DT George Uko

Ohio Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like UCLA will be the favorite if they offer.

Uko lands SEC offer

He hasn't seen it in writing yet, but defensive tackle George Uko (Chino, Calif./ Don Lugo) received an offer from Tennessee earlier in the week.

"Yeah, it was funny, someone asked me about that because they read it somewhere and I didn't even know about it," Uko said. "My dad talked to them and they said they were offering me and I'm definitely fired up about that one. I don't know a lot about Tennessee but I'm interested and may take a visit in the fall. I'm still waiting on UCLA to offer as well. I was at practice yesterday and that was cool. We talked about an offer and they said they want me to camp with them and said I still have something to prove to them."

"Right now, I'm not sure what I'll do. I honestly don't know what I have to prove to them still but I'm thinking about it. I'm going to the Nike Camp next weekend and will also attend the USC Rising Stars camp in the summer."

Nebraska, Arizona, Oregon and Arizona State have also offered.

From Husker Journal. Let's get this kid! We need his addition to the Big Red!

APRIL 21, 2009. PREP STAR

GEORGE UKO, DL, 6-4, 280, 4.93, CHINO (LUGO), CALIFORNIA

Uko has offers from Colorado, Tennessee, Oregon, Nebraska, Arizona and Arizona State

“I don’t know much about Colorado but I’m trying to find out about them.” Uko said, “I heard they have Coach Hawkins over there and I know they are coming up program. Colorado is pretty cold but the weather doesn’t matter to me, I’ll probably take a visit out there maybe.”

Family Ties In Arizona

“I have family that lives in Arizona. My grandmother and grandfather are from Arizona. My uncle Ted played on Arizona’s football team. All my aunts and one of my grandma’s went to Arizona State.” Uko said

I’ll probably take a (unofficial) trip to Arizona because they are pretty close to me and Arizona State,” Uko said, “One of my friends Andre Pickins plays at Arizona State and he likes it a lot.”

Like Cool Weather

“I like the cool weather at Oregon it’s not a factor in my decision or anything like that and I like how they are crazy about football like Nebraska is.” Uko said

“I heard Oregon is really nice out there and everything. Coach Osborne is really nice he has been recruiting me for a while.” Uko added

Best Defensive Coordinator Ever Walked

“I’ll probably take a visit out there (Tennessee).” Uko said, “I like the coaching staff a lot. I like how they brought Monte Kiffin in he’s one of the best defensive coordinators that’s ever walked. I liked how Albert Haynesworth played at Tennessee and how he did in the NFL and they could do something like that with me.”

Husker’s First To Offer

“Nebraska was my very first offer,” Uko said, “It happened even before my junior season. They (verbal) offered me like during spring (2008). I went to school one day and one of my friends told me how he was in the football office and told me I had an offer from Nebraska. I was surprised to get an offer from them. They (Nebraska) never really contacted me and I really didn’t really know anything. I was really happy about it (offer) I told my parents and my mom took me out to dinner and stuff.”

“Nebraska’s offer means a lot because they were the first people to offer and to notice me before anyone else did. Nebraska knew about me from the start. They knew I was something big and took their chances on me and no else wanted to follow. I didn’t get another offer until after the football season.” Uko said

“Nebraska coaches like me a lot. I’m one of their top players up here. I like how much they win, Nebraska has something like five national championships, I like that a lot.” Uko said

Football Crazy

“I like Nebraska’s tradition where everyone is football. I hear they are football crazy. The coaches tell me all everyone cares about is football.” Uko added

USC To Offer Soon

“I’ll probably go to USC’s spring game,” says Uko, “USC will probably offer me when I go to their camp. They didn’t indicate it (offer) but I’m pretty sure they will, USC said they want to see me play live and they want to see me at the camp.”

“USC is recruiting me hard now,” Uko said, “They weren’t at first but now they are looking at film and they are on me pretty hard, like I’m one of their top recruits, and one of the top defensive lineman in the state.”

“I saw a USC practice a couple days ago and I liked how they run their practices and everything. I like how Pete Carroll is fired up and how he is with the players.” Uko said

Looking At Other Teams

“I’m sending films out to LSU and Oklahoma. LSU seems like they will offer, probably both of them. I will probably visit them if I get offers. I just talked to LSU and they asked me my interest level and stuff. They didn’t want to offer someone this far away just to get an offer and not thinking about going there. Some kids want to get offers just to say they got one.” Uko said

Conditioning

“I try to work out every day,” says Uko, “It’s a lot of fun me and my friend use this SPARQ parachute. We only have one parachute but we are going to move it up to two or three. When you use the parachute a few times you can feel the difference with the weight pulling back adds resistance, helps you gain speed. We run 40’s with it about seven times.”

“I’m trying to get on the field soon as I can. Arizona said I probably can come in and start. Most PAC 10 schools say I could come in and play early. At Tennessee I haven’t really asked them about it. USC I think I will have to sit out a year but use they need a three technique tackle.” “I also want to go where the players are like my personality and I probably will fit in with the coaches.” Uko added

Decision Time

“I’m going to take all my trips and everything, sit down with my parents and see what they think. I will make a decision from that and commit on signing date.” Uko said

More on Uko:

http://blogs.whittierdailynews.com/tribpreps/

So you have had enough of the Scouting Guru? How about getting JC Shurbutt of ESPN's take on Saturday's Scouting Combine at USC. Upland quarterback Josh Nunez was mentioned on his list of top offensive returning players. On his top list of defensive players, he singled out Don Lugo lineman George Uko.

Uko is a pretty interesting player. As you watch him you never really know what you will see or get from play-to-play. In one instance you will see him beat everyone off the ball and crash the backfield. In another you will see him make a nice quick move and blow by a blocker. On another you can see him get tall and absorb a block yet on the next you will see him just dominate the man in front of him but possibly not notice the ball carrier go right by him. All that being said the kid shows some flashes, but needs to find some consistency. He has solid size and looks on film to have the frame to add more good bulk. More at http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...cruitId%3d70009

• 2 weeks later...

<_<

Bears offer Uko

Friday, May 22, 2009

Posted by Greg Biggins

With the recent news that defensive tackle Cassius Marsh (Westlake Village, Calif./ Oaks Christian) was backing off his commitment to Cal, the Bears didn't waste much time in offering another talented tackle from the Golden State.

George Uko (Chino, Calif./ Don Lugo) has offers from all over the country and picked up his first in-state offer from the Bears earlier in the week.

"I have a lot of interest in Cal," Uko said. "Tosh Lupoi is recruiting me and I like him a lot. I haven't set up what schools I'll visit in the summer other than Oregon in mid June, but Cal is one school I'm interested in checking out."

Uko said he's also finalizing his summer camp plans and knows he'll camp at USC for the Rising Stars Camp for starters.

"USC is recruiting me very hard right now," Uko said. "They said if I go and do well there, they'll offer me and that's what I'm planning to do. I know they're going to have a lot of talent so it should be a great camp.

"I'm not sure if I'll camp at UCLA because they're not recruiting me that hard right now. I might try and go late because I take the SAT that day and they're still one of my top schools despite not having an offer from them. I kept thinking they would be one of my first offers, but they want to see me in camp so I'll see if I can get out there for that."

• 2 weeks later...