Empty seats?

NUpolo8

Hello, I'm a student at the university, and I've browsed these forums for a while now and enjoy reading everything people have to say about the huskers. But I decided to join to add to this post. I was one who did complain after the changing of the student section seating. When I was younger, I made it to a couple of husker games. I never thought they were very exciting because everyone around me was extremely quiet and sat the whole game except for touchdown celebrations. There was no enthusiasm. Until I came to college. My first year that I purchased student tickets was last season. I had never felt so much pride after sitting in the student section after the nevada game. Since then I can't listen to the tunnelwalk song without getting goosebumps, and get the chills every time I drive on 180 heading into downtown going by the stadium. I became angered when I found out they were setting us up farther. I thought, are they really sending us back further so people can sit the whole game and pay half attention to the game while talking to their friends about their past week? I figured if you want to do that, you just as well watch the damn game on tv. But what is done is done, and I still show up early to get a good seat. I braved the cold yesterday, and loved every minute of the ku game. However, from my point of view, people are leaving or not showing up because:

1. We are not the dominant team we were while growing up

2. It was very cold

3. Many of them were still probably hung over

But I believe the first reason is the most important. Many students don't want to go anymore because they don't want to be there to watch us lose. I'm afraid that the past Callahan years may have led some students to become bandwagon fans.

However, I do want it to be known that we did bitch for a reason about our seating being changed, because in past years the student section has provided a great majority of the noise in that stadium. NEVER have I looked over to section 16 and seen fans standing screaming their lungs out before every defensive play, cheering the blackshirts on. But at least the alums don't have to yell at us to sit down anymore, as that was the most noise some of them were making the whole game.

As huskers532 said, be prepared...thanksgiving break will mean even more empty seats

People don't mind standing during a game, it's just rediculous you guys always had to stand on your seats. That really makes it difficult for people behind you to see even while standing up. Kids find it hard to see, older people find it hard to see. They have just as much right to watch the game there as you do. I saw many times on the jumbotron you were asked to not stand on the benches during teh games, security people came and asked you guys to stand on the concrete and not on the benches. Because you could not follow the rules, moving you up was a consequence of your actions. Kids these days think they can do whatever the hell they want without any reguard to others, and then when they are punished, they whine about it and say it isn't fair.

I think there were quite a few students at the game, but it was cold and they seemed more huddled together than before.

Last thing is the song goes, we all stay together in all kinds of weather. Not going because you don't want to watch them lose is a poor excuse. The student section shouldn't be the bandwagon fans of the group.

yet again. people do mind standing. it does not have everything to do with standing on their seats. not at all. standing in general. i remember twice, twice, going to games before being a student, standing after kickoff, and getting yelled at, by multiple people, multiple times. so don't feed me that bs. you say kids these days think they can do whatever they want? well i'll throw this at you, adults these days think they can tell us "kids" to do whatever the hell they want us to do. NEWSFLASH. 99% of all students at the University are adults. 18. Adults. Yet you continue to think you can boss us around and tell us that we are ignorant a$$hole$. maybe there is a reason we act like that? oh wait, thats right, we were RAISED THAT WAY. who raised us? oh wait, the same generation that is complaining that the younger people are that way. Hmm funny how that works, huh? And maybe you don't realize because you aren't a student. But this past week was a huge week for tests. A lot of students may have gone back home for the weekend, or simple checked out and decided to sleep. God forbid that someone tries to catch up on sleep when they are running on three or four hours a night. just as you say it's not all about the "kids" but guess what, it's not all about you either. sorry. think about possible reasons rather than just jumpin down on people when you don't know any circumstances.

18 isn't an adult. You have no idea what the real world is like even when you are in college. I'm 27, so I'm not real old myself. Maybe some of you should listen to advise and not think your being bossed around.

This is getting a tad out of hand, to me yes 18 is an adult, you can vote and defend our country at 18. Would everyone rather have CU's student section then?? I went to the game yesterday and I do feel it was a privilege to get tickets since they are hard to come by and I don't get a chance to get to Lincoln often, but seriously people there has got to better things to talk about on here... :madash

If you think college is hard I can't wait for you to graduate.

But at least you don't have a sense of entitlement though. And lucky for you nothing is your fault.

