DT Ron Coleman

This to me is the PERFECT canidate for a walk on spot. Athletic, home grown, hard working multi sport star. It seems like this is the guy we have been offering instead of getting them to walk on and, to me, to get back to the dominate team we are all used to these are the kids that we HAVE to get to walk on to get our advantage back.

I'm curious if anyone has heard if Coleman has been offered a spot to walk-on. I would assume that the coaches would love to have him walk-on, but there has been very little word. According to Rivals he has no offers for football right now. It would be nice to know if he is leaning toward accepting a wrestling scholarship if he doesn't get any offers. I would find it hard to believe that he hasn't at least recieved some offers from FCS schools, but maybe rivals just doesn't know about them or list them.

I love this kids heart. I am rooting for him to end up a Husker. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

It will be interesting to see what offers he gets in wrestling.

I really don't like to post unless I know something that most don't that is NOT personal. Since I go to school with the guy, and I have been wrestling with him since I was seven, (I am nowhere near as good as he is fwiw) I thought I might let you know some stuff. He is no doubt the hardest worker I have ever seen. Before high school he just didn't have IT, he was an 8 time youth wrestling champ, but he was 5-8 189, and I swear to you over the summer, he shot up to 5-10 210, with losing his flab and maximizing his frame. He started varsity freshman year, he is a weight room freak. I have lifted with him before and I swear to you, I believe he will be able to bench 450 and squat 525.

His work ethic is nonstop, though I do doubt he can run a 4.7 like the "rumor" that is going around. He is more a solid 5, have I said anything about his work ethic yet? Well I have seen the man do a backflip from the floor, to a step up style ledge in the main hallway. I am 5'11 and he is roughly the same height, though he is about 100 pounds heavier, as he is at 245. BTW he has a GREAT work ethic :) .

Nice first post Cornfed and thanks for the insight! These are the stories that I love to hear about. These are the guys who make Nebraska football. I really hope that Coleman becomes a part of it. I couldn't blame him if he didn't if he had school paid for somewhere, but I would love to see him a husker.

I watched this kid wrestle at Skutt this past week and he is incredibly nimble and light on his feet for such a big guy. I have also watched him play football and thought he was a tremendous runner. I think if this kid were to go to NU as a fullback and they could pull about 25 pounds of fat off of him he would be an absolute killer between the tackles runner. Oh yeah, one hell of a wrestler too.

I watched this kid wrestle at Skutt this past week and he is incredibly nimble and light on his feet for such a big guy. I have also watched him play football and thought he was a tremendous runner. I think if this kid were to go to NU as a fullback and they could pull about 25 pounds of fat off of him he would be an absolute killer between the tackles runner. Oh yeah, one hell of a wrestler too.

Fwiw I was the kid at 145 who got stuck. <_< . Tommorow at metro's I will try to squeeze some info :)

Ron Coleman beamed when the question was asked. When does the Omaha North senior and All-Nebraska running back anticipate making a decision on his college plans?

“Soon,” he said with a smile. “Real soon.”

The 5-foot-11, 250-pound Coleman said he plans on taking a trip to Southeast Missouri State (a Football Championship Subdivision, or formerly I-AA school) and then possibly Division II national champion Northwest Missouri State. Although he hasn't ruled out going the Football Bowl Subdivision route, formerly I-A, with Kansas showing interest of late, Coleman said he's just fine with taking the Division II route.

“Almost half of NFL stars out there come from Division II schools,” Coleman said. “It's not about where you go. It's about what you do when you get there. I'm going to be just fine no matter where I go. That's just me.”

Kansas and new coach Turner Gill could play a part in things with Coleman, who has offers from UNO and North Dakota State. Most schools are looking at him as a defensive prospect, on the line or at linebacker.

Coleman said he expects to decide before signing day.

Ron Coleman beamed when the question was asked. When does the Omaha North senior and All-Nebraska running back anticipate making a decision on his college plans?

“Soon,” he said with a smile. “Real soon.”

The 5-foot-11, 250-pound Coleman said he plans on taking a trip to Southeast Missouri State (a Football Championship Subdivision, or formerly I-AA school) and then possibly Division II national champion Northwest Missouri State. Although he hasn't ruled out going the Football Bowl Subdivision route, formerly I-A, with Kansas showing interest of late, Coleman said he's just fine with taking the Division II route.

“Almost half of NFL stars out there come from Division II schools,” Coleman said. “It's not about where you go. It's about what you do when you get there. I'm going to be just fine no matter where I go. That's just me.”

Kansas and new coach Turner Gill could play a part in things with Coleman, who has offers from UNO and North Dakota State. Most schools are looking at him as a defensive prospect, on the line or at linebacker.

Coleman said he expects to decide before signing day.

IMO, if he went here, I see the staff shaving some weight off of him and increasing his explosiveness to use him as a FB. He has good hands and is strong, would be great to have him throw blocks down field.

It's too bad that Coleman is not going to be N. I don't blame him one bit, but I really believe that had he graduated during the 90's when we used our fullbacks a ton he would have warranted a scholarship due to his amazing work ethic. I believe that he would have reached legendary status. I know that we never gave schollies to FBs, but I see Coleman as that kind of kid that you couldn't just let walk away from your program. There is no way that this staff could offer him a scholly with as little as we use a fullback and with limited schollies this year. I know we could have tried him at DT but trying to put that much weight on him would be a risk. Too bad IMO. Best of luck to Coleman.

• 3 weeks later...