Empty seats?

NUpolo8

GO TO THE GAMES YOU LITTLE PUKES OR I WILL PULL OUT YOUR PUBES.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:madash

Translation: That was funny as hell until I actually pictured you sticking your hands in some kids underbritches.

I'm just curious..How many of you bashers actually attended UNL?

Near as I can remember, I probably made it to less than half the home games when I went there.

(Sorry..And I regret it now).

Unless you picked a pud major (like Business which ended up paying way more than most of the hard majors), there was a lot of studying to put off 'till the weekends..And more often than not, we had one or two part time jobs that were next to impossible to get off on Football Saturdays.

Freshman Year, it was really difficult for me to just watch the games..I LOVED playing..My favorite thing about playing Football was tackling someone in the open field..It was frustrating as hell not being allowed to tackle someone running down the sideline with the ball..(I almost sympathized with Woody Hays, and I still have to remind myself sometimes not to chase cars) :dumdum ..I went because I promised my cousin's parents I'd take some pictures of him with my Telephoto lens since he was starting some games as a redshirt freshman.

The next three or 6? years, If I wasn't working one of my part time jobs or catching up on putting off my studying, I'd sell my ticket to make $ for textbooks (Usually a textbook cost about the same as face value for a ticket).

The year before I got there, they opened the doors at halftime, so we were told by our older roommate, we could sell them and only miss the 1st half..Which worked out well for me..I needed all the beauty sleep I could get (And other than the times I was fighting severe depression, I did only get 4hrs sleep on school nights).

The games just started WAY too early back in my day..Usually around 1:30PM..On the rare occasions I was able to beg some co-ed to spend the night, I had to wait until 12:30 to sneak her out of my room on the "Engineering floor" of our dorm.

Although I can't remember it ever being too cold to go..maybe cold enough to wear a shirt, but only if the game wasn't televised and there wasn't much chance of getting TV time.

Most people on our floor would sell their tickets to family members of roommates that came in from out of town, and the times we actually went, we only stayed in our own crappy seats for a quarter...then try to find empty seats down closer to the 50 yd line, or just hang out on the track surrounding the field until you got shooed away.

What I really think the University should do is make it easier for students to sell their tickets.

They could make enough money to eat on Sundays (Dorm cafeteria only had Breakfast on Sundays) and maybe go home once a month to see Mom and Dad and do laundry..More Alumni could go to the game without having to bribe someone...The Farm Kids could help pay their own tuition since they can't qualify for student loans (Parents own too much land).

Also..Do away with designated areas for students and "bluehairs".

Sounds like they need to interact more with each other and come to some compromises..

Maybe have a yelling competition to see who gets to sit behind the opponents' bench and possibly have organized yells to really be effective.

I remember standing on my seat most of the games..Looking behind me to see if I was obstructing an older person's view..Offer to trade seats with them if I was, then both of us realizing they still couldn't see because the person ahead of me was standing on their seats..

If the people around you are in their seats, you're more likely to sit ...plus if you're hollering good and loud, the people around you are more likely to rattle their canes and yell something about whippersnappers or at the play on the field, too.

GO TO THE GAMES YOU LITTLE PUKES OR I WILL PULL OUT YOUR PUBES.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:madash

Translation: That was funny as hell until I actually pictured you sticking your hands in some kids underbritches.

I'm just curious..How many of you bashers actually attended UNL?

Near as I can remember, I probably made it to less than half the home games when I went there.

(Sorry..And I regret it now).

Unless you picked a pud major (like Business which ended up paying way more than most of the hard majors), there was a lot of studying to put off 'till the weekends..And more often than not, we had one or two part time jobs that were next to impossible to get off on Football Saturdays.

Freshman Year, it was really difficult for me to just watch the games..I LOVED playing..My favorite thing about playing Football was tackling someone in the open field..It was frustrating as hell not being allowed to tackle someone running down the sideline with the ball..(I almost sympathized with Woody Hays, and I still have to remind myself sometimes not to chase cars) :dumdum ..I went because I promised my cousin's parents I'd take some pictures of him with my Telephoto lens since he was starting some games as a redshirt freshman.

