DT Ron Coleman

wow, this got scientific, eh? i suspect he gets some good wrestling offers, that may be where he can excel, as opposed to football at the

D-1 level. we shall just have to wait and see.

I am sure Manning would be thrilled to have him. I guess it depends on how badly he wants to play College FB, UNO?

• 1 month later...

I talked to someone from North High a couple of days ago who said virtually no one is looking at him as a DT. He also said Notre Dame has showed interest at FB. FYI

Maybe if he does/did well in this NU camp as a DT it will drudge up some interest. Maybe Bo should see if Trev and Co are interested?

Waiting game for Coleman

Recruiting Notebook: Nebraska tells Coleman to be patient

The biggest question going into Nebraska's football camp this week still doesn't have an answer.

Omaha North junior Ron Coleman said he didn't hear one way or the other if an offer will be coming from NU, although the big man said he feels good about where he stands with the Huskers after his day in Lincoln.

“I was happy with the way everything went,” Coleman said.

Vikings coach Larry Martin, who was in Lincoln to work at the camp, said NU coaches counseled Coleman to be patient.

“They're in their evaluation process,” Martin said. “I thought Ron had an outstanding camp. I know they were impressed.”

Martin said Coleman showed off his “high motor and great technique” in his time at the camp.

“He was in the front of the line for every drill and went after every chance he could,” Martin said. “He did nothing to hurt his value or stock at camp, I can tell you that. If anything, he upped it.”

Some have questioned his size. Coleman said he was measured at 6-foot and 250 pounds.

After playing linebacker as a sophomore and on the defensive line as a junior, Coleman said he spent the entire camp on the line.

“That's where they want me to play,” he said. “It was a lot of drills, a lot of foot and handwork. And I didn't lose any of the 1-on-1 stuff. Camp went real good.”

I talked to someone from North High a couple of days ago who said virtually no one is looking at him as a DT. He also said Notre Dame has showed interest at FB. FYI

Maybe if he does/did well in this NU camp as a DT it will drudge up some interest. Maybe Bo should see if Trev and Co are interested?

I really don't see him at UNO. Kid is an awesome wrestler. While football is his preference I would bet he'd wrestle for a major program rather than play DivII football.

I don't know if he'll get an offer to Neb but I think he should at least get some love from somebody like Wyoming, Ohio, or Iowa State.

I really don't see him at UNO. Kid is an awesome wrestler. While football is his preference I would bet he'd wrestle for a major program rather than play DivII football.

I don't know if he'll get an offer to Neb but I think he should at least get some love from somebody like Wyoming, Ohio, or Iowa State.

ohio fans are looking at him and so are some of the buffalo fans.

• 3 weeks later...

I read an interview of Ron Coleman at the end of last year in which Coleman told the reporter that Nebraska was recruiting him and Pelini said to him he didn't care how tall a guy was, if he was good enough to play DT then that's where he would play. Obviously that doesn't mean that he will be offered a scholarship, or even that he will end up at D tackle if he does, but it certainly shows that Coleman knows where Bo stands.

• 4 months later...

Published Friday December 4, 2009

WRESTLING

Coleman leads North to tournament win

By Nick Rubek

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

« High Schools

It was Ron Coleman's one shining moment, song and all.

But the Omaha North senior couldn't wait to share the spotlight.

Coleman wasted little time after the 100th victory of his career — a pin of Omaha Creighton Prep's Jeff Uher in the heavyweight finals Friday at the Vern Ekfelt Invitational — to find team manager Brian Slobotski. Coleman put his gold medal around the neck of Slobotski, aka “Big B,” who suffers from muscular dystrophy.

Advertising

“I'm sure it was an honor for him,” Coleman said, “but really the honor was all mine. I really wanted to win tonight for Big B. He never frowns, never complains. He's always there for us.”

The classy gesture capped a good night for the Vikings. North crowned only two champions, but moved seven into the finals to take the team title.

Coleman and RaVaughn Perkins won titles for North. Omaha Central and Millard North each crowned three champions, while Omaha Skutt — the winner of the past 13 Class B state titles — had a pair of winners.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious if anyone has heard if Coleman has been offered a spot to walk-on. I would assume that the coaches would love to have him walk-on, but there has been very little word. According to Rivals he has no offers for football right now. It would be nice to know if he is leaning toward accepting a wrestling scholarship if he doesn't get any offers. I would find it hard to believe that he hasn't at least recieved some offers from FCS schools, but maybe rivals just doesn't know about them or list them.

I love this kids heart. I am rooting for him to end up a Husker. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm curious if anyone has heard if Coleman has been offered a spot to walk-on. I would assume that the coaches would love to have him walk-on, but there has been very little word. According to Rivals he has no offers for football right now. It would be nice to know if he is leaning toward accepting a wrestling scholarship if he doesn't get any offers. I would find it hard to believe that he hasn't at least recieved some offers from FCS schools, but maybe rivals just doesn't know about them or list them.

I love this kids heart. I am rooting for him to end up a Husker. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

It will be interesting to see what offers he gets in wrestling.

It will be interesting to see what offers he gets in wrestling.

I really don't like to post unless I know something that most don't that is NOT personal. Since I go to school with the guy, and I have been wrestling with him since I was seven, (I am nowhere near as good as he is fwiw) I thought I might let you know some stuff. He is no doubt the hardest worker I have ever seen. Before high school he just didn't have IT, he was an 8 time youth wrestling champ, but he was 5-8 189, and I swear to you over the summer, he shot up to 5-10 210, with losing his flab and maximizing his frame. He started varsity freshman year, he is a weight room freak. I have lifted with him before and I swear to you, I believe he will be able to bench 450 and squat 525.

His work ethic is nonstop, though I do doubt he can run a 4.7 like the "rumor" that is going around. He is more a solid 5, have I said anything about his work ethic yet? Well I have seen the man do a backflip from the floor, to a step up style ledge in the main hallway. I am 5'11 and he is roughly the same height, though he is about 100 pounds heavier, as he is at 245. BTW he has a GREAT work ethic :) .