Something to think about - players reading message boards

HAVE A SAFE TRIP AND KICK SOME TAIL!

HUSKERS VS THE WORLD THIS SATURDAY!

GET JACKED UP!

BEAT TECH!

GO BIG RED!

10 year old kids in other nations are considered grown up and work like adults.

Our country is the only one that coddles our youth and tries to extend their childhood way past puberty.

These players were "Men" before they graduated high school.

Like others have said they are out in the real world now.

Take it like a man or cry like a baby.

true, developing the psyche and controlling the ego is part of maturing as a player.....people will mess with you if you are in the spot light, so if you are going to be there might as well get prepared for the critics now.

Our country is the only one that coddles our youth and tries to extend their childhood way past puberty.

And those work places are called 'sweat shops'.

But, I get your point.

GET JACKED UP!

BEAT TECH!

GO BIG RED!

:blink:

Look at the topic.

If you dont like my post dawg, too bad. It was harmless fun. And obvious.

If you dont like our country, that's your problem. Do something about it.

You don't think the 18-23 year olds that continually hear that what they are doing every day is "unneccessary and stupid" by the national media have to deal with it?

..........and I'm not talking about football players, I'm talking about soldiers.

How's that for a little perspective?

The media has more to do with the state of our nation than people think.

The hollywood and democrat social elite sit up on their thrones looking down on the rest of us.

They treat us like their little children wanting to take care of us.

They view illegal immigrants the same way.

Let them all in, they need a place to live, we'll give them free schooling,FREE health care and even help them buy homes illegally.

All the while looking down from the clouds like GODS, not knowing how they are screwing up the country for the rest of us.

GET JACKED UP!

BEAT TECH!

GO BIG RED!

Oldman -- you are a kick. You clearly do not work with kids of this age group. I am a university professor and have worked with college men and women now for approaching 30 years. And, my friend.... no these young people are rarely yet men --- they are kids transitioning into manhood and womanhood. It is the rare one that is already mature and the overwhelming majorityare just learning to get on their adult feet. I do not think it has changed to much in the past 30 years either (somewhat, but not as graphically as many assume). No, these guys with few exceptions are inexperienced kids feeling their way through independence and personal responsibility. These kids are, on average, are far, far more fragile than you suspect.

No 18-20 year old kid can be expected to be mocked and ridiculed in a public forum and not be damaged by it. So, we should keep this in mind.

GET JACKED UP!

BEAT TECH!

GO BIG RED!

Oldman -- you are a kick. You clearly do not work with kids of this age group. I am a university professor and have worked with college men and women now for approaching 30 years. And, my friend.... no these young people are rarely yet men --- they are kids transitioning into manhood and womanhood. It is the rare one that is already mature and the overwhelming majorityare just learning to get on their adult feet. I do not think it has changed to much in the past 30 years either (somewhat, but not as graphically as many assume). No, these guys with few exceptions are inexperienced kids feeling their way through independence and personal responsibility. These kids are, on average, are far, far more fragile than you suspect.

No 18-20 year old kid can be expected to be mocked and ridiculed in a public forum and not be damaged by it. So, we should keep this in mind.

You should forward that message to Jack Murtha and the rest of his Democratic cronies in Congress....

You don't think the 18-23 year olds that continually hear that what they are doing every day is "unneccessary and stupid" by the national media have to deal with it?

..........and I'm not talking about football players, I'm talking about soldiers.

How's that for a little perspective?

The media has more to do with the state of our nation than people think.

The hollywood and democrat social elite sit up on their thrones looking down on the rest of us.

They treat us like their little children wanting to take care of us.

They view illegal immigrants the same way.

Let them all in, they need a place to live, we'll give them free schooling,FREE health care and even help them buy homes illegally.

All the while looking down from the clouds like GODS, not knowing how they are screwing up the country for the rest of us.

LMAO! Exactly what I would expect an old man to say. So you think the your wonderful conservative leaders have nothing to do with the state our country is in and it's ALL the snobby democrats faults? HA HA. Anyway, I'll say no more, because this forum is about Husker football, which you seem to have forgot. <_<

Maybe we can all stand outside of Memorial stadium after a huge embarrassing loss and give them hugs and tell them everything is going to be okay?? These guys are adults and if they cannot handle some fans sharing their opinion about a football game, maybe they should look at themselves and grow up a little.

What do you propose we do about the news stations (local and national) who are suggesting that some players are not doing their jobs or that a coach needs to be fired?

Maybe we can all stand outside of Memorial stadium after a huge embarrassing loss and give them hugs and tell them everything is going to be okay?? These guys are adults and if they cannot handle some fans sharing their opinion about a football game, maybe they should look at themselves and grow up a little.

What do you propose we do about the news stations (local and national) who are suggesting that some players are not doing their jobs or that a coach needs to be fired?

No. No, we should not do that. That would be a mistake on one end of the continuum that few if any would advocate we approach. The problem lies at the other end of the continuum where we, on this board call out by name and ridicule, impugn and tear apart individual players. That is not the right thing to do irrespective of the ability of the 18-20 year old to "take it." Expressing displeasure with the team, certainly is a reasonable thing. To call out an individual by name is not.

Think for a moment of what it would be like as a CB to line man-to-man with a guy who may burn you --- in front of millions of fans (thousands in the stands and millions watching or listening by TV or radio). And, if you get burned, the radio shows and the websites (like this one) go off on you like you are Satan if you get beat (or worse still, beat repeatedly). Touchdown Tommie, have you ever faced such pressure? And if so, were you 19 years old?

