Next seasons starting linebackers

Best players will play, period. Being a senior means jack, especially to Bo. If a guy like Dillard goes out and gets outplayed by Will Compton, you can bet your rear end that Compton will be starting.

This is nowhere near like BC where he catered to older players.

Even guys like Asante and Thenarse will have to bust their rear end not to lose their job. Guys like Cortney Osborne and PJ Smith could steal PT from them.

Any idea how much (if any) playing time the non starters will get?

That seemed to be the biggest flaw in Bo/Carl's scheme last season...Hopefully it was just a matter of lack of depth, but somewhere...you need to develop your depth.

Lack of depth was the problem last year. Even playing Koehler was a bit much, but it shows how little talent we had. We even played nickel (or 4-2-5) a ton last year due to lack of LBs towards the end last year.

We could either waste the RS of one of the freshmen for a few games or manage. We chose to manage and made it work.

Next year it won't be a problem at all about rotating players. Except maybe at DT according to how Moore, Crick and QT progress.

hopefully that is where Bo and Co what to get back two, having at least a solid 2 deep rotation, to me starting is a title that does not hold much anymore, the best players should be on the field at all times, having a back up just as good or not better is nothing to be ashamed of, it only makes you and everyone else better! Having a 4-5 rotation at LB or anywhere on D for that matter would be a monster! :woo

It seems that worrying about taking a guy out of his red shirt year, should be a thing of the past. Most young players now are not going to stay 4 yrs, if they have a chance to go pro after their junior year. If a kid is ready and can come in and do the job, even if only to give the starter a break, than he should. It looks like Bo's going to have the depth, in the next year or two, to start playing some true freshmen, as needed. Get the best players out there, and stop worrying about saving them. It would have to look good to a young kid being recruited, knowing he might just be able to step into a starting spot or backup, in his freshmen year.

IMHO

GBR!!!

It seems that worrying about taking a guy out of his red shirt year, should be a thing of the past. Most young players now are not going to stay 4 yrs, if they have a chance to go pro after their junior year. If a kid is ready and can come in and do the job, even if only to give the starter a break, than he should. It looks like Bo's going to have the depth, in the next year or two, to start playing some true freshmen, as needed. Get the best players out there, and stop worrying about saving them. It would have to look good to a young kid being recruited, knowing he might just be able to step into a starting spot or backup, in his freshmen year.

IMHO

GBR!!!

It doesnt matter if a player leaves after his JR year, redshirting gives a player a full year to get better without taking away a year of eligibility.

I think redshirting is ALWAYS a great idea. A full year to study the playbook and go through strength and conditioning. Redshirting does nothing but make the athlete a better athlete.

I don't care who plays, just as long as they are the best one's for the job. Bo has done that so far so I have faith. :thumbs

:yeah

I cannot stand when people think they are entitled....just because Dillard is a senior does mean he deserves the right to start. Play the better players.......

Now, if Dillard proves that he can be a starter and contribute at a high level, than start him.

Earn it or sit down period. No more Callanomind. He played kids because their heads were up his arse. very few were due to "earning it" or being passionate about it. (Obviously) Besides they looked like they couldn't get their heads out during game time and poss sufferd from a little methane poisining.

:clap:clap:clap:clap

Play the best and I think Bo and Co. will.

http://1620thezone.com/pages/727732.php

listen to segment 11 jan 12th

Excellent!! Thank you!

Two things surprised me in the interview. One, was that he felt Suh's presence on the field next year could equal two or three more wins. I don't disagree, but man, that's some pretty high praise for a D lineman. Benning went on to say he could be one of the best we've ever had, EVER! It also sorta surprised me he didn't mention Holt much (Matt). I mean this is the guy that stepped it up to replace Glenn by starting as a walk-on true freshman against TTech, and wound up being named D player of the week.

IMHO

GBR!!!

It doesnt matter if a player leaves after his JR year, redshirting gives a player a full year to get better without taking away a year of eligibility.

I think redshirting is ALWAYS a great idea. A full year to study the playbook and go through strength and conditioning. Redshirting does nothing but make the athlete a better athlete.

