2010 Prospects/Commits w/ Offers

Ohio Pete

Rivals shows an offer OT Bronson Irwin out of Mustang OK

Kid is picking up a lot of interest. From today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette:

RECRUITING: Razorbacks working to get most out of Oklahoma ties

By The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas signed four football players from Oklahoma in February ,and the Razorbacks hope to repeat that success in 2010.

Arkansas assistant coach Garrick McGee played at Booker T. Washington in Tulsa, and his father was a longtime coach at that school. McGee’s ties paid off for Arkansas in February, and there is no reason to think McGee can’t repeat that type of success.

McGee will put a lot of effort into raiding his alma mater for two of the state’s better prospects. Washington athlete Eric Bennett, 5-10, 176 pounds, 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash, and defensive tackle Calvin Barnett, 6-3, 292, 5.0, attended two Arkansas games in Fayetteville this past season. Bennett also camped at Arkansas last summer and was one of the more impressive campers at Arkansas’ four-day camp in June.

Bennett helped lead the Hornets to a state title last fall, passing and rushing for 2,206 yards and 25 touchdowns in 7 games. Bennett missed several games midway through the regular season because of an injury.

Bennett and Barnett were at Arkansas on an unofficial visit Feb. 14.

“It was good,” Bennett said. “We attended the basketball game [against Kentucky] and toured the academic center. We also got to meet with our position coaches.”

Bennett has offers from Arkansas, Tennessee and Oklahoma State. Last fall, he attendedArkansas’ games against Alabama and Florida in Fayetteville. Bennett credits McGee for a lot of his interest in Arkansas.

“His dad coached my dad in high school,” Bennett said. “Arkansas is at the top of my list.”

Barnett also has been offered by Arkansas and, like Bennett, has the Razorbacks at the top of his list. He is also close to McGee.

Tulsa Central athlete DeMarco Cobbs, 6-1, 198, 4.5, is generally considered the top player in his class in Oklahoma. Cobbs has offers from Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Southern California, Texas, LSU, Florida, Alabama, Auburn and most other big-time schools.

Cobbs has a chance to become one of the most highly recruited athletes to come out of the state. He rushed for 1,152 yards and 20 touchdowns as a junior, passed for 1,031 yards and 10 touchdowns, caught 6 passes for 213 yards and 2 touchdowns and intercepted 2 passes on defense.

Cobbs, who will likely play wide receiver in college, was at Arkansas on Feb. 14 on an unofficial visit.

“Arkansas was pretty cool,”he said. “I felt welcomed and felt at home. It seemed like everyone was really down-to-earth. It was a very good visit.”

A fourth Oklahoma prospect who was at Arkansas on Feb. 14 and holds an offer from the Razorbacks is Mustang offensive lineman Bronson Irwin, 6-5, 322, 5.2. Irwin also has offers from Alabama, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Kansas, Missouri, Oregon, Texas Tech and others.

“It went really well at Arkansas,” Irwin said. “There was only like 14 of us there, so we got a lot of 1-on-1 time with the coaches. I spent a lot of time with Coach [Mike] Summers.”

Summer coaches the offensive line at the UA and is helping with Irwin’s recruitment. Irwin said he has worked on his pass blocking and run blocking.

“I’m pretty balanced,” Irwin said. “I guess I’m a better pass blocker. We throw it about 70 percent of the time here, but I can also run block.”

Irwin said he has visited several schools for Junior Day events and will continue to check out his options. Many consider Oklahoma the team to beat, but that hasn’t stopped other schools from trying to lure Irwin to their campus.

Arkansas also has reportedly extended a scholarship offer to Oklahoma City Star Spencer running back Terrance Olds, 6-0, 200, 4.5. Olds said Oklahoma State and the Razorbacks have offered scholarships, but he’s keeping his options open.

Heard lands new offer

Defensive back and running back Braylon Heard (Youngstown, Ohio/Cardinal Mooney) has added Nebraska to his list of scholarship offers. Heard has offers from Nebraska, Penn State, West Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina State, Akron and Indiana.

The 5-11, 170-pound Heard rushed for close to 1,000 yards and intercepted two passes during his junior season despite missing a couple games with a sprained ankle. He says Penn State and USC are his two favorite teams.

Pullard taking things slow

ATH Hayes Pullard (Los Angeles, Calif./Crenshaw) is one of the top linebacker recruits in the West and the ESPNU 150 prospect is sitting on three offers right now, but could be close to receiving a few more.

Pullard has been one of the top linebackers in California, since he was a sophomore and earned First-team, All-State underclass honors from CalHiSports for the second year in a row after his junior season.

"Recruiting is good right now," Pullard said. "I have offers from UCLA, Arizona and Arizona State and I haven't even gotten my highlight tape out yet. I'm still working on it and hopefully it will be ready to go out soon.

"Stanford, USC, Oregon and Nebraska are showing a lot of interest as well and have talked about offering soon. Right now, I'm just taking things slow because I have no plans to make an early commitment. I want to take all my visits and don't plan to do anything until close to signing day."

Rivals shows an offer OT Bronson Irwin out of Mustang OK

No surprise. Committed to Oklahoma.

Mustang offensive tackle Bronson Irwin grew up an Oklahoma fan.

Soon, he’ll be a Sooner himself.

Irwin committed to the Sooners on Thursday, according to Rivals.com. That gives OU five commitments for the 2010 recruiting class.

The 6-foot-5, 305-pound Irwin had offers from Missouri, Kansas, Oregon, Alabama, Vanderbilt and Arkansas, among others.

In The Oklahoman’s initial 2010 Top 30 list, Irwin ranks second, behind only Tulsa Central’s DeMarco Cobbs.

So some of you may have been wondering, "Is there a maximum post size?" Well, apparently the answer is yes, as the last DT in the 2010 Prospects list was getting cut off. I decide to move the guys without offers to a new topic to allow for more guys in this topic. In the past this was split up by offense and defense, but since we often don't know who should be in which topic I decided this would work best for now.

Oh and I also am moving the guys who have verbal'ed elsewhere to the bottom so if they start getting cutoff it's not too big of a deal if I lose a few details.