NU to the Big 1O?

Never EVER EVER happen that Nebraska or Missouri would go to the Big 10. As far as ISU going...they have nothing to offer at this point to the Big 10, Northwest Missouri State would have a better shot at getting into the Big 12 than ISU would have getting into the Big 10.

If at some point all conferences are required to have title games, then it would make sense for the big 10 to add another team. It would make sense for them to look closer (Western Michigan or ball state). If they watned a team with more power they would probably look for Missouri, first. That would be a great move for Missouri, IMO. They would bring their style of offense to the big 1011 and do very well right away. They wouldn't compete with many other teams in the big 10 for recruiting grounds that they don't already, most of their competition comes from other big 12 teams.

This would be a great move for Missouri, in my opinion.

THEN...

Move Oklahoma to the North (I would think they would love not having to play texas teams every year). Then add Arkansas or TCU to replace OU in the south. Then we wouldn't have to go to Missouri anymore, either!!!!

Then we could get rid of Colorado to the PAC 10, move Okie State to the North and add Arkansas to the South. However, I would rather keep Colorado in the Big 12 for the tradition and because i love beating them. This conference is built on the tradition of the Big 8 and I, for one, want it to stay that way.

The upside woould be the NU-OU rivalry is revisited.

The HUGE downside: Nebraska would lose even more of its say in the conference, as the decision making would move farther south as we would have 5 texas teams and Arkansas. Nebraska would have to battle for recruits out of Texas much harder with TCU and Arkansas as they would focus attention (TCU already does) onto BIG12 grounds. It would be tougher for Nebraska by far to land top talent year in and year out as the talent would be more spreaad out amongst the southern teams. KSU, KU, ISU would become like non-conference games and it would be OU-NU every year for the North title. The South would remain about as competitive as TCU and Arkansas would increase in strength. but it is starting to look more and more like the old Southwest conference, with NU having less and less power in the conference all the time.

Soon the texas schools would begin insisting that away games with teams in the north still be played down in texas since they are that arrogant and don't care about anything not-texas. They have already moved offices and championship games down south and Nebraska would have to beat teams with more talent every year in order to stay relevant in discussions.

Didn't TO warn about being in a conference with Texas years ago? We should have listened then, but there weren't any other options outside of joining with them at the time.

....If only we had the recruiting grounds right here in state. We get 1-5 D1 players every year (if you like the stars)....

I don't want to see us every join the Big 10, and winning the north year in and year out will give us a larger say and benefit the entire conference in the long run. Parity can truly be overated in college football...If we don't have the last 4 years and MU and KU hadn't improved, we would not even have this debate. The fact that we have not dominated the North, as we should and soon will again, is why we are suddenly looking for a way out, an easy way to rise again. Lets win the North 7 of the next 10 years, with 2-4 of those as BIG 12 champs, and then see where we stand in the conference and how we can start to flex some muscle to shape things differently.

Take away the last 4 years where we didn't dominate and this conversation never happens.

regardless the insanity of this thread (i guess that what makes it so much fun :dumdum ), if anyone ever leaves the Big 12, first in line running for teh door would be Colorado for the Pac 10 if and when it decides to sack up and become a real conference by having a championship game.

they considered it 13 years ago, however now it seems like adding Utah and BYU would be more of a natural fit in terms of geography. In addition, that would also keep the in-state rivalry thing they've got going on amongst the conference (Arizona-ASU, UCLA-USC, Oregon-Oregon St., etc.). Wouldn't Utah want to bolt after this season as it is?

Now, if the Pac-10 or Big 10 ever added teams, they would be forcing a conference championship game. Because of the Rose Bowl, neither conference would develop such a game without the other doing so. Thus coming back to the question as to who would the Big 10 add? Notre Dame will never affiliate with a conference, so long as it get millions from NBC. Missouri brings population, recruitng geography and money. And they are seriously disadvantaged when compared to the Texas schools in the Bg 12.

here's a few links:

link

link

link

actually notre dame is a member of the big east for everything but football (they are independent) so the big east would make sense for them if they were to ever join a conference.

i think it would be a great move for us especially if they split it up between east and west. texas was and is a horrible selection for the big 12 and they basically run the whole conference, ie. when is the next time the championship game going to be in the north? ponder that and then think about the big 10. i love the idea. :horns2