Redshirting has nothing to do about becoming a better athlete. If your blessed then your an athlete, and how much you are blessed determines what kind of athlete you are. If I could become a better athlete by practicing more, doing S&C, studying the playbook, then I'd be in the NFL. Athleticism isn't learned, it's a blessing. Some have it, some don't have as much. Now, I will agree redshirting helps a young kid build muscle and get a better handle on the playbook and get used to the speed of college football.

IMHO

GBR!!!

Redshirting has nothing to do about becoming a better athlete. If your blessed then your an athlete, and how much you are blessed determines what kind of athlete you are. If I could become a better athlete by practicing more, doing S&C, studying the playbook, then I'd be in the NFL. Athleticism isn't learned, it's a blessing. Some have it, some don't have as much. Now, I will agree redshirting helps a young kid build muscle and get a better handle on the playbook and get used to the speed of college football.

I agree with everyone, but also the term student athlete, and how incoming athletes are going to adjust to their new lifestyle also

IMHO

GBR!!!

Redshirting isn't about creating better athletes, it's about creating better college football players. And it works.

IMHO

GBR!!!

Redshirting isn't about creating better athletes, it's about creating better college football players. And it works.

I think that pretty well sums it up. :thumbs

ive often thought what-ifs about me, or any other "late-bloomer," "early-starter," etc., if you will, would have had a "red-shirt" in high school football. or wrestling, or whatever. the man, well, okay, bigger boy ;) i was at 18 compared to seventeen and a senior is not even close. then having gone into the military, and seeing the varying maturity of 18 year olds from all around the country, (and wondering how some were even able to tie their shoes) some people just arent all there yet, physically and mentally.

you cant tell me a college redshirt doesnt have the same effect on the overall development. screw the athletic part of it if you want, that year of getting your behind handed to you (and possibly start doing the handing) just in practice is invaluable for a players mental development. put a man on the field, not a kid.

IMHO

GBR!!!

You take a kid out to play 3-4 games and you are cheating a kid out of a year of development. Not only that you are gonna have a really PO'd kid that feels like he has been jerked around. Kinda happened with Dennard. He wasted a RS year for what? Some KO coverage and a few returns?

Most kids aren't leaving after their junior year anyways, so why worry? Brandan Jackson was the first kid we have had in how long that left a year earlier? Fabian being the other?

We only had a couple kids who were physically ready to play anyways. Baker, but he was sick, lost weight and had no chance. Cotton, but we had 4 TEs already here. Same for Reed. Compton, but he had a bum shoulder he needed surgery on. Dennard, who played.

Otherwise, every single kid benefited from a year of learning. Guys like PJ Smith, Cortney Osborne, Tim Marlowe, Alonzo Whaley and others have evolved a ton. It's like night and day with a few of them. Smith, Whaley and Marlowe especially.

BS. You don't roll over running a 4.4 or 4.5 with 35 inch vertical. The way you are putting it that a gifted athlete just shows up and is athletic. That is far, far, far from the case. Every single one of these guys have to absolutely bust their rear end so they could get to the point they are and stay at the point they are.

One year in a major S&C program from a HS gym could absolutely transform any athlete.

Take a look at Daniel Bullocks. When he came to Lincoln he was running near a 4.8 and was thin as a rail. By the time he leaves he is over 200lbs and running sub-4.4's.

Or a guy like Brandon Rigoni. Tiny guy in HS and was average speed at best in HS. By the time he left that guy was built like a tank and one of the fastest kids on our team.

Anyone, and I mean anyone can become a better athlete. It's just how much you are willing to work to get there.

If you don't know what a college S&C program can do for you physically and athletically, then I don't know what to say.

IMHO

GBR!!!

You take a kid out to play 3-4 games and you are cheating a kid out of a year of development. Not only that you are gonna have a really PO'd kid that feels like he has been jerked around. Kinda happened with Dennard. He wasted a RS year for what? Some KO coverage and a few returns?

Most kids aren't leaving after their junior year anyways, so why worry? Brandan Jackson was the first kid we have had in how long that left a year earlier? Fabian being the other?

