Empty seats?

NUpolo8

Did you hear me specifically call you out? No you didn't so calm down and and don't try and insult me and call me out. Don't talk about paying tuition either because I have student loans coming out my a$$!

sorry, everytime i see the word "you" directed at something that is a result of something someone posted, it seems to be directed at the person that posted it, no? just the way it works to me.. You said "support your team" wouldn't you then in fact mean to say, students should show up and support their team? or support their peers? or something to that effect? not something that says "your" that is directed at an individual :dunno

If I didn't quote you then I wasn't talking to you specifically. The students as a whole need to show up and be fighting amongst one another for those tickets.

gotcha. just a misunderstanding there then. but i agree completely on that.. nothing else i can do though....

it gets kind of annoying see people do nothing but bash students. Our entire lives we've been talked down upon like we are nothing but little kids, no respect from authority. We're told that as soon as we graduate high school and turn 18 what we say will matter, and people will listen to us. But, still to no avail. Still some people fail to give respect where respect is due. Just because it's a different generation and a different time doesn't mean growing up is easy. Everything has its own difficulties. They may have not had the technology, but we don't have the simplicity and assumed innocence either. There are so many twists and turns to everything. some people actually do understand and respect students, but some just don't.....

I completely disagree with that. I'm a college student and I don't feel that I deserve any respect from elders. They have put in their due and I have no problem with them thinking they are wiser than me and not always listening to what I have to say. Respect should be something earned over time not just automatically given out. Maybe people from my generation were just raised differently but I was raised more "old school" than most and absolutely hate when people my age think that they can do whatever they want and the way they always complain about the way older generations treat them. Not saying you personally but people from our generation in general.

i can agree with that, but disagree at the same time. how are we supposed to gain respect if they don't listen to us? Our voice has to be heard some how. Look at it politically.... i saw a couple of state county maps for the election last week... i was very interested in things... college towns voted very very heavily for Obama while non-college towns didn't. just generalized there, not absolute. Thats one way our voice was heard. (not specifically mine either, not the place for that). But how else do we earn that respect? Another example i will use is from 4 years ago, those from lincoln may remember the worthless mayor we had.... she was invited to come and speak to the YLL group that year (40 of lincoln and surrounding areas brightest students and those who want to influence the area, etc.) and instead of going through anything political or what it's like to be in office, responsibility, what not, she decides to tell us stories about when she grew up. Uh... yea. Things like that, while it may be an extreme example, just shows me complete disrespect for our generation...

Now, i have seen many people that are like "hey you dumb f**kin blue hair wtf do u think your doin you dumb f**kin stupid pile of s**t.." and yea, thats bs. Uncalled for, doesn't deserve respect... but i guess i just distinguish between that, as im sure you do.

I can't sit here and not reply to this. I just can't. For starters, I don't know you or your dad, and I have no idea what your dad does or what you're studying. But if you honestly think your dad didn't sleep on weekends, I have some land in Florida for you. I went to college for almost ten years (don't laugh - the last 6 were in grad school) and I don't know a single person who only slept for 2-3 hours a night. I hear things like that and the person that says them immediately loses all credibility.

And you talk about wanting respect and wanting people to listen to you - well, take a look back at your posts and ask yourself after re-reading them why we should listen. You may very well be an intelligent and well-spoken person, but your posts absolutely come across as whiny and with a sense of entitlement (I'd go back and grab some quotes but I'm stuck on a laptop and hate the damn joystick mouse thingy). Think about how you will be perceived the next time someone behind you asks you to sit down at a game - you'll get a lot farther with a respectful "I'm standing to support my team - I think the players would appreciate it if we ALL stood up" rather than a smart-a$$ answer. And along with that - do you really have blue hair? You may think I'm sounding like an old fart, but that right there is your first obstacle - right or wrong, older people (actually, just about all people) are going to take some convincing in order to take you seriously if your first impression is blue hair...

But the heart of this post is - why didn't the students fill the section? I went to two schools in college, and of the two, only Missouri-Rolla had a football team (if you can call it that). One of the biggest regrets I have is not going to a school with a BIG football stadium I could come to Saturdays. I missed a lot because of that. That's something not everyone gets a chance to do. And even though Neb is down right now, this will be their 4th bowl in the 6 years that any undergrad should be there for - having a winning team is even more of a privelage (can't spell tonight). There is no reason - none - that you shouldn't fill the student section. Repeat - none. Especially in a game as big as Saturday's was.

