Basketball: Practice facility ahead?

OWH

LINCOLN - By late fall 2010, the Nebraska men's and women's basketball teams might have their own practice facility.

NU Athletic Director Tom Osborne said in an interview that Chancellor Harvey Perlman has agreed for the need to get going on a new building next to the Devaney Center.

"We're totally committed to doing it," Osborne said, "unless the regents or somebody along the way doesn't give their approval."

Sources said likely locations are to the north or south of the indoor track, which is on the west end of the complex. NU is the only Big 12 school without a basketball practice facility built or under construction.

"We want to do this as fast as we can," Osborne said. "And 'fast' means probably in the next 18 months to two years."

Plans for the facility, Osborne said, also would include workout areas for the Nebraska wrestling and gymnastics teams.

The figure of $10 million has been discussed for the new facility. Regents at Michigan last month approved a 50,000-square-foot "player development center" for basketball at a cost of $23.2 million.

"That's pretty big," Osborne said.

Iowa State is scheduled to open its $8 million, 35,000-square-foot practice facility in September.

OWH

LINCOLN - By late fall 2010, the Nebraska men's and women's basketball teams might have their own practice facility.

NU Athletic Director Tom Osborne said in an interview that Chancellor Harvey Perlman has agreed for the need to get going on a new building next to the Devaney Center.

"We're totally committed to doing it," Osborne said, "unless the regents or somebody along the way doesn't give their approval."

Sources said likely locations are to the north or south of the indoor track, which is on the west end of the complex. NU is the only Big 12 school without a basketball practice facility built or under construction.

"We want to do this as fast as we can," Osborne said. "And 'fast' means probably in the next 18 months to two years."

Plans for the facility, Osborne said, also would include workout areas for the Nebraska wrestling and gymnastics teams.

The figure of $10 million has been discussed for the new facility. Regents at Michigan last month approved a 50,000-square-foot "player development center" for basketball at a cost of $23.2 million.

Iowa State is scheduled to open its $8 million, 35,000-square-foot practice facility in September.

Great. So while employees (like me) are being asked to look for ways to save money (and sweating our jobs), and there is an unofficial hiring freeze, and the state is expecting much lower tax receipts... the U wants to plunk down $10 million for a basketball practice facility. Great idea. I guess the Devaney center needs rest between games.

Now I want to know if this is just something that we are doing to say "we have a practice facility", or if this is going to be top-of-the-line stuff. Hearing that Michigan is going ahead with a 23m facility makes me thinkt his place will leave much to be desired in terms of facilities, which have always been a benchmark of our university.

OWH

Great. So while employees (like me) are being asked to look for ways to save money (and sweating our jobs), and there is an unofficial hiring freeze, and the state is expecting much lower tax receipts... the U wants to plunk down $10 million for a basketball practice facility. Great idea. I guess the Devaney center needs rest between games.

Did you bitch when MU built their new arena?

OWH

course not. didn't affect him $$ wise. typical.

OWH

Mizzou Arena opened 5 years ago. Times were different. In case you haven't heard, there's a little bit of a financial problem in the country and Nebraska. Here's a few recent headlines.

"Nebraska governor warns state must tighten belt"

"Governor: Nebraska Should Expect Tough Times"

"The State Department of Revenue released a report showing Nebraska tax revenue figures Monday.

The report was expected to reflect slower retail sales, but one analyst said more than that, it showed that effects from the national economic crisis finally reached Nebraska."

"Economy recession impacts University of Nebraska Foundation endowment"

"Jan. 23--Nebraska missed the first half of the national recession, but the "second act" will hit the state this year, costing about 10,000 jobs and slowing the state's income growth, a group of economists predicted Thursday."

So... while 10,000 Nebraskans lose their jobs, 10,000,000 dollars will build a "practice facility"

Why did the city and UNL decide not to push for the Haymarket arena?

This issue isn't about what sports team you or I root for. It's about common sense.

OWH

Mizzou Arena opened 5 years ago. Times were different. In case you haven't heard, there's a little bit of a financial problem in the country and Nebraska. Here's a few recent headlines.

"The State Department of Revenue released a report showing Nebraska tax revenue figures Monday.

The report was expected to reflect slower retail sales, but one analyst said more than that, it showed that effects from the national economic crisis finally reached Nebraska."

"Jan. 23--Nebraska missed the first half of the national recession, but the "second act" will hit the state this year, costing about 10,000 jobs and slowing the state's income growth, a group of economists predicted Thursday."

So... while 10,000 Nebraskans lose their jobs, 10,000,000 dollars will build a "practice facility"

This issue isn't about what sports team you or I root for. It's about common sense.

OWH

then maybe if you would take a step at the economic side you may realize something. spending money fuels the economy. it creates jobs and projects. that in turn creates revenue for those people involved, who in turn can spend that money which creates this entire cycle. so while you're busy dealing with "common sense" i am also dealing with my own "common sense." it's called economics, basic classes will teach you that. why is the government pissed that the banks aren't loaning out more money? because that was the point of the bailout. lend money, get people to spend it, fuel the economy. money has to be spent in order for us to get back to where we were. why did WWII pull us out of the great depression? because it created jobs and gave people a source of income. that is what i consider common sense.

OWH

then maybe if you would take a step at the economic side you may realize something. spending money fuels the economy. it creates jobs and projects. that in turn creates revenue for those people involved, who in turn can spend that money which creates this entire cycle. so while you're busy dealing with "common sense" i am also dealing with my own "common sense." it's called economics, basic classes will teach you that. why is the government pissed that the banks aren't loaning out more money? because that was the point of the bailout. lend money, get people to spend it, fuel the economy. money has to be spent in order for us to get back to where we were. why did WWII pull us out of the great depression? because it created jobs and gave people a source of income. that is what i consider common sense.

or you could think that if NU can pull in the big recruits because (partly) of a practice center. And leads NU to more TV time, winning more games, and making it to the tourney. That will probably bring in more revenue. Both in ticket sales and maybe some exterior funds (sponsors, TV?)

OWH

:yeah That is pretty much exactly the response I was looking for when I read the MUtiger pos. Although I see the concern which people should have, but not panic. There is no need for an economic panic in our state of NE. People just need to do what we are known for, and that is hard work and common sense. I to think that a practice facility would be a great idea that should have been done a long time ago. It will pay great dividends in the long run!! :thumbs