The next three or 6? years, If I wasn't working one of my part time jobs or catching up on putting off my studying, I'd sell my ticket to make $ for textbooks (Usually a textbook cost about the same as face value for a ticket).

The year before I got there, they opened the doors at halftime, so we were told by our older roommate, we could sell them and only miss the 1st half..Which worked out well for me..I needed all the beauty sleep I could get (And other than the times I was fighting severe depression, I did only get 4hrs sleep on school nights).

The games just started WAY too early back in my day..Usually around 1:30PM..On the rare occasions I was able to beg some co-ed to spend the night, I had to wait until 12:30 to sneak her out of my room on the "Engineering floor" of our dorm.

Although I can't remember it ever being too cold to go..maybe cold enough to wear a shirt, but only if the game wasn't televised and there wasn't much chance of getting TV time.

Most people on our floor would sell their tickets to family members of roommates that came in from out of town, and the times we actually went, we only stayed in our own crappy seats for a quarter...then try to find empty seats down closer to the 50 yd line, or just hang out on the track surrounding the field until you got shooed away.

What I really think the University should do is make it easier for students to sell their tickets.

They could make enough money to eat on Sundays (Dorm cafeteria only had Breakfast on Sundays) and maybe go home once a month to see Mom and Dad and do laundry..More Alumni could go to the game without having to bribe someone...The Farm Kids could help pay their own tuition since they can't qualify for student loans (Parents own too much land).

Also..Do away with designated areas for students and "bluehairs".

Sounds like they need to interact more with each other and come to some compromises..

I remember standing on my seat most of the game..Looking behind me to see if I was obstructing an older person's view..Offer to trade seats with them if I was, then realize they still couldn't see because the person ahead of me was standing on their seats..

If the people around you are in their seats, you're more likely to sit ...plus if you're hollering good and loud, the people around you are more likely to rattle their canes and yell something about whippersnappers or at the play on the field, too.

You make some good points. I have always been jealous of the kids that can afford to go to every game, or even most of the games while in college. When I was in college, I was struggling just to feed my face cheap.

Ok, this is borderline ridiculous.

I'm 26 so I can see both sides of this argument.

For the students:

If you are trying to make a point to a bunch of people who get up everyday, work hard, and keep this economy moving in order for you to be able to go to school, don't act so entitled. (btw, that's a bad thing) Don't bring up that your parents are doing better than them. Don't shoot off at the mouth so much about older people respecting you. YOU HAVE TO EARN RESPECT. It is not given, it is earned. In all honesty, if you feel like you deserve equal respect as your elder, I need you to tell me why? If you really need to study that much, then show some responsibility and DON'T APPLY FOR AND BUY THE f'ing TICKETS. Let some other student that doesn't have to that is on the list (of which there are thousands) get your tickets.

However, you guys did get screwed by TO and the Athletic Dept. Ridiculous that they moved you. I also agree with you about the standing thing. Sit on somebody else's shoulders if you want to(exagerration).

I don't remember feeling the same way as you in school, but some did. I grew up in a little town and was taught that you respect your elders and that you didn't deserve respect until you did something to earn it in the real world.

To the "older" crowd on here:

Come on guys, leave this alone. You have to agree, they shouldn't have been moved. If you have a problem with NU having a weak student section don't move it, enlarge it. Let more of them in, that will strenghten it. (and I understand the economics of it, just making a point) Also, I do believe if you don't like somebody standing in front of you, STAY THE f#*k HOME. I get so sick of these old farts tellimg me "down in front." Now I just turn around and stare at them until they turn their head. f#*k them. Don't give me this "unhealthy fans should be able to see, too" sh#t either. If they wanted to be able to see while sitting the entire time, watch it on TV. My dad has cancer and goes to games cheering his ass off and standing the whole time (until we score not matter how long that takes, big plays, etc.). He is dead tired at the end, but he knows he is PRIVILEGED to be at the game and many others aren't.

More than anything else, the argument that their would be a football team without students is absolutely absurd. Seriously, how the hell would a team full of student athletes representing a college (yes, they represent the university, which then represents the state) have a team without students? Think about that before you respond that way.