We only had a couple kids who were physically ready to play anyways. Baker, but he was sick, lost weight and had no chance. Cotton, but we had 4 TEs already here. Same for Reed. Compton, but he had a bum shoulder he needed surgery on. Dennard, who played.

Otherwise, every single kid benefited from a year of learning. Guys like PJ Smith, Cortney Osborne, Tim Marlowe, Alonzo Whaley and others have evolved a ton. It's like night and day with a few of them. Smith, Whaley and Marlowe especially.

BS. You don't roll over running a 4.4 or 4.5 with 35 inch vertical. The way you are putting it that a gifted athlete just shows up and is athletic. That is far, far, far from the case. Every single one of these guys have to absolutely bust their rear end so they could get to the point they are and stay at the point they are.

One year in a major S&C program from a HS gym could absolutely transform any athlete.

Take a look at Daniel Bullocks. When he came to Lincoln he was running near a 4.8 and was thin as a rail. By the time he leaves he is over 200lbs and running sub-4.4's.

Or a guy like Brandon Rigoni. Tiny guy in HS and was average speed at best in HS. By the time he left that guy was built like a tank and one of the fastest kids on our team.

Anyone, and I mean anyone can become a better athlete. It's just how much you are willing to work to get there.

If you don't know what a college S&C program can do for you physically and athletically, then I don't know what to say.

I never said redshirting couldn't make you better, I said people have the athleticism they have and it can't go up or go down. Bullock had the ability, he just found out how to use it by good coaching and S&C. Don't tell me he all of a sudden got in line again and God handed him some more athleticism. That's BS!! He had it, and just needed to learn how to use it. You are not understanding the point. Not everyone is blessed with as much athleticism as others. You could take another guy who ran a 4.8 and by the end of it all, he may only be running a 4.75. Why?? Because he only had so much athletic potential. I didn't say redshirting was bad, I just said athletic ability is not something you can get more of or buy. Yes, hard work can help and athlete reach their athletic peak. You basically made my point for me.

I never said redshirting couldn't make you better, I said people have the athleticism they have and it can't go up or go down. Bullock had the ability, he just found out how to use it by good coaching and S&C. Don't tell me he all of a sudden got in line again and God handed him some more athleticism. That's BS!! He had it, and just needed to learn how to use it. You are not understanding the point. Not everyone is blessed with as much athleticism as others. You could take another guy who ran a 4.8 and by the end of it all, he may only be running a 4.75. Why?? Because he only had so much athletic potential. I didn't say redshirting was bad, I just said athletic ability is not something you can get more of or buy. Yes, hard work can help and athlete reach their athletic peak. You basically made my point for me.

You are missing the point. Kids come out of HS having very little real athletic training. Thus why their body is not developed, their max speed not reached, fundamentals not taught. Heck, most people are not even done growing until you are 21-22 anyways.

You are saying they don't need the redshirt to become better athletes and that is complete horse poopie. You can not reach your athletic potential without working to get there.

You cannot say ...

"Redshirting has nothing to do about becoming a better athlete"

... because it just isn't true. If you have not tapped into your speed, are you a better athlete? If you have not tapped into your strength, are you a better athlete? If you have not tapped into your quickness, are you a better athlete? If you have not tapped into your fundamentals, are you a better athlete? If you have not tapped into your intelligence, are you a better athlete? All these things are developed with that extra year to learn which makes you a better athlete.

Redshirting has EVERYTHING to do with making yourself that much better in every aspect of physical development, mental development and fundamental development.

Your point is basically short sighted in development and that is where you are wrong.

You are right in the sense people are better athletes than others, but that has NOTHING to do with the development of your athletic ability. That redshirt year is there to develop that athletic ability and that is why it is that important.

Everyone is athletic, it's just a matter of how much you are willing to work to get to that higher plateau like others.

It's like a little 5'8 workout warrior can dunk a basketball while his out of shape 6'6 friend cannot. If the out of shape friend got in the weight room, actually tried a few box squats and thrusts he would be dunking in no time. It's there, you just have to work for it.