LB/DE Corey Nelson

Ohio Pete

Player: Corey Nelson

Hometown: Dallas, TX (Skyline)

Position: LB/DE

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 200 lbs

40 time: 4.58

Scholarships offered: Auburn, Baylor, Colorado, Florida, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech

Verbal: TAMU

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star :star :star :star 6.0 #24/100

Scout: :star :star :star :star #4 OLB

ESPN: ESPN150 Watch List

Assessing the talent: #1 LB from Texas for 2010, Class 5A first team all-state. Scout's "Take":

Speed: Corey Nelson moves and runs like a safety. He is a very natural runner. From a linebacking stand point, when the ball is snapped, Nelson goes and when he goes, he gets to where he is going in a hurry. Nelson plays at a very fast pace with high intensity and aggression.

Lateral Range/Movement: He is very hard to block in open space as he blows by frumpy un-athletic offensive linemen trying to pull or cut off block at the second level. More.

ESPN's view:

Nelson may be a bit raw and inexperienced in linebacker play but after watching film on this guy it's hard not to see a special linebacker prospect. Range, speed, closing burst and explosion at the point of attack are all excellent, the fundamentals will come. Lacks ideal height but is long, rangy and his well-built body looks to still have a lot of physical development left. Gets a quick read on the ball and flashes great reactive athleticism. Changes direction without wasted motion and beats blockers to the point of attack with his fast-twitched athleticism and first-step quickness. Takes sharp, direct angles and flashes great acceleration supporting the outside run. Difficult to outflank to the frontside. His striking velocity closing in space allows him to deliver the pop on contact of a much bigger defender. very strong tackler. Potentially a great blitzer with his first step quickness, closing speed and experience as a pass rushing end. More

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 5%, lots of big time offers

626618.jpg

Dallas Morning News All-Area First Team:

Corey Nelson, Skyline, Jr.

Position: Linebacker

Height, weight: 6-2, 215

About Nelson: An adept pass rusher as well an in-the-box run-stuffer, Nelson produced huge numbers in 2008. He piled up 156 tackles, 12 sacks and 19 tackles for losses. He also blocked four punts.

Did you know? A top student, Nelson participates in the SMU's Upward Bound college prep program.

Link has video
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Nelson exploring all his options

One of the top linebacker prospects in Texas, Corey Nelson (Dallas, Texas/ Skyline), said he has two unofficial visits in mind in the spring.

"Sometime in March or April I plan on going to Texas Tech and LSU to check out either a spring game or a spring practice," he said.

Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Stanford and Oklahoma State, among others, also have offered Nelson.

LSU has signed six ESPNU150 prospects from Texas during the past three recruiting cycles, thanks to wide receivers coach D.J. McCarthy and assistant head coach/running backs Larry Porter, who are ace recruiters. Porter is recruiting Nelson for the Tigers.

Just because Nelson has trips to Lubbock and Baton Rouge set, does not mean that those schools are out in front.

"I am still interested in all of the colleges that have offered me," Nelson said. "I am just enjoying the college recruiting process."

Nelson added that there are several factors he will consider when picking a college.

"I will be looking at the academics, the atmosphere and the coaching staff," he said. "I also want to look at the players to see if I fit in and to see if they are people that I can bond with."

Nelson has accepted an invite to the 2010 Under Armour All-American game.

He's looking pretty good:

LB Nelson among stands out in Dallas

IRVING, Texas -- Despite blustery conditions, many of the top prospects in the state of Texas showed up at the Dallas Cowboys' training facility to compete at the Dallas Under Armour Combine.

Linebacker Corey Nelson (Dallas/Skyline) was the top overall prospect in attendance. The 6-foot, 210-pounder had a great day of testing, including a 4.31 second shuttle time and 17 reps of 185 pounds on the bench press max.

"Things went great out here for me today," Nelson said. "I had fun. I met a lot of competitive people and I learned a lot. The drills were awesome. The coaches described it well to us and going full speed every time I was on the field was great."

Nelson, who has accepted a spot in the 2010 Under Armour All-American Game, also looked good in the position drills and during one-on-one work. During the one-on-one portion of the event, Nelson had no trouble covering receivers and running backs that he faced.

"I felt like I did really well," Nelson said. "I am very confident in myself. But I always feel like I can do better. I am never satisfied."

Nelson had more than 75 tackles this past season for Skyline.

Multiple programs are in pursuit of Nelson, including Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, Oklahoma, Oregon, Nebraska, Texas Tech and others. He plans to take unofficial visits to Lubbock and Baton Rouge this spring.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Under Armour All-American Corey Nelson talks offers

Outside linebacker Corey Nelson told ESPN affiliate Web site OUInsider.com, "Some of the main schools that have offered me are Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, LSU, Miami, UCLA, and Oregon. Florida said they were also looking at me. Texas A&M and Nebraska also offered me, and the list goes on-and-on."

Nelson then shared what he's looking for, "First I have to be able to feel a school and have a comfortable relationship with the school itself. Secondly I have to look at the academics, because education is real important. I will be looking at the coaching and I will ask is the coaching who I want to play for, is it worth it?"

"Another thing will be the players, I have to be able to feel the players, and I have to have somebody that I can look up to once I get to college like a senor for example. Then the atmosphere, as I have to feel the atmosphere. I have to love it and can't get enough of it, and also competition because I can't get enough competition."

Last season, Nelson recorded 94 tackles, 11 tackles for loss and seven sacks, earning Class 5A first team all-state recognition.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...