How about we all just talk about football, how we are going to get 9 wins this year, and how Bo is going to win the National Championship next year just like Bob Stoops.

Had to finish on a high note!!!

Ok, this is borderline ridiculous.

I'm 26 so I can see both sides of this argument.

For the students:

If you are trying to make a point to a bunch of people who get up everyday, work hard, and keep this economy moving in order for you to be able to go to school, don't act so entitled. (btw, that's a bad thing) Don't bring up that your parents are doing better than them. Don't shoot off at the mouth so much about older people respecting you. YOU HAVE TO EARN RESPECT. It is not given, it is earned. In all honesty, if you feel like you deserve equal respect as your elder, I need you to tell me why? If you really need to study that much, then show some responsibility and DON'T APPLY FOR AND BUY THE f'ing TICKETS. Let some other student that doesn't have to that is on the list (of which there are thousands) get your tickets.

However, you guys did get screwed by TO and the Athletic Dept. Ridiculous that they moved you. I also agree with you about the standing thing. Sit on somebody else's shoulders if you want to(exagerration).

I don't remember feeling the same way as you in school, but some did. I grew up in a little town and was taught that you respect your elders and that you didn't deserve respect until you did something to earn it in the real world.

To the "older" crowd on here:

Come on guys, leave this alone. You have to agree, they shouldn't have been moved. If you have a problem with NU having a weak student section don't move it, enlarge it. Let more of them in, that will strenghten it. (and I understand the economics of it, just making a point) Also, I do believe if you don't like somebody standing in front of you, STAY THE f#*k HOME. I get so sick of these old farts tellimg me "down in front." Now I just turn around and stare at them until they turn their head. f#*k them. Don't give me this "unhealthy fans should be able to see, too" sh#t either. If they wanted to be able to see while sitting the entire time, watch it on TV. My dad has cancer and goes to games cheering his ass off and standing the whole time (until we score not matter how long that takes, big plays, etc.). He is dead tired at the end, but he knows he is PRIVILEGED to be at the game and many others aren't.

More than anything else, the argument that their would be a football team without students is absolutely absurd. Seriously, how the hell would a team full of student athletes representing a college (yes, they represent the university, which then represents the state) have a team without students? Think about that before you respond that way.

How about we all just talk about football, how we are going to get 9 wins this year, and how Bo is going to win the National Championship next year just like Bob Stoops.

Had to finish on a high note!!!

You pretty much said how I felt in more detail.

If the students really are not showing up to show up the AD (Athletic Department), the only thing they will end up with is less seats since the AD can actually make more money without them than with them.

However, the AD really screws our students over by pandering to the elder folks who complained, then moving the students away simply because they want to enjoy the game.

Put some of those students behind the visitors and let them give the opposing team heck. That's certainly more intimidating than a 70 year old man coughing up a lung.

Well, someone out there WILL buy those tickets...trust me.

They didn't buy them Saturday, so I don't see them buying them for the CU game. I'm sure half the students that are in Lincoln with tickets will say "screw it, its too cold out" and rip their ticket up.

What a bunch of pu$$ies!! Put a coat on for gosh sakes... :sarcasm

Seriously, though, I think winning will bring the fans back. Call 'em band wagon fans or whatever, they still fill the seats...

I am not sure that we will ever have fans like some of us remember growing up. Times are different, there is too many other things going on on Saturday afternoons now. People don't take the time to spend with their kids and teach them about the tradition of Husker football now days...and even if they took the time, the kids won't always listen anyway.

My kids are all HUSKER8UP and no there is not anything else to do on gameday. They have all been raised with Husker football and are proud of it. I do understand what you are saying though but tell my 12 year old girl you are a mizzou fan and see what you get. She knows more about the players then I do half the time and would put other schools fans to shame. So bring your kids up Husker red and help the tradition live on. When my wife said she may not be able to go to the colorado my little girl said she would go and she didn't care how cold it was. So if your one of those pu$$ies who are not going to go to the game my 12 year GIRL would be glad to take your seat.

my 2 cents:

my dad played and coached at Nebraska, i've been to over 80 games..home, away, and bowls...While I played college football at a D-II school during the dominate 90's which prevented me from being a student there, I still remember crowds at games, especially at Memorial.

