily Tribune

• On the Web: Big 12 Football Stats

• On the Web: NU Football

RELATED

• NU football schedule

• 2009 NU football commitments

• On the Web: Big 12 Football

• On the Web: Missouri Football

• Related Coverage: The Columbia Daily Tribune

• On the Web: Big 12 Football Stats

• On the Web: NU Football

LINCOLN - Coach Bo Pelini seems to recognize there's a problem with the running game, even if the offensive coaches have been reluctant to admit it.

He expressed concern on Sunday, a day after Nebraska recorded just 55 yards on 25 rushes against Virginia Tech. And again on Tuesday, he addressed the same inept aspect of the offense, eventually hinting that there may be a new starter at I-back.

Asked why senior Marlon Lucky has started the Huskers' first four games instead of sophomore Roy Helu, Pelini paused. "Is he?"

So does that mean that you anticipate a change there?

"Possibly. Find out on Saturday."

It may be the first time that Pelini, who often takes a hands-off approach when the Huskers have the football, is forcing his offensive cohorts to do things his way.

Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson and offensive line coach Barney Cotton made it sound like the rotation would stay the same after they watched the Huskers fail to establish an effective run game against the Hokies.

Watson skated around the ineffective run game question by clarifying that the early 9-0 deficit changed the way he made his play calls. Cotton was asked about the inability to run and he told reporters that he thought they "make way too much of that."

Pelini's take on Tuesday was different, a little more critical and a little more definitive.

"We need to run the football better than we did last week," he said Tuesday. "That's always an issue and always something we want to establish. It's a big part of the game. I've said from day one, you've got to stop the run and you've got to be able to run the ball on people to win championships."

Pelini did say during Tuesday's press conference that Lucky didn't lose Saturday's game for the Huskers, but Pelini didn't go out of his way to offer up any specific compliments about the way Lucky has played.

His tone changed when a reporter brought up Helu, though.

"He gets north and south," Pelini said. "He makes good cuts. He's strong. He does a lot of good things. He's very decisive in his running style. I like that. He gets up and hits the hole quick. He's running the ball well."

Now, Pelini could just be playing the old coaching trick in which he tries to motivate his top guy by opening up competition for his spot.

Lucky, the Big 12's top returning rusher from a year ago, has just 186 rushing yards in four games, 103 of that coming against the untested New Mexico State defense. He had just 17 yards against Virginia Tech.

With just four carries, Helu recorded 21 yards against the Hokies, bettering Lucky's output. Helu's 6.1 rushing average in 2008 is 1.7 yards better than Lucky's.

But Helu said Tuesday that the coaches haven't spoken to him about getting the start or receiving any more carries than he's already been getting. "That's news to me. I didn't know about that," Helu said minutes after Pelini talked about the starting spot.

Helu's 12-yard touchdown run - when he made a late cutback and lunged into the end zone with a defender on his waist - capped the Huskers' 75-yard drive late in the third quarter against Virginia Tech.

It was similar to Helu's 14-yard touchdown run that sealed the win over San Jose State, when he made one defender miss and then accelerated for the score.

Lucky just doesn't have any rushing highlights like that in 2008. Instead, it's been Helu who's brought the perfect mix of power and agility. And it seems like Pelini wants more of that.

I would really like to see Helu and Lucky in at the same time. Hopefully the coaches are trying to get this to happen. Lucky may not be the best straight ahead runner, but he is a weapon if used properly. Helu has big play ability as well, I'd like to see more of him.