DE Ronald Powell

Player: Ronald Powell

Hometown: Moreno Valley, CA

Position: DE

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 230 lbs.

40 time: 4.52

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Arizona, Arizona State, Auburn, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, LSU, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon, San Diego State, Tennessee, UCLA, USC, Washington

Favorites: Florida, USC

COMMITTED TO FLORIDA

Rivals: :star:star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star:star

ESPN: Top 150 Watchlist

goes to the same high school as our boy Eric Martin...but this guy is getting looks from the big boys, which Eric wasn't

Florida just offered. definitely getting more attention than Martin

This one's going to be a tough one to steal

DL Powell thinking about the SEC

Standout defensive lineman Ronald Powell (Moreno Valley, Calif./ Rancho Verde) is getting his summer plans together and will be spending some time outside the West Coast.

Powell is one of the most dominant defensive players in the region and is getting looks at outside linebacker, defensive end and defensive tackle. At 6-foot-4 and 250 pounds, he has a college body and the frame to hold another 40-50 pounds, which would easily allow him to move inside if needed.

On the recruiting front, Powell has offers from just about every school out West and is drawing a lot of national interest as well.

"Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Auburn have all offered me from the SEC," Powell said. "I really love SEC football. The passion the fans have there and just how exciting the game atmosphere is really second to none.

"In every city, football is life or death. Everything is all about football and that's what I'm looking for. I have family in Alabama and Georgia and I'm planning to trip to both schools. I'm going to camp with Florida in the summer or will also camp with USC and Boise State."

The Trojans have been a long time favorite for Powell and the lineman has attended the Rising Stars Camp the last two years. He will attend the Nike camp at USC in April.

"That's a great camp," Powell said. "I love the competition and the coaches are great at USC. They were the first to offer me and I really like USC a lot. With Boise State, my coach is good friends' with one of their coaches so I think a few players on our team will be headed out for that one.

"Right now, I'm looking to take all my trips and I just want to find the best fit for me. I'm in no hurry to decide and distance will definitely not play a role. If I have to leave home, that's fine or if I find the best fit close to home, I'm open to everyone."

Need to get him to visit for a game.

per ESPN: Defensive end Ronald Powell (Moreno Valley, Calif./Rancho Verde) showed why many of the nation's top programs are in hot pursuit of his services after he was named the defensive line Most Valuable Player of Sunday's Los Angeles Nike Football Training Camp at the University of Southern California.

The 6-foot-4, 225-pounder said that he did not have a current favorite, but if he had to pick two schools right now that he was most interested in, it would be Florida and Southern California.

per Rivals: Ronald Powell boarded a plane in California a few days ago with the destination being Gainesville so he could work out in front of the coaches, see the campus and figure out whether he could play college football for the Gators. The Moreno Valley (Calif.) Rancho Verde five-star said he loved it.

per Rivals: Ronald Powell boarded a plane in California a few days ago with the destination being Gainesville so he could work out in front of the coaches, see the campus and figure out whether he could play college football for the Gators. The Moreno Valley (Calif.) Rancho Verde five-star said he loved it.

On the UF boards they are reporting he did the gator chomp quite a bit.

per Scout: USC was the first school to offer Ronald Powell and it took a while before he was offered by another elite D-1 program, but now he's one of the most sought after prospects in the country. Powell took an unofficial visit to Florida earlier this week and was extremely impressed with his experience in Gainesville. But now he's looking forward to USC's June 24-25 Rising Stars Camp.

a USC lock, eh?

Just because he camped there does not mean he's a USC lock. This is guy is beng recruited by almost every major D-I school

Rated Rivals.com 2nd ranked strongside DE.

either way, he doesn't make it here.

Two national powers on top for Powell

By Jesse McCormack/ThaRinger.Com

June 30th, 2009

Ronald Powell isn’t your average high school football player. With offers to

play college football at practically every major school in the country, it’s safe to say Powell is a wanted man. ThaRinger.com caught up with Powell to discuss the latest about Powell’s recruitment, and his game, and more.

Powell is about as dynamic of a football player you will ever see, and could

play three different positions at the next level.

“I can play anywhere really.” Said the 6’4, 225 pound Powell. “Schools are recruiting me at Defensive End, Linebacker, and Tight End but I don’t have a preference.”

Powell was the centerpiece on a successful Rancho Verde team that has sent other players to college before.

