Minority Football Coaches

CENTEXHUSKER

Affirmative action in college football, fantastic...

I'm sure there are programs that don't want to hire a black coach, but there are more that probably will.

I'm sick of hiring some one due to their race, not their qualifications. If some one can do the job, then hire them for the damn job.

I'm of "native american" decent, and i'm sure i could have played the race card, but I choose not to, because I'm confident in my abilities where I shouldn't have to use my heritage to get me a job.

Also, why don't we hear the outcry for more Asian coaches, more jewish coaches, more american indian coaches, more hispanic coaches in your struggle for equality?

Why does everything have to be turned into something racial. Willingham has been a complete failure at Washington. What are they supposed to do keep him around just because he's black? Ron Prince didn't do squat while at KState. If these two coaches were white, we wouldn't even be talking about this. I'm sure there are very capable black coaches out there. I just think it's a travesty when a black coach gets fired because he can't win games and people get all up in arms over it. If Gill was hired by NU and had the success Willingham has had at Washington, I would hope we could fire him without the backlash. So far, the resume of black HC's hasn't been that stellar. Art Shell wasn't any good. Crennel at Cleveland hasn't exactly set the world on fire either. Dennis Green, not a good coach. Tony Dungy has been an exception, but then again he was sacked at Tampa Bay. I think Mike Tomlin will prove to be a very good coach, but there just hasn't been many with much success. Coaches should be hired and fired based on merit and performance rather than race. As long as there continues to be as much fuss about color, we're probably going to see more and more schools look away from black coaches for fear of the backlash if they don't pan out.

If you don’t think there is a hiring problem then you are crazy. Come on man there are only 4 minority Head Coaches out of 119 schools or 3% that is terrible. You rambled off all of these minority coaches that failed, just think of all the white guys that have failed and still get recycled through the ranks. Charlie Weis has failed at ND just as bad as Willingham did while he was there yet he is still safe. How does that work?

Sure in a perfect world places would hire coaches off of merit but this is far from a perfect world and until things change this will always be brought up. I don’t think people are up in arms that Willingham and Prince were fired, because they did deserve it, they are up in arms because of the low percentage of minority Head Coaches. Racism is a problem even if it doesn’t affect you personally. It is easy for us on the sidelines to say that it isn’t an issue, but look at the stats it shows that it is a glaring one.

For what it is worth I hope Norvell and Gilmore both get jobs as Head Coaches and I hope Turner keeps moving up in the ranks and it isn’t because they are minority coaches, it is because they deserve it.

For the record both Art Shell (56-52) and Dennis Green (113-94) have career winning records in the NFL. Shells teams made the playoffs 3 of his 7 years and Greens teams made it 8 out of 13 years. I just figured I would point those things out since you said they both stunk as coaches.

Well spoken sir.

There is a reason why things like Affirmative action and Rooney are put into place. Its because us white folk are content to sit around and let things stay the same and pretend like nothing is wrong.

Inequalities only get changed because someone speaks up. Someone refuses to sit in the back of the bus. If they didn't do that most of us would just pretend everything was fine- maybe we'd even think it was.

I grew up in NE and my town had a large hispanic population and they were viewed as 2nd class citizens. The only black people we had were adopted by white families or played Basketball at the community college. Interesting stereo-types we were comfortable with. Know what it was called when we rang the doorbell and ran away?

No one was burning crosses or holding clan meetings. We all just had this "Everything is OK for us so it must be OK" thing going on.

I love it when members of the majority, living in a country designed to afford them every privilege start whining about reverse racism. Boo Hooo!! I will admit that I have no idea what it is like to grow up a person of color in this country but I bet it wasn't the same as my experience.

Also, the artcile did not say that Willingham or Prince should keep their jobs. It just stated that by losing their jobs the numbers got worse.

As for the "Why aren't there more asian coaches, etc...." Easy answer. Look at the demographics of the athletes. I'm sure you could've figured that out though.

If you've ever said the words "I'm not racist but......" You are in fact a racist. If you have used the word "Halfrican" when referring to our new president (a word I've seen in the political forums on other husker boards) you are a bigot.

If you think this coaching issue is not really an issue, you are living in a fantasy.

For the record both Art Shell (56-52) and Dennis Green (113-94) have career winning records in the NFL. Shells teams made the playoffs 3 of his 7 years and Greens teams made it 8 out of 13 years. I just figured I would point those things out since you said they both stunk as coaches.

Did you have to sit through all of the disappointments that Denny Green brought the Vikings? Yes, he made the playoffs, but did absolutely nothing with it....the 98 season came down to the kicker who never missed throughout the year until that DAMN game....man, now I am going to have to drink myself to sleep tonight after having that very very bad memory brought up again.

I just think people play the race card way too fast. Just because a black coach is passed over for a coaching job, does not mean a university is being racist. Also, if they suck, they should be fired. I would imagine ND is pretty upset that they extended his contract and would have to pay him A LOT of money to buy him out of his contract.

I come here to talk football, not social-political issues, so I'll leave the issue of inadequate diversity among head coaches alone. Regardless, I have to believe that Charlie Strong at Florida is on the shortlists of many of the search committees conducting business at this time.

Why does everything have to be turned into something racial. Willingham has been a complete failure at Washington. What are they supposed to do keep him around just because he's black? Ron Prince didn't do squat while at KState. If these two coaches were white, we wouldn't even be talking about this. I'm sure there are very capable black coaches out there. I just think it's a travesty when a black coach gets fired because he can't win games and people get all up in arms over it. If Gill was hired by NU and had the success Willingham has had at Washington, I would hope we could fire him without the backlash. So far, the resume of black HC's hasn't been that stellar. Art Shell wasn't any good. Crennel at Cleveland hasn't exactly set the world on fire either. Dennis Green, not a good coach. Tony Dungy has been an exception, but then again he was sacked at Tampa Bay. I think Mike Tomlin will prove to be a very good coach, but there just hasn't been many with much success. Coaches should be hired and fired based on merit and performance rather than race. As long as there continues to be as much fuss about color, we're probably going to see more and more schools look away from black coaches for fear of the backlash if they don't pan out.

