Ohio Pete

Player: Markeith Ambles

Hometown: McDonough (GA) Henry County

Position: WR

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 185 lbs.

40 time: 4.5

Visit Date: TBD

Scholarships offered: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, California, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, USC, West Virginia

Committed to Tennessee Considering USC

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: NR Rivals250 To Watch

Scout: :star :star :star :star

ESPN: NR ESPN150 Watch List

Assessing the talent: (Scout) Emerging as one of the premier WRs in the state of GA. An excellent overall athlete, he stretches the field and creates mismatches, both on the perimeter and in the slot. Is long at 6'3 and will continue to grow into his fame. Runs sharp routes and doesn't round his cuts. Sticks his break points and explodes out of breaks as well as anybody. Catches the ball with his hands and demonstrates exceptional concentration. [6'1" is NIKE camp measure from last March. We'll see if he's grown 2" this Spring.]

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 5%. Would take quite a bit to get him out of the SEC.

MARKEITHAMBLES7NA08200.JPG

Ambles gets offer he was waiting for

One of the top receivers in the class of 2010 will be Henry County (McDonough, Ga.) athlete Markeith Ambles. Ambles already holds over 20 scholarship offers and said he picked up the offer he was waiting for on Thursday night.

Ambles lit up the NIKE Camp in Alabama last spring and was equally impressive at the NIKE 7ON passing tournament in Oregon over the summer. He has good size and hands, excellent body control and is very polished.

Schools like Nebraska, Miami, Alabama, North Carolina, Tennessee, Auburn and Ole Miss are just a few schools who have offered and Ambles picked up another big one this week.

"USC just offered and I was really excited to get that one," Ambles said. "That's the one I've been waiting on to be honest because I've liked USC for a long time now. I talked with the offensive coordinator last night and I'm supposed to call Pete Carroll later tonight as well.

"I'm going to camp with SC in the summer and I plan to spend a whole week out there to see what it's like. I'm friends with Kenneth Scott (Colony HS) and I'm going to stay with him while I'm out there and I'm excited to check out the SoCal lifestyle."

Ambles said he plans to attend several summer camps but doesn't have any set plans with other schools at the moment.

"I'm not sure if I want to pick schools that haven't offered me yet or pick the schools that are showing me a lot of attention right now," Ambles said. "I kind of want the schools that haven't offered to see me in person so they'll offer but when I think about it, I have offers from just about everybody I like so it's not a big deal."

Ironically, two schools that haven't offered Ambles are the two in-state schools, Georgia and Georgia Tech.

"I'm not sure what's up with them," Ambles said. "I'm not even worrying about it though. I'm not going to camp there, they have seen me enough and know what I can do.

"Right now, I'm wide open. Even with USC, I like them a lot but they're not my leader or anything. Everyone is even and I plan to take all five visits, have my fun and then make my decision. This is a once in a lifetime experience so why not have fun with it."

OK so maybe it will be easy to get him out of Georgia... for USC

Ironically, two schools that haven't offered Ambles are the two in-state schools, Georgia and Georgia Tech.

I wonder why the in-state schools haven't offered?

Just got a bit of interesting information from a co-worker who is a big UGA fan. Apparantly ever since the Jim Harrick basketball scandal, UGA is really strict on who they allow teams to offer scholarships to. The coaches have to show the administration the files they have on the kids they are looking at to get approval to offer. The thinking on Markeith within UGA fan circles is that their is something character wise scaring the school away. Not sure what it takes to make the administration put the kabosh on offering a kid.

I wonder why the in-state schools haven't offered?

Just got a bit of interesting information from a co-worker who is a big UGA fan. Apparantly ever since the Jim Harrick basketball scandal, UGA is really strict on who they allow teams to offer scholarships to. The coaches have to show the administration the files they have on the kids they are looking at to get approval to offer. The thinking on Markeith within UGA fan circles is that their is something character wise scaring the school away. Not sure what it takes to make the administration put the kabosh on offering a kid.

:dunno

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

this article on espn....

Ambles' coach surprised by rumors

If USC is dropping Under Armour All-American WR Markeith Ambles (McDonough, Ga./Henry County), as its been rumored, then it's news to his high school coach.

Henry County coach Mike Rozier said that Trojans assistant Todd McNair was in his school for two hours last Friday checking up on Ambles.

"(McNair) was here, he had lunch and we had a nice visit," Rozier said. "He seemed like he wanted him. They can only come twice and they've been here twice so far. I don't know where these rumors are coming from."

Rozier added that Southern California head coach Pete Carroll had made his one allotted phone call to Ambles.

The talented receiver also confirmed his unofficial visit to USC in early June (a trip that also is supposed to include stops at UCLA and Cal) and a return trip to the Trojans' Rising Stars Camp on June 24-25 are still on.

"He's still going to the camp and I am supposed to go out there and work the camp," Rozier said.

There were also rumors about Georgia pulling off of Ambles. The Bulldogs have never officially offered him, according to Rozier. Ambles has stated multiple times that he is likely heading out of state.

this article on espn....

If USC is dropping Under Armour All-American WR Markeith Ambles (McDonough, Ga./Henry County), as its been rumored, then it's news to his high school coach.

Henry County coach Mike Rozier said that Trojans assistant Todd McNair was in his school for two hours last Friday checking up on Ambles.

"(McNair) was here, he had lunch and we had a nice visit," Rozier said. "He seemed like he wanted him. They can only come twice and they've been here twice so far. I don't know where these rumors are coming from."

Rozier added that Southern California head coach Pete Carroll had made his one allotted phone call to Ambles.

The talented receiver also confirmed his unofficial visit to USC in early June (a trip that also is supposed to include stops at UCLA and Cal) and a return trip to the Trojans' Rising Stars Camp on June 24-25 are still on.

"He's still going to the camp and I am supposed to go out there and work the camp," Rozier said.

There were also rumors about Georgia pulling off of Ambles. The Bulldogs have never officially offered him, according to Rozier. Ambles has stated multiple times that he is likely heading out of state.

From the sound of this Georgia didn't offer in an effort to save face on a kid they weren't getting anyway.

this article on espn....

Oh, now I see where you got it. Its like last year, where Chris Williams coach was named Steve Warren, but he was not the Steve Warren who played for NU.

this article on espn....

From the sound of this Georgia didn't offer in an effort to save face on a kid they weren't getting anyway.

Well this is an interesting case. As I mentioned above, the UGA fans seem to think that his character is the reason he wasn't offered. They claim UGA has been ultra conservative since the whole Jim Harrick scandal, the school administration supposedly has to sign off on all players the coaches want to offer scholarships to. However after reading this tidbit, I tend to agree with you on this, it is a face saving ploy.