WR Markeith Ambles

Ohio Pete

One of the top receiver prospects in the Southeast is considering stepping away from a commitment to Tennessee, and Alabama is one of the schools hoping to lure him away from Knoxville.

Markeith Ambles (6-2, 182), the seventh-rated receiver prospect in the country according to Rivals.com, visited North Carolina last weekend and met with coaches from two SEC schools on Monday -- Alabama and LSU.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban and defensive coordinator Kirby Smart visited Ambles at his McDonough, Ga., home on Monday night, BamaOnLine.com reported. Also visiting Ambles on Monday was LSU assistant Billy Gonzales.

"It was a good visit," Ambles told BamaOnLine. "They told me about the program and how they play the best they have no matter what year they are or how experienced they may be. I am pretty familiar with Alabama anyway, so it wasn't anything real new, but I have always liked coach Saban. They are still in it."

Ambles, who turned in an impressive performance at the U.S. Army All-American Game earlier this month, has said he is undecided about his commitment to Tennessee since Lane Kiffin left for USC.

The receiver planned to meet with Tennessee's new coaching staff this week. In addition to Tennessee, LSU, Alabama and North Carolina, USC is also in the mix for Ambles' signature.

Several football recruits attended the USC/Washington basketball game Saturday, including wide receiver Markeith Ambles of McDonough, Ga. Former coach Pete Carroll dropped Ambles as a recruit for unspecified reasons before he committed to Tennessee. Ambles is now expected to attend USC. ... New USC football coach Lane Kiffin and defensive line coach Ed Orgeron also attended the game.

Markeith Ambles spent much of Sunday night stuck in a Nashville airport trying to make his way home from an official visit to Southern Cal. There were numerous flight delays in Atlanta due to storms. So there has been no direct word from Ambles about the trip. But his father, Keith Ambles, spoke to USC.Scout.com. “Markeith had a very good visit,” Mr. Ambles said. “USC is a school Markeith really liked early on but USC stopped calling him for some reason. But that really doesn’t matter now, he has an opportunity to go there if he chooses.” Of course, the Trojans’ interest in Ambles was rekindled when Lane Kiffin got there. “Man, me and coach Kiff are real tight,” Ambles told ESPN West late last week. “He’s a big reason why I committed to UT. We’re very cool with each other and I’m excited for him to get his dream job. I know a lot of people have bashed him but this is his dream job and I don’t see how you can criticize that.”

LSU is making a push for former UT commitment Markeith Ambles. The Tigers' coaches visited with the receiver from Henry County High in McDonough, Ga., this week and are hoping to secure an official visit this weekend.

Speculation surrounding Ambles is that he'll end up signing with USC. Ambles became friends with USC enrollee Kyle Prater during the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio earlier this month.

However, Ambles also has strong ties to LSU. Former UT assistant Frank Wilson recruited the 6-3, 190-pound Ambles before leaving Knoxville for Baton Rouge.

Markeith Ambles finally made it to Tennessee on Saturday for his official visit. It wasn’t easy.

The highly rated receiver and former UT commitment from Henry County High School in McDonough, Ga., made it to Knoxville after spending the night in Charlotte, N.C., on Friday. He flew from Atlanta to Charlotte in hopes that he could catch a connecting flight to Knoxville amidst wintry weather that limited travel in the region.

Unsuccessful, Ambles flew back to Atlanta on Saturday, according to his father, Keith Ambles.

Keith Ambles said his son was then picked up on Saturday afternoon and driven to UT by members of UT’s football office.

Ambles wrote on his Twitter account Saturday night “ridin up to k-town wit coach t (Lance Thompson, linebackers) and (UT recruiting intern Steve) rubio . . .”

Earlier in the day, Markeith Ambles just wanted to get out of Charlotte.

“If I can, I’ll go,” the 6-foot-3, 185-pound receiver said of traveling to UT. “But if they’re saying they don’t have a flight to Knoxville and they have one to Atlanta, I’m going back home.”

Ambles has been to UT several times, but has never taken his official visit, which he’ll finally do this weekend.

• 9 months later...

Leaving USC

LOS ANGELES -- USC freshman receiver Markeith Ambles has been suspended from the team indefinitely as a result of multiple late arrivals to team functions, two team sources confirmed Tuesday night.

USC spokesman Tim Tessalone referred requests for comment to coach Lane Kiffin, who was in a meeting after practice and unavailable.

Ambles, who was not at practice Tuesday, did not immediately respond to an e-mail requesting comment Tuesday night.

Ambles, a native of suburban Atlanta, has played sparingly this season, with one catch for 3 yards in four games. Last month, Kiffin said he actually had intended to redshirt Ambles but was unable to because Ambles had played three plays in the season opener against Hawaii.

In August, Ambles spent one early-morning practice doing rollovers alongside fellow freshman Dillon Baxter -- a punishment Kiffin later attributed to "tardiness."

Ambles, the fourth-ranked receiver in the 2010 class by ESPNU, first committed to play for Kiffin when he was the coach at Tennessee last year but switched to USC when Kiffin left to become coach of the Trojans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5731977