And I imagine Husker Dan's Army over at Huskerpedia would gladly help you through any red tape to donate or sell your tickets to a veteran.

Did you hear me specifically call you out? No you didn't so calm down and and don't try and insult me and call me out. Don't talk about paying tuition either because I have student loans coming out my a$$!

sorry, everytime i see the word "you" directed at something that is a result of something someone posted, it seems to be directed at the person that posted it, no? just the way it works to me.. You said "support your team" wouldn't you then in fact mean to say, students should show up and support their team? or support their peers? or something to that effect? not something that says "your" that is directed at an individual :dunno

If I didn't quote you then I wasn't talking to you specifically. The students as a whole need to show up and be fighting amongst one another for those tickets.

gotcha. just a misunderstanding there then. but i agree completely on that.. nothing else i can do though....

it gets kind of annoying see people do nothing but bash students. Our entire lives we've been talked down upon like we are nothing but little kids, no respect from authority. We're told that as soon as we graduate high school and turn 18 what we say will matter, and people will listen to us. But, still to no avail. Still some people fail to give respect where respect is due. Just because it's a different generation and a different time doesn't mean growing up is easy. Everything has its own difficulties. They may have not had the technology, but we don't have the simplicity and assumed innocence either. There are so many twists and turns to everything. some people actually do understand and respect students, but some just don't.....

I completely disagree with that. I'm a college student and I don't feel that I deserve any respect from elders. They have put in their due and I have no problem with them thinking they are wiser than me and not always listening to what I have to say. Respect should be something earned over time not just automatically given out. Maybe people from my generation were just raised differently but I was raised more "old school" than most and absolutely hate when people my age think that they can do whatever they want and the way they always complain about the way older generations treat them. Not saying you personally but people from our generation in general.

i can agree with that, but disagree at the same time. how are we supposed to gain respect if they don't listen to us? Our voice has to be heard some how. Look at it politically.... i saw a couple of state county maps for the election last week... i was very interested in things... college towns voted very very heavily for Obama while non-college towns didn't. just generalized there, not absolute. Thats one way our voice was heard. (not specifically mine either, not the place for that). But how else do we earn that respect? Another example i will use is from 4 years ago, those from lincoln may remember the worthless mayor we had.... she was invited to come and speak to the YLL group that year (40 of lincoln and surrounding areas brightest students and those who want to influence the area, etc.) and instead of going through anything political or what it's like to be in office, responsibility, what not, she decides to tell us stories about when she grew up. Uh... yea. Things like that, while it may be an extreme example, just shows me complete disrespect for our generation...

Now, i have seen many people that are like "hey you dumb f**kin blue hair wtf do u think your doin you dumb f**kin stupid pile of s**t.." and yea, thats bs. Uncalled for, doesn't deserve respect... but i guess i just distinguish between that, as im sure you do.

Yea I can see your point there about if they never listen we have no chance to gain respect. And to be honest I don't really have an answer. I guess I have never had a problem of gaining respect from older generations. And yes I have had older people not listen to my side of things just because I was younger but I just let it go and don't get worked up about it. It may not be right but it's something that I have learned to live with. On the other point about the disrespect for our generation I think it comes from a lot of people in our generation doing things to make all of us look bad. They may still be the minority but it does not take that many to give us a bad repuatation. Humans tend to lump people in groups and our age is one of those so when those people do things like you pointed out the perception is then slid over to cover all people our age.

you posted, i posted, you commented back at it. What else are you talking about. yes. that would be what.

You obviously believe in your cause. So feel lucky. At the end of the day, your student body is the first to face not showing up in probably 45 years :horns2 .

But without you guys we have nothing. Gotcha. <_<

I'm going to sleep on my response for a day or two as I can argue both sides of this debate.

For starters, I know some students moved down closer to the field Saturday afternoon to fill in EMPTY SEATS not used by us older alumni that went unused as evidenced by the multitudes of NON STUDENT tickets trying to be dumped outside the stadium before kick off. I witnessed a lady signal back to someone behind me that she scored here ticket for FREE by her hand gestures and hearing her try to shout above the crowd noise.

