Bo Pelini to...

Reebsker

With the rise in popularity of Turner Gill, I've run across more than a few threads on this board that speculate if the Ohio State position opened up Bo Pelini would jump at the chance of getting hired on as head coach. When he has great success at NU, why do some assume that this would be the natural progression for his career. Granted, he played ball there...but is there something said or implied that I've missed or is it all just speculation?

That would be like Stoops going to Iowa because he played ball there. I don't see it happening. Here's my assumption: if Bo builds Nebraska back to where it once was, I don't think he leaves anytime soon. Just like Stoops is godlike in Oklahoma, Bo would be godlike here. Coaches just don't walk away from that unless they have NFL asperations.

That would be like Stoops going to Iowa because he played ball there. I don't see it happening. Here's my assumption: if Bo builds Nebraska back to where it once was, I don't think he leaves anytime soon. Just like Stoops is godlike in Oklahoma, Bo would be godlike here. Coaches just don't walk away from that unless they have NFL asperations.

The difference is that Iowa is garbage. Stoops would go from a title contender to trying to build another program back up.

If Pelini bolted, he would know what he is getting at Ohio State.

But we are a long way from even having to worry about that anyways.

The difference is that Iowa is garbage. Stoops would go from a title contender to trying to build another program back up.

I get where you're coming from, but then again as some have already mentioned Tressel isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Let's assume Tressel stays for another 5 years. This means Bo stays here for another 5 years. If we're not back to where we once were or very close, Bo probably gets run out of Lincoln anyway.

I agree. I don't think Bo took this job as 'stepping stone' to something better (not that there is). I think he took it to prove he can build a national championship contender year in and year out. When he gets there, why would he leave?

Sheesh, we're 8-4 after his first year and people are starting threads about him leaving? wtf.

I get where you're coming from, but then again as some have already mentioned Tressel isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Let's assume Tressel stays for another 5 years. This means Bo stays here for another 5 years. If we're not back to where we once were or very close, Bo probably gets run out of Lincoln anyway.

Like I said, we are a long way from even having to worry. Tressel is 56 and not on the downside anytime soon.

If I had to guess, Bo is here for at least another 7-10 years, unless he just tanks.

while ohio st would be a huge step up, I seriously doubt OSU would be interested. :dumdum

they would want the saban/urban meyer/paul johnson level coach.

Besides- Tressel isn't leaving.

dedhoarse

while ohio st would be a huge step up, I seriously doubt OSU would be interested. :dumdum

dedhoarse

HUGE STEP UP? uh, your a Husker fan.....right??

With the rise in popularity of Turner Gill, I've run across more than a few threads on this board that speculate if the Ohio State position opened up Bo Pelini would jump at the chance of getting hired on as head coach. When he has great success at NU, why do some assume that this would be the natural progression for his career. Granted, he played ball there...but is there something said or implied that I've missed or is it all just speculation?

My theory is because people automatically assume all coaches want to coach at their alma mater.

dedhoarse

1) Not a HUGE step. NU is a in a big time conference and has a pretty damn good name when it comes to football, no matter whether people want to think if its relevant anymore or not. It is.

2) If Bo builds Nebraska up, i'm pretty sure he's established himself as a saban/meyer type of coach.