If you don’t think there is a hiring problem then you are crazy. Come on man there are only 4 minority Head Coaches out of 119 schools or 3% that is terrible. You rambled off all of these minority coaches that failed, just think of all the white guys that have failed and still get recycled through the ranks. Charlie Weis has failed at ND just as bad as Willingham did while he was there yet he is still safe. How does that work?

Sure in a perfect world places would hire coaches off of merit but this is far from a perfect world and until things change this will always be brought up. I don’t think people are up in arms that Willingham and Prince were fired, because they did deserve it, they are up in arms because of the low percentage of minority Head Coaches. Racism is a problem even if it doesn’t affect you personally. It is easy for us on the sidelines to say that it isn’t an issue, but look at the stats it shows that it is a glaring one.

For what it is worth I hope Norvell and Gilmore both get jobs as Head Coaches and I hope Turner keeps moving up in the ranks and it isn’t because they are minority coaches, it is because they deserve it.

Well spoken sir.

There is a reason why things like Affirmative action and Rooney are put into place. Its because us white folk are content to sit around and let things stay the same and pretend like nothing is wrong.

Inequalities only get changed because someone speaks up. Someone refuses to sit in the back of the bus. If they didn't do that most of us would just pretend everything was fine- maybe we'd even think it was.

I grew up in NE and my town had a large hispanic population and they were viewed as 2nd class citizens. The only black people we had were adopted by white families or played Basketball at the community college. Interesting stereo-types we were comfortable with. Know what it was called when we rang the doorbell and ran away?

No one was burning crosses or holding clan meetings. We all just had this "Everything is OK for us so it must be OK" thing going on.

I love it when members of the majority, living in a country designed to afford them every privilege start whining about reverse racism. Boo Hooo!! I will admit that I have no idea what it is like to grow up a person of color in this country but I bet it wasn't the same as my experience.

Also, the artcile did not say that Willingham or Prince should keep their jobs. It just stated that by losing their jobs the numbers got worse.

As for the "Why aren't there more asian coaches, etc...." Easy answer. Look at the demographics of the athletes. I'm sure you could've figured that out though.

If you've ever said the words "I'm not racist but......" You are in fact a racist. If you have used the word "Halfrican" when referring to our new president (a word I've seen in the political forums on other husker boards) you are a bigot.

If you think this coaching issue is not really an issue, you are living in a fantasy.

Thank you Sir, you said exactly what I was thinking and stated it very eloquently.

Ted Gilmore is a black assistant who is ready to become a head coach. He currently is the assistant head coach/receivers coach at Nebraska.

Never knew he was the Asst head coach. I guess i figured that would have been Watson.

I always thought Ron Brown seven years ago would have made a good head-coach. The problem with black head coaches not lasting is because they usually go to teams that are a train wreck or already going down the steep hill. Most coaches black or white tend to fail going to those jobs but it's more noticeable when another black head coach gets let go, since the media likes to point out how many there are remaining every year.

Face it not every black coach is going to get a chance like Mike Tomlin did going to a good team like the Steelers.

Only like 13% of the population is black so really the percentage is not too far off. How come you never hear anything about not enough Hispanic coaches...they say minority but we all know they mean black. What's next? Are we going to have to start benching black athletes so that whitey can play? That is absurd, the best player takes the field, as does the best coach. As far as I'm concerned let black people play and white people coach....and don't take that last sentence too seriously.

Side note...I'm currently taking a black studies class and my professor absolutely hates the idea of affirmative action, putting numbers in front of black people such as 1st black president, 1st black coach to win ____, etc., and the idea that there enough black coaches.

Only like 13% of the population is black so really the percentage is not too far off. How come you never hear anything about not enough Hispanic coaches...they say minority but we all know they mean black. What's next? Are we going to have to start benching black athletes so that whitey can play? That is absurd, the best player takes the field, as does the best coach. As far as I'm concerned let black people play and white people coach....and don't take that last sentence too seriously.

Side note...I'm currently taking a black studies class and my professor absolutely hates the idea of affirmative action, putting numbers in front of black people such as 1st black president, 1st black coach to win ____, etc., and the idea that there enough black coaches.

Come on now, you can't be using a national population statistic to talk about this issue. Look up the percentage of CFB players that are minorities, heck you don't even have to do that just take a look at the NU roster. If a lot of coaches are former players, why are only 4 of them black? Are you going to sit here and tell me that all of the black players are not smart enough to be head coaches. That must be everyone's reasoning here because all I read on this string was how all institutions should have to worry about is bringing in the "best" candidates. If they are doing such a good job, then it must be true that black people cannot coach. Tell me that isn't racism.

Come on now, you can't be using a national population statistic to talk about this issue. Look up the percentage of CFB players that are minorities, heck you don't even have to do that just take a look at the NU roster. If a lot of coaches are former players, why are only 4 of them black? Are you going to sit here and tell me that all of the black players are not smart enough to be head coaches. That must be everyone's reasoning here because all I read on this string was how all institutions should have to worry about is bringing in the "best" candidates. If they are doing such a good job, then it must be true that black people cannot coach. Tell me that isn't racism.

Like someone earlier asked...what percentage of the people applying for jobs are black and what percentage are white. I highly doubt 97% of the nations universities are racist and pick a coach because he is white. Especially considering more care about making money and winning games makes money and good coaches win games. They take the top candidate and that's it.