More nitpicking- 4th down conversions

GI56

I realize we converted like 11 of 17 3rd downs, but I was disappointed in the first half at the amount of 3 and 2 or very short 3rd downs that weren't converted. We would move the ball very well and get into very good 3rd and shorts then follow it up with nothing. I was also pretty disappointed in the personal fouls. We have to be the most penalized team in the Big 12 in regards to personal fouls. Glenn had them in a 3rd and forever, and then he face masks. We had them 4th and long, and follow it up with a roughing the punter.

I don't know what Castille has to do to be benched in those situations. Maybe kill a guy?

The guy's billed as a short-yardage back, but is truly awful in those situations this year.

I agree. He is not a Short Yardage banger anymore for whatever reason. You might as well keep Lucky in there on those plays at least he will hang on to the ball.

As far as the title of this topic I don't think it is nitpicking. It is a part of the game that we haven't been good at.

Our short yardage game is lacking this year. Ganz couldn't even get a yard on a QB sneak Saturday. These plays didn't hurt us Saturday however the one against Tech was huge and if you think it wasn't you are crazy.

I don't know what Castille has to do to be benched in those situations. Maybe kill a guy?

The guy's billed as a short-yardage back, but is truly awful in those situations this year.

I agree. He is not a Short Yardage banger anymore for whatever reason. You might as well keep Lucky in there on those plays at least he will hang on to the ball.

As far as the title of this topic I don't think it is nitpicking. It is a part of the game that we haven't been good at.

Our short yardage game is lacking this year. Ganz couldn't even get a yard on a QB sneak Saturday. These plays didn't hurt us Saturday however the one against Tech was huge and if you think it wasn't you are crazy.

Put Okafor in!!!!!!!!!

Naw with our punting situation so bad we need to make sure we can convert those 4th and shorts, fer sure.

Look no further then the two guards, the center, and the fullback. 4th and a few feet straight up the gut is a physical battle, plus whoever wins the push.

I would not put the ball in Castille's hands if it's a crucial play right now. And 4th downs are pretty damn important.

Thank you for this thread...if we have this poor of percentage on 4th down then why the doubting thomas' on this board questioning why the coaches didn't go for the 'two' vs. Texas Tech:

My theory is the coaches didn't see a play that was better than 50/50 from three yards out at that time in the game.

And based on the stats posted here they were "spot on'. The coaches were correct to take it to overtime and try to win it there based on their gut instincts, IMHO.

(And I'm not beating a dead horse...this is a fresh insight based on new stats posted here)