I have been to a few games this year, since Osborne allowed Alumni (my dad) to once again be on the short list for some tickets (4 tix, North side, row 90ish, split 3 ways for a total of $2400, [this includes a 'donation']).

I was ASTONISHED at the Baylor game that clear across the stadium in the south end, even with my tired eyes of 32 years, I could plainly see empty seats!! I asked out loud several times how we have continued our 'streak' if there are empty seats?? I know if the tix are 'sold' it's a sellout, but if they're empty? not in my book. this is the first year i've ever seen it not full....maybe not PACKED, but it's always definetly been full.

I don't know what to say. Of course the students are getting screwed, but show up anyway. it's what college is all about!

I would say, overall, that the Stadium just hasn't been the same since the JumoTron has been put in. Several times cheers are started, and the fans are getting into it, and that damn screen shows something (a commercial, a 'flashback', a replay, whatever) and the crowd goes silent; turns their necks, and shuts up and listens to the speakers blast some crap instead of doing Husker Power or just making noise. It is the era we live in, sure, but it definetly takes away from the crowd 100% paying attention to the games. And I've been to at least 2 every year since 1985.

HuskerTrucker, I'm back from my snooze.

The points that I was going to make last night were all made today. I'm not going to rehash them except for two or three important observations:

Until the students learn football 101 such as not starting the WAVE when WE have the ball and leading to a lot of crowd noise then I have not a lot of respect for the students that think they have a lot of knowledge when it comes to football.

I was there a couple of years ago when sitting in the alumni section as guests of the University that many fans politely asked the students in front of us to quit standing ON TOP OF THE SEATS and to stand in the row in front of their sears. It was an impossible request because we were asking students to relay a message down 60 rows or more to get those in front of the section to comply. But some of the responses from the students back to our alumni section totally po'ed those around us and they started by going over to complain to stadium security and not getting any action they started calling the Athletic Department, Stadium Security, Nebraska switchboard, and even Lincoln Police Department on their cell phones because we COULD NOT SEE what was going on below us. Soon, it was a swarm of the 'blues' and yes they hauled out of the stadium the hooligans that failed to follow orders to get off the TOP of your seats. My wife was not pleased as some of the sorority girls right in front of us were members of the house she belonged to while we were in school and ignored polite requests from those around us.

I'd love to see the students back next to and behind the band from the first row to the last row in the SE corner of the stadium to avoid the aforementioned problems. And move the visiting team in front of them and move the Husker's bench in front of the west stadium.

But after reading comments about excuses, entitlements, and attitudes posted here by the students here the past two days I'll let ADTO and HCBP sort through this. I will NOT be pushing my agenda for any changes.

Well, someone out there WILL buy those tickets...trust me.

They didn't buy them Saturday, so I don't see them buying them for the CU game. I'm sure half the students that are in Lincoln with tickets will say "screw it, its too cold out" and rip their ticket up.

What a bunch of pu$$ies!! Put a coat on for gosh sakes... :sarcasm

Seriously, though, I think winning will bring the fans back. Call 'em band wagon fans or whatever, they still fill the seats...

I am not sure that we will ever have fans like some of us remember growing up. Times are different, there is too many other things going on on Saturday afternoons now. People don't take the time to spend with their kids and teach them about the tradition of Husker football now days...and even if they took the time, the kids won't always listen anyway.

My kids are all HUSKER8UP and no there is not anything else to do on gameday. They have all been raised with Husker football and are proud of it. I do understand what you are saying though but tell my 12 year old girl you are a mizzou fan and see what you get. She knows more about the players then I do half the time and would put other schools fans to shame. So bring your kids up Husker red and help the tradition live on. When my wife said she may not be able to go to the colorado my little girl said she would go and she didn't care how cold it was. So if your one of those pu$$ies who are not going to go to the game my 12 year GIRL would be glad to take your seat.

Bravo 8up, I was going to post the same thing... MY 12 year old girl has been raised from day one to take the baton - knows the 'stupidest' field in college FB (Boise State), wants me to now dress like Bo Pelini, and worries that Roy Helu isn't getting on the field enough... Trucker, some of us have the tradition locked down!