No, what these kids are doing, wearing the red N on their helmet is a very, very high pressure thing --- we need to cut them slack. If the opposition is bigger, faster, deeper, has a more developed system, and is superior (as most of our competition is) then our expectations need to be tempered. And we support them in all things (except unsportsmanlike behavior or lack of effort).

GET JACKED UP!

BEAT TECH!

GO BIG RED!

If you think you countered his point, I think you failed. Actually, you cemented it. Here in the U.S. youth are coddled. My grandfather had to quit school after the 8th grade and take over the family farm. He was more of a man at 14 than probably any of your college students. 50 years ago, this was very common. 50 years ago, most 18 year old men were already married and starting families. Now, everyone thinks it's their right or priviledge to go to high school and college.

Btw, there are various forms of mocking and ridiculing. If you were truelly concerned about it, you wouldn't continually say over and over and over how we have absolutely zero talent on this team. I'm thinking some of the players might take offense to this. Keep in mind that the soldiers who are preserving and protecting your so called rights are only 18-22. I'd love for you to tell them that they're just in transition to manhood. They'd thump you into next week especially when you let them know how fragile they are.

I'm going to go ahead and conclude that the majority believes the "If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen" concept about the team. This should be finished....

However I do like how the discussion of whether or not we should post "Marlon Lucky shouldn't be our feature back" has transitioned to cover subjects such as warfare, sweat shops and farming.

GET JACKED UP!

BEAT TECH!

GO BIG RED!

If you think you countered his point, I think you failed. Actually, you cemented it. Here in the U.S. youth are coddled. My grandfather had to quit school after the 8th grade and take over the family farm. He was more of a man at 14 than probably any of your college students. 50 years ago, this was very common. 50 years ago, most 18 year old men were already married and starting families. Now, everyone thinks it's their right or priviledge to go to high school and college.

Btw, there are various forms of mocking and ridiculing. If you were truelly concerned about it, you wouldn't continually say over and over and over how we have absolutely zero talent on this team. I'm thinking some of the players might take offense to this. Keep in mind that the soldiers who are preserving and protecting your so called rights are only 18-22. I'd love for you to tell them that they're just in transition to manhood. They'd thump you into next week especially when you let them know how fragile they are.

Junior:

You have a good point. I have stated that we are short on talent on the team (endeavoring to temper expectations so that people cut these kids some slack). I think, as most of you do, that this is indeed a true statement. My pointing this out may not settle well with players reading this. That said, lack of team talent is not a personal indictment --- it is not to be equated with player A (fill in the name) sucks, or has no talent. That said, I probably have to back off some too because you are right I have affixed some of that criticism to individuals myself.

As for the military issue --- here to the military time is again a transition from youth to manhood. Of this there can be no doubt. In fact if a young military man took offense at one referring that thier experience in the military is a transition period were to respond by, as you say " thumping me into next week" then such would clearly validate that their transition is not yet complete. Most people go into the military (or are sent into the military) precisely to make that transition. That is part of what the military does (and does quite well).

That young people are coddled is a reasonable assertion. I would generally agree. Coddling inhibits maturity --- and that is your point (I surmise). But I would not think that people taking personal potshots at kids (or adults) from a distance under a webpage pseudonym (including Robsker) is not appropriate irrespective of the coddling issue.

That said, Junior you are correct, I need myself to back off in order to be consistent. Thanks for calling me out (and doing so in a civil manner).

Lets all be as positive as we can be.

No. No, we should not do that. That would be a mistake on one end of the continuum that few if any would advocate we approach. The problem lies at the other end of the continuum where we, on this board call out by name and ridicule, impugn and tear apart individual players. That is not the right thing to do irrespective of the ability of the 18-20 year old to "take it." Expressing displeasure with the team, certainly is a reasonable thing. To call out an individual by name is not.

Think for a moment of what it would be like as a CB to line man-to-man with a guy who may burn you --- in front of millions of fans (thousands in the stands and millions watching or listening by TV or radio). And, if you get burned, the radio shows and the websites (like this one) go off on you like you are Satan if you get beat (or worse still, beat repeatedly). Touchdown Tommie, have you ever faced such pressure? And if so, were you 19 years old?

No, what these kids are doing, wearing the red N on their helmet is a very, very high pressure thing --- we need to cut them slack. If the opposition is bigger, faster, deeper, has a more developed system, and is superior (as most of our competition is) then our expectations need to be tempered. And we support them in all things (except unsportsmanlike behavior or lack of effort).

Actually, yes I do. I played college football brother....was it in front of 80,000 fans? No, and that should not matter. Everyone knows, whether it is 1,000 fans or 80,000 fans who got beat and who is not doing their job. but as an athlete, you better be able to take ridicule when it comes your way. As it was stated, if they are going to take praise, they better be able to handle fan's or coach's negative comments as well.

Well I think we've beat the horse to death again on this one, but figured I would give my 2 cents also.

First, I have to say there's a vast difference between being a soldier and an athlete. I can't compare looking out for your battle buddy making sure he/she doesn't get killed to looking out for your teammate making sure they get the right block to ensure their score. And the scope of criticism directed towards a soldier who is risking their life has far graver consequences than criticism directed towards the player who is having trouble blocking or catching a football.

That said, of course criticism has a negative effect on people as a whole, yet it also has positive effect. The key is to take criticism for what it is...a critique. It's part of human nature and it doesn't matter what country you live in, or what age group you belong to. In televised sports, you're gonna have 250,000 pairs of eyes seeing you miss that block, and when they point it out on the forum, with frustration added to it, it's still only a critique.

Ridicule is something way different, far more negative and very unsportmanship-like. I don't think we've stooped that low to ridicule any of our players on this forum. (IMO of course)

And if there are players that read our comments, stop with the penalties!! That's my criticism. GBR!

K, I'm off it... :boxosoap