Huskers think the run game will bust out

“As far as pass protection, we held up well,” Cotton said.

Then why were Ganz and Swift complaining about the pocket breaking down in the post-game presser?

I watched a little bit of the Pelini show and they were showing some plays. Bo even pointed out that the pass protection wasn't there. Aparently, Cotton wasn't watching the right film or even the game for that matter.

They're supposed to say absolutely nothing. They shouldn't even be talking to reporters. Until the team starts to play better, put a gag order on all of them. After Eckler(sp) nearly wetting himself last week over the game plan for Mizzou, put a gag order on the coaching staff as well. It's now the time to put up or shut up.

Well obviously the way to beat this team is "Move around a lot up front to confuse them and then they can't block." GIVE ME A BREAK! If it is that easy to confuse our offensive line about who to block that is disgusting. That is on the coach. He is supposed to get the players prepared to know who to block, not just in stuff they see on tape but in other situation when they see something that was NOT on tape, they should be able to work together to figure out who blocks who. But if the D-line moves and doesn't stand in one spot for them then crap, they are screwed! Missouri didn't seem to have much of a problem with Nebraska's "moving rover" strategy in Pierre Allen and I am pretty damn sure he wasn't standing still!!! What a joke. Maybe they should just ask the opposing defense to stand still for a second so we can take role call and figure out who will block what guy before we snap the ball. That'll work. :boxosoap:rant

AND if they don't know who to block because all the "moving around" then just BLOCK SOMEBODY, ANYBODY. But they don't even do that half the time. I didn't play offensive line in HS but I know the first rule for the O-lineman was if you don't know who to block just find someone to block and don't get caught watching.

Excuse my pessimism, but dont you think if we were "close to busting out" we would see some signs of life. There is nothing happening to make me believe we are even remotely "close". If we are so close, then atleast a couple times a game the O-line should be able to put it together for a gain of longer than 2-3 yds. One 9yd gain does not mean we are close, it means we got lucky. (No pun intended) I know they have to give us this lip service, but this O-line has never really proved they could run in the last 3yrs, so why should we believe they are going to put it together at any point this season? :rant

I'm sure that it's mentally useful for the linemen to believe that they're "this close" to doing something great. It's motivating to correct little mistakes. But I'm sorry, 94 rushing yards isn't "this close" to 400 per game. It's just not.

I'm not assured by anything except results. If Marlon has 200 yards and Roy has another 100 and Q has upwards of fifty cents in change this weekend against T-tech, I'll believe you. Until that happens, keep it under the table how great you think you can become.

They're supposed to say absolutely nothing. They shouldn't even be talking to reporters. Until the team starts to play better, put a gag order on all of them. After Eckler(sp) nearly wetting himself last week over the game plan for Mizzou, put a gag order on the coaching staff as well. It's now the time to put up or shut up.

I agree. The coaches/staff and players just need to shut up. The running game is about to pick up? Great, show us on Saturday. I don't want to hear about it. We have a great defensive scheme that will stop the team we are facing? Great, show us on Saturday.

Just show us on Saturday. Stop saying what you're going to do and just do it.

I am glad that I am not the only one that reacted to this article this way...until they actually do something on the field on Saturday, just shut up. We don't need to know how close you were to doing your job - just do it. We also don't need anyone to point the finger at, because at this point in time, it is the whole team, not any individuals. I did not see any one individual that did a great job Saturday...NOBODY...

Bo pointing the finger at himself is a load of crap for weak minds. Anyone that heard or saw this last game knows that the players are not getting it done. They are just getting their arse whooped on the field, and badly.

Note to Players: Keep your mouths shut and quit with the excuses of why it isn't getting done. Just get it done...let someone else then heap on the praise if it is warranted, just as they heap on the criticism when it's not. In short, let your playing do the talking.

Said senior guard Matt Slauson: “We are on the edge of being a great rushing team. It isn’t any particular guy. It’s just one different guy every different play not necessarily finishing their block. … And what’s weird is they can do it fine on the next play. Just one mental breakdown by one guy kills us every run.”

Since the Huskers have had 165 running plays, Slauson seems to be saying that each lineman has been guilty of 35 mental breakdowns…oh, unless you throw in the two regular reserves, then each one of them has only had 24 mental breakdowns this year. Boil it down a bit and it would appear that during a 10 play drive, you can expect a different lineman to have a mental breakdown of some sort on 6 of the 10 plays…or you could say that each lineman has, on average, 5 mental breakdowns a game. Of course, this doesn’t take into account the mental breakdowns that the linemen have on passing plays which would probably drive the numbers a little higher…this group doesn’t need a coach…it needs a psychiatrist!

“On first down, a lot of times we’re expecting blitz and when we line up and go, we kind of sit and wait and watch and see what they do,” he said. “And we can’t be having that. Because if you wait until third down to fire off, you’ll be short every time.”

Okay…someone help me out here. What teams that Nebraska plays throughout the year blitzes on first down on such a consistent basis that you actually expect it? None of them! Sorry…if that’s what you’re looking for on first down, you need to go back, look at the film and count all the 1st down blitzes you’ve seen this year because you’ll find out your playing a tendency that doesn’t exist. And apparently the line expects the blitz again on 2nd down? It seems that they do since they don’t fire off till 3rd down!?! And isn’t 3rd down traditionally the down where you would expect the blitz??? What is going on here? I mean, it’s been a while since I played football but I’m thinking it can’t have changed that much.

When I read these quotes, I get the sinking feeling that there is something really fundamentally wrong here….

Huskers think the run game will bust out

maybe it will, they are as close to the situation as you can get.

they ought to know.

GO BO!!

They also said the run game would be the strength, and they were pretty close to the situation then too.

the players said "the run game would be the strength" or the "experts"??

which player(s) said that?

GO BO!!