PS, without you, there'd still be a NU football team.

really? without students there would a football team? wow, i'd love to see how that goes.. and fyi i was at the game. and um.. and how can you say i don't have a sense of entitlement? do you know me? no. but keep judging me as an individual. and don't say it was generic b/c obviously it wasn't. and funny, my dad said life after college is easier than during... maybe you didn't have to do anything during college :dunno , sorry it doesn't work that way for everyone.

Man, what does your dad do for a job then. I want that job

okay, seriously. My dad didn't sleep weekends in college. Period. He busted his ass to get where he is, and well, i'm going to guess it may be better than where you are. He actually ya know, gets to sleep every once and awhile now? He gets to see the pride in all his hard work? yea.....

18 is an adult. Go ask. funny how i walked into a voting booth and voted at 18, funny how i have a friend over in Iraq, at 18. Interesting.

and without students, there would be no university, hence no one for you to support. student athletes aren't just football players, ya realize that, right? there is something other than football in our great university? maybe you didn't know that.....

and to BRI (and ev1 else who can't read) -->

I WAS AT THE EFFIN GAME! not to mention, yeah, tickets are cheap for students.. oh wait, we're students though... so uh, that would mean uh... we're paying tuition!!!! Paying more than it would cost you to scalp tickets every week to every game.

Did you hear me specifically call you out? No you didn't so calm down and and don't try and insult me and call me out. Don't talk about paying tuition either because I have student loans coming out my a$$!

Did you hear me specifically call you out? No you didn't so calm down and and don't try and insult me and call me out. Don't talk about paying tuition either because I have student loans coming out my a$$!

sorry, everytime i see the word "you" directed at something that is a result of something someone posted, it seems to be directed at the person that posted it, no? just the way it works to me.. You said "support your team" wouldn't you then in fact mean to say, students should show up and support their team? or support their peers? or something to that effect? not something that says "your" that is directed at an individual :dunno

sorry, everytime i see the word "you" directed at something that is a result of something someone posted, it seems to be directed at the person that posted it, no? just the way it works to me.. You said "support your team" wouldn't you then in fact mean to say, students should show up and support their team? or support their peers? or something to that effect? not something that says "your" that is directed at an individual :dunno

If I didn't quote you then I wasn't talking to you specifically. The students as a whole need to show up and be fighting amongst one another for those tickets.

If I didn't quote you then I wasn't talking to you specifically. The students as a whole need to show up and be fighting amongst one another for those tickets.

gotcha. just a misunderstanding there then. but i agree completely on that.. nothing else i can do though....

it gets kind of annoying see people do nothing but bash students. Our entire lives we've been talked down upon like we are nothing but little kids, no respect from authority. We're told that as soon as we graduate high school and turn 18 what we say will matter, and people will listen to us. But, still to no avail. Still some people fail to give respect where respect is due. Just because it's a different generation and a different time doesn't mean growing up is easy. Everything has its own difficulties. They may have not had the technology, but we don't have the simplicity and assumed innocence either. There are so many twists and turns to everything. some people actually do understand and respect students, but some just don't.....

I agree with huskerswrkhavoc 100%. Many students including myself go through the week on 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night just to keep up with school. Some do catch up on sleep. I wrote my reply giving it straight. It is sad that some of the students do not go. If the entire student section was empty, then I say the students deserve a bashing. But the student section was not empty, therefore our student section does not suck. What sucks is the few that did not come because they thought it was too cold. But do not bash those that went because we can not control those people that did not go. So don't say the student section is terrible as a whole. Those of us that went are showing dedication. We want a good football program, though thick and thin, good or bad weather. However, I am not going to go out and try to recruit students to come to the game. That is their own decision.

I'm going to sleep on my response for a day or two as I can argue both sides of this debate.

For starters, I know some students moved down closer to the field Saturday afternoon to fill in EMPTY SEATS not used by us older alumni that went unused as evidenced by the multitudes of NON STUDENT tickets trying to be dumped outside the stadium before kick off. I witnessed a lady signal back to someone behind me that she scored here ticket for FREE by her hand gestures and hearing her try to shout above the crowd noise.

On the other hand, I know there were students that filled in some of the other 'sold' seats with better viewing areas in our area during the game. No one complainted. The more spirited the area the better.