'86

just wondering 'Topeka', do you have some pull? you must realize that having students near the field and near our own sideline simply makes it better?

I don't have any more "pull' than those that write big checks to the U and get their opinions heard. But by chance I did get to sit next to Tom Osborne at an event hosted by the alumni assoiciation last month in Lincoln. But I'm sure TO will always remember me for writing a letter to him and telling him I was President of the Southwest Topeka Nebraska Alumni Club and he was our 'Coach of the Year' and all he had to do was beat KU and KSU every year. He did it but Frank Solich broke the streaks. But more seriously...

And yes, I've noticed that KU and K State moved their student bodies behind the benches of the visiting football schools in recent years. And no, we'll never move our faithful fans in the west stadium out to make room for our students there so we pull a switch and move the benches to put the visitors on the east side in front of band (and newly reinstuted student section above them) .

The next time you watch any college football games on tv take this little subtle hint on how different schools place their students in their stadiums.

Until the students learn football 101 such as not starting the WAVE when WE have the ball and leading to a lot of crowd noise then I have not a lot of respect for the students that think they have a lot of knowledge when it comes to football.

I saw the dumbass that was doing the countdown to start it each time...Definitely not one to represent the students of the university...I stood there and thought to myself that it was the worst time to start the wave...He could've cared less

just wondering 'Topeka', do you have some pull? you must realize that having students near the field and near our own sideline simply makes it better?

I don't have any more "pull' than those that write big checks to the U and get their opinions heard. But by chance I did get to sit next to Tom Osborne at an event hosted by the alumni assoiciation last month in Lincoln. But I'm sure TO will always remember me for writing a letter to him and telling him I was President of the Southwest Topeka Nebraska Alumni Club and he was our 'Coach of the Year' and all he had to do was beat KU and KSU every year. He did it but Frank Solich broke the streaks. But more seriously...

And yes, I've noticed that KU and K State moved their student bodies behind the benches of the visiting football schools in recent years. And no, we'll never move our faithful fans in the west stadium out to make room for our students there so we pull a switch and move the benches to put the visitors on the east side in front of band (and newly reinstuted student section above them) .

The next time you watch any college football games on tv take this little subtle hint on how different schools place their students in their stadiums.

There was a terrific discussion on this topic months ago on BRB.

I hope they don't mind me bringing up some of the stats and graphics from other there.

Stats:

Nebraska has the 4th biggest stadium in the B12, bug the 4th lowest student ticket allotment.

In terms of % of the stadium that is covered by the students, Nebraska has the 2nd lowest of all B12 teams.

In graphical form ..

School Allotment Stadium Capacity % Of Stadium

Texas A&M 30,000 82,600 36.32

Texas 20,000 85,123 23.50

Colorado 12,000 53,750 22.33

Texas Tech 11,662 53,000 22.00

Baylor 10,000 50,000 20.00

Missouri 10,000 68,349 14.63

Oklahoma St 9,758* 50,614 19.28

Kansas St 9,000 52,200 17.24

Nebraska 8,500 81,067 10.49

Oklahoma 8,000 82,112 9.74

Iowa St 7,800 55,000 14.18

Kansas 7,064 50,071 14.11

And to compare an even more national perspective, a much larger table that I don't feel like copying. Numbers are a bit dated, but it gives a general feel ..

http://www.hokietickets.com/student/footba...allotments.html

--------

For visual comparison to how we seat our students compared to other schools ..

*credit for most to jiggajwheels from BRB

*note: could not find student seating chart for Baylor or Texas

Nebraska:

fixednew.jpg

Texas A&M:

atmstudents.gif

KSU:

ksustudents.gif

Oklahoma:

oklahoma.jpg

Missouri:

mustudents.gif

Colorado:

custudents.gif

Kansas:

kustudents.gif

Texas Tech:

2egb8tv.gif

Oklahoma State:

BPS-web-ticket-chart-2008.png

Iowa State:

CGYUXITDNEDNSVJ.20080729133020.gif

Florida:

florida.jpg

--------------

Now call me crazy, but I think our students have a bit of a reason to feel a bit disrespected as compared to other students around the country.