On the other hand, I know there were students that filled in some of the other 'sold' seats with better viewing areas in our area during the game. No one complainted. The more spirited the area the better.

And I know how this thread that has evolved into the students being relagated to the top of SE Corner of stadium because of the complaints I witnessed first hand that started the wheels in motion two years ago. It was not pretty.

And I'll propose a solution that will get this board to thinking about "yes, that may work" and bring back some life back and impact the students in leading the spirit on game days.

Nothing radical like the 'Drummer Mike' we had in the 90's. That was lame.

And, I will propose a different seating pattern to get our students 'back in the game!'.

But one hint: I will STRONGLY encourage the students NOT to start the WAVE when WE HAVE THE FRICKEN BALL ON OFFENSE!

And AD Tom Osborne AND HC Bo WILL get a copy of my recs with this board's comments and I want to spend some time thinking about the current implications on stadium seating.

But I hope the students will appreciate my ideas to get them directly involved by feeling they have been removed from the action today.

More to follow in a day or two after I vent and visit the Dali Lami:

Nice nap there...

GO TO THE GAMES YOU LITTLE PUKES OR I WILL PULL OUT YOUR PUBES.

Wonder if I will be reading about this in the LJS soon?? hmmm....

You all need to take a chill pill....then send me all your tickets, I will find good homes for every one of them...people that actually want to go to the game because they are enthused by the game and this team, but maybe can't afford to go out and spend a lot of money to be able to do it. If you have tickets, you should feel fortunate that you have the ability to go to the game...and take advantage of it. There are a lot of people out there that can't afford or have no access to tickets.

So all of YOU, quit being mindless jerks, stop your quibbling, and get out there and support YOUR team like you should. This whole topic has gotten kind of ugly...so knock it off, or I will authorize the Pubemeister to do his thing....

Ummm...hate to break it to everyone, but without students, this football program wouldn't exist. Last time I checked this was a UNIVERSITY football program. So therefore, you need a UNIVERSITY with STUDENTS in order to have the football team. They may not pay for all the seats in the stadium, but they do pay for tuition, books, and all that other crap to keep the University alive and well.

Besides, why are we having the argument of "we are better fans than you"? It's stupid. To me, it sounds like BOTH sides need to grow up.

But as clone says...

Opinions may vary

Not here to bash anyone. Just an objective question. When you talk about standing at a game, are you talking about, for example, when you have a 4th and short, when our defense is against the wall near our endzone and we want to see the play, or to stand up and cheer after a great play? These and others are examples when it is appropriate to stand.

But what is wrong, and I am not talking about the student section but the whole stadium, is when a fan stands the whole game, and you have an 80-year-old fan behind you who doesn't have the energy to stand the whole game and can't see. Please don't tell me -- and I am not directing this at anyone specifically -- that the old person should have to stay home not come and "see" the game, too. Older and less healthy fans should be able to see the field and not be blocked the whole time. Just because it's very hard for some fans to stand the whole game doesn't mean he or she should be excluded from attending. It's a give and take situation folks.

Ummm...hate to break it to everyone, but without students, this football program wouldn't exist. Last time I checked this was a UNIVERSITY football program. So therefore, you need a UNIVERSITY with STUDENTS in order to have the football team. They may not pay for all the seats in the stadium, but they do pay for tuition, books, and all that other crap to keep the University alive and well.

Besides, why are we having the argument of "we are better fans than you"? It's stupid. To me, it sounds like BOTH sides need to grow up.

But as clone says...

Opinions may vary

What they are paying for is their education. It is well known that this football program supports itself, and other sports programs that don't support themselves. As far as "needing" the students to buy tickets and attend the games, this is one program that probably could get by without selling a single ticket to a student and still sell out. If a student is going to buy his ticket, I think that what everyone is getting at is that he should at least either attend the game, or sell/give it to someone that will attend the game, therefore supporting HIS university.

I wasn't at the game so I didn't see the empty seats! I had to pay per view it in So Cal and believe me it was hard to watch the game because it was sunny and 80 out here and I really wanted to go to the beach.

But when I went to the University I never sat in my seat and we would all just pile down closer to the turf and leave our bad seats open. In fact I think there has been only two games in my career as a husker fan that I have sat in my assigned seat. I always found a better one than I paid for. I am just saying just because the seats were empty doesn't mean that they weren't at the game.