“We went undefeated but lost in the first round of playoffs. We have a young team and we’re shaping up to be the best.” Said the Moreno Valley native. “We’ve had players like Deshawn Grayson, he was in the class of 2008 and plays at UTEP now.”

Powell has a plethora of talent, but still knows he is far from a finished product.

“My athletic ability and me being able to play anywhere on the field is what I’m best at.” Said Powell, who has recently been clocked as low as 4.52 in the forty-yard dash. “But there’s always room for improvement, anywhere.”

As far as recruiting goes, Powell is pretty laid back, but admits there are two teams that are starting to separate themselves in his mind.

“I’ve visited USC, UCLA, Florida, and San Diego State but USC and Florida are starting to stick out.” Powell said. “At Florida, they’re always competing for a National Championship, I like the coaching staff they got, and the fact that it’s a college town. I really like that environment there. At USC, I mean it sells itself. It’s a great place to be, it’s always going to be a good school. The coaches are unbelievably good and they’re always competing for a championship also.”

Powell said he is done taking unofficial visits, but has some idea as to where he’s going to take his official visits.

“I plan on taking as many official visits as possible.” Powell explained. “I’m most definitely taking official visits to USC, Florida, and Tennessee.”

Link

This would be a nice prospect. I wonder if they're gonna up the ante on this kid now with the UF situation in the air at the moment?

Really don't think we're going to get him. If we're going to get a top-flight DE this class it'll be Owa or no-one.

:yeah

But Owa is Oregon's to lose.

Posted by Greg Biggins

Recruiting is always a fluid situation. What a player thinks one day can be dramatically different the next. That describes perfectly the recruitment of Ronald Powell (Moreno Valley, Calif./Rancho Verde) who was all set on Florida just a week ago and is now once again wrestling with what to do.

As we mentioned here last week, Powell has been a huge Florida lean for the last several months. USC was also under consideration but the standout rush end fell in love with the Gators after a pair of unofficial visits and has been trying to make a public announcement for the last two weeks.

The big news this past weekend was obviously Gator coach Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida and then deciding a day later that it would be a leave of absence rather than a resignation. The whole situation has clouded things greatly for Powell.

"He's pretty freaked out right now," RV coach Pete Duffy said. "He has been set on Florida for so long and now with the news over the weekend, he's ready to re-open his recruitment. He loved Florida for a lot of reasons but playing for Coach Meyer was probably at the top of the list.

"He's now talking about USC a lot and wanting to take a visit to Miami. I talked to coach [brian] White at Florida, who I've know forever, and he assured me that coach Meyer will be there and I believe him. Ronald is thinking this could be about trying to save the recruiting class so he's really have some second thoughts.

"He wants to sit down and talk with Coach Meyer man to man and see what's up and I think that's a good idea. I don't think Coach Meyer is going to lie the kid and Ronald is a really smart kid and he would be able to see through that. I'm supposed to talk to Ronald later today and see where his head is at because there is still a chance he could announce this week but as of right now, he's planning to wait it out and take some visits before doing anything."

As I said, recruiting is fluid and after coach Duffy talks with Powell today, the situation could be different again but as of right now, the lineman plans to take some January visits before pulling the trigger.

Read more: http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showt...7#ixzz0b64SvqMJ

According to his High School coach, Powell looks to be a Gator!!

The on again, off again commitment status of Ronald Powell (Moreno Valley, Calif./Rancho Verde) appears back on and the standout defensive end will make his college choice this weekend during the Army All-American Bowl.

Powell's recruitment was smooth sailing for most of the year. He narrowed his choices to two early on, Florida and USC, and eventually the Gators began to pull away a few months ago. The rush end has been on the verge of making a commitment to the Gators for the last month until a decision by Gators coach Urban Meyer threw a wrench in his plans.

When Meyer announced he was resigning and then a day later, said he was taking a leave of absence, it caused much doubt for Powell. He planned to re-open his recruitment and take official visits to USC and possibly Miami as well before making a final decision.

"He's ready to do it," Rancho Verde coach Pete Duffy said. "We just talked yesterday and I think he's comfortable with the situation at Florida now. I know he had a chance to talk to some of the coaches and some of the other players going to Florida and I think he's now comfortable and ready to get this whole thing behind him and out of the way."

Read more: http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showt...3#ixzz0bwsNEYGg