Roy Helu/Rick Berns

cb1954

I'm probably one of the few people here old enough to remember NU Iback Rick Berns. But the more I see of Helu he brings back memories of Berns. Running style seems similar, Berns was a little taller.

post-4426-1228241101.jpg

Helu reminds me more of a small Roger Craig. Berns was a total slasher.

So a couple people have mentioned Berns as a total slasher, and a couple have said he wasn't a slasher at all and ran over people. Obviously memories of Rick Berns are crystal clear and he left an everlasting impression on Husker lore.

I'm probably one of the few people here old enough to remember NU Iback Rick Berns. But the more I see of Helu he brings back memories of Berns. Running style seems similar, Berns was a little taller.

post-4426-1228241101.jpg

Helu reminds me more of a small Roger Craig. Berns was a total slasher.

So a couple people have mentioned Berns as a total slasher, and a couple have said he wasn't a slasher at all and ran over people. Obviously memories of Rick Berns are crystal clear and he left an everlasting impression on Husker lore.

Well, he slashed and could run over some people. He didn't have lots of moves was the differentiating thing, and not particularly fast. North/south type guy.

• 11 years later...

Anyway, I've been a diehard fan since,1970-71, since I was 7 years old. This year, I gave up. I finally figured out that folks, from Nebraska weren't even supportive of me! I just chose them from California when I was a kid. Always liked Osborne, etc. But, then I met more and more Nebraskans and I really didn't care for their personalities. Not friendly. Not necessarily wholesome as I thought, either. So, I moved on to Clemson. 

21 minutes ago, Left NU for Clemson said:

Anyway, I've been a diehard fan since,1970-71, since I was 7 years old. This year, I gave up. I finally figured out that folks, from Nebraska weren't even supportive of me! I just chose them from California when I was a kid. Always liked Osborne, etc. But, then I met more and more Nebraskans and I really didn't care for their personalities. Not friendly. Not necessarily wholesome as I thought, either. So, I moved on to Clemson. 

Were you in California when you met these "Nebraskans"?  Maybe they left their Nebraskan manners behind and adopted California manners and personalities.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I remember Berns as a deceptively fast long strider.

In fact, one time (after going for a 94 yd touchdown), TO commented (in typical TO under-stated wryness) he really scored too fast and didn't give our offense time to methodically put together a workman-like drive.

What I remember is, he ran over people. Tough straight ahead power, and enough speed to take it to the house when he broke free. 

Didn't he turn down Okl or San F, when he had been cut his last season, and was asked later in that same year to come back and play for one of them. Could have been another team besides those two.

GBR!!!

15 hours ago, Left NU for Clemson said:

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3