DE Ronald Powell

per Rivals: Ronald Powell boarded a plane in California a few days ago with the destination being Gainesville so he could work out in front of the coaches, see the campus and figure out whether he could play college football for the Gators. The Moreno Valley (Calif.) Rancho Verde five-star said he loved it.

per Rivals: Ronald Powell boarded a plane in California a few days ago with the destination being Gainesville so he could work out in front of the coaches, see the campus and figure out whether he could play college football for the Gators. The Moreno Valley (Calif.) Rancho Verde five-star said he loved it.

On the UF boards they are reporting he did the gator chomp quite a bit.

per Scout: USC was the first school to offer Ronald Powell and it took a while before he was offered by another elite D-1 program, but now he's one of the most sought after prospects in the country. Powell took an unofficial visit to Florida earlier this week and was extremely impressed with his experience in Gainesville. But now he's looking forward to USC's June 24-25 Rising Stars Camp.

• 2 weeks later...

Two national powers on top for Powell

By Jesse McCormack/ThaRinger.Com

June 30th, 2009

Ronald Powell isn’t your average high school football player. With offers to

play college football at practically every major school in the country, it’s safe to say Powell is a wanted man. ThaRinger.com caught up with Powell to discuss the latest about Powell’s recruitment, and his game, and more.

Powell is about as dynamic of a football player you will ever see, and could

play three different positions at the next level.

“I can play anywhere really.” Said the 6’4, 225 pound Powell. “Schools are recruiting me at Defensive End, Linebacker, and Tight End but I don’t have a preference.”

Powell was the centerpiece on a successful Rancho Verde team that has sent other players to college before.

“We went undefeated but lost in the first round of playoffs. We have a young team and we’re shaping up to be the best.” Said the Moreno Valley native. “We’ve had players like Deshawn Grayson, he was in the class of 2008 and plays at UTEP now.”

Powell has a plethora of talent, but still knows he is far from a finished product.

“My athletic ability and me being able to play anywhere on the field is what I’m best at.” Said Powell, who has recently been clocked as low as 4.52 in the forty-yard dash. “But there’s always room for improvement, anywhere.”

As far as recruiting goes, Powell is pretty laid back, but admits there are two teams that are starting to separate themselves in his mind.

“I’ve visited USC, UCLA, Florida, and San Diego State but USC and Florida are starting to stick out.” Powell said. “At Florida, they’re always competing for a National Championship, I like the coaching staff they got, and the fact that it’s a college town. I really like that environment there. At USC, I mean it sells itself. It’s a great place to be, it’s always going to be a good school. The coaches are unbelievably good and they’re always competing for a championship also.”

Powell said he is done taking unofficial visits, but has some idea as to where he’s going to take his official visits.

“I plan on taking as many official visits as possible.” Powell explained. “I’m most definitely taking official visits to USC, Florida, and Tennessee.”

Link

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...