And I know how this thread that has evolved into the students being relagated to the top of SE Corner of stadium because of the complaints I witnessed first hand that started the wheels in motion two years ago. It was not pretty.

And I'll propose a solution that will get this board to thinking about "yes, that may work" and bring back some life back and impact the students in leading the spirit on game days.

Nothing radical like the 'Drummer Mike' we had in the 90's. That was lame.

And, I will propose a different seating pattern to get our students 'back in the game!'.

But one hint: I will STRONGLY encourage the students NOT to start the WAVE when WE HAVE THE FRICKEN BALL ON OFFENSE!

And AD Tom Osborne AND HC Bo WILL get a copy of my recs with this board's comments and I want to spend some time thinking about the current implications on stadium seating.

But I hope the students will appreciate my ideas to get them directly involved by feeling they have been removed from the action today.

More to follow in a day or two after I vent and visit the Dali Lami:

gotcha. just a misunderstanding there then. but i agree completely on that.. nothing else i can do though....

it gets kind of annoying see people do nothing but bash students. Our entire lives we've been talked down upon like we are nothing but little kids, no respect from authority. We're told that as soon as we graduate high school and turn 18 what we say will matter, and people will listen to us. But, still to no avail. Still some people fail to give respect where respect is due. Just because it's a different generation and a different time doesn't mean growing up is easy. Everything has its own difficulties. They may have not had the technology, but we don't have the simplicity and assumed innocence either. There are so many twists and turns to everything. some people actually do understand and respect students, but some just don't.....

I completely disagree with that. I'm a college student and I don't feel that I deserve any respect from elders. They have put in their due and I have no problem with them thinking they are wiser than me and not always listening to what I have to say. Respect should be something earned over time not just automatically given out. Maybe people from my generation were just raised differently but I was raised more "old school" than most and absolutely hate when people my age think that they can do whatever they want and the way they always complain about the way older generations treat them. Not saying you personally but people from our generation in general.

I completely disagree with that. I'm a college student and I don't feel that I deserve any respect from elders. They have put in their due and I have no problem with them thinking they are wiser than me and not always listening to what I have to say. Respect should be something earned over time not just automatically given out. Maybe people from my generation were just raised differently but I was raised more "old school" than most and absolutely hate when people my age think that they can do whatever they want and the way they always complain about the way older generations treat them. Not saying you personally but people from our generation in general.

i can agree with that, but disagree at the same time. how are we supposed to gain respect if they don't listen to us? Our voice has to be heard some how. Look at it politically.... i saw a couple of state county maps for the election last week... i was very interested in things... college towns voted very very heavily for Obama while non-college towns didn't. just generalized there, not absolute. Thats one way our voice was heard. (not specifically mine either, not the place for that). But how else do we earn that respect? Another example i will use is from 4 years ago, those from lincoln may remember the worthless mayor we had.... she was invited to come and speak to the YLL group that year (40 of lincoln and surrounding areas brightest students and those who want to influence the area, etc.) and instead of going through anything political or what it's like to be in office, responsibility, what not, she decides to tell us stories about when she grew up. Uh... yea. Things like that, while it may be an extreme example, just shows me complete disrespect for our generation...

Now, i have seen many people that are like "hey you dumb f**kin blue hair wtf do u think your doin you dumb f**kin stupid pile of s**t.." and yea, thats bs. Uncalled for, doesn't deserve respect... but i guess i just distinguish between that, as im sure you do.

Students,

I was on your side when the administration moved the students away from the field. I thought it was the most illogical, ridiculous travesty in a long line of illogical, ridiculous travesties in the last 10 years of Husker football.

But you just lost all of my sympathy. Get yr asses off facebook and quit texting yr BFF and f'ing GO TO THE GAMES YOU Y GENERATION PUSSIES.

Sincerely,

an NU alum

Students,

I was on your side when the administration moved the students away from the field. I thought it was the most illogical, ridiculous travesty in a long line of illogical, ridiculous travesties in the last 10 years of Husker football.

But you just lost all of my sympathy. Get yr asses off facebook and quit texting yr BFF and f'ing GO TO THE GAMES YOU Y GENERATION PUSSIES.

Sincerely,

an NU alum

Are you kidding me?

Wow. That's all i can say about that post.