QB Tyler Gabbert

Said this trip helped solidify things.

Also said that the Watson rumors were addressed and that he will be back next year.

wow think abotu that for a second... if true he was unsure about coming to NU because he was unsure that Watson might not be around!!!!! wow was Watson really under that kind of pressure or is thing whole thing blown up real big out of proportion???

most likely it's just due to mizzou telling him watson will be gone. an effective recruiting strategy. heck, it's probably what they used to get blaine, too.

Combination of negative recruiting and fans who will not STFU every week about Watson. I really think people do not understand the ramifications their words can have. Recruits read message boards. Recruits watch TV. Recruits listen to the radio. Recruits also hear these crap rumors that "fans" will start. It can and will affect recruiting.

I understand that alot of fans want to discuss Watson's coaching abilities, but to make it a weekly bashing session is just silly. With recruits, this is the type of effect it can have for them to hear people talk. It also helps these schools who are more than happy to fan the flames.

So it's not ok to talk about Watson but your constant complaining about Cotton is? Apparently Cotton isn't recruiting anyone. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

So it's not ok to talk about Watson but your constant complaining about Cotton is? Apparently Cotton isn't recruiting anyone. <_<

Wish I would have seen this post sooner.

First off, Cotton is NOT gonna cost us any recruit. In fact, Cotton will cost us more recruits by being on this staff than he will if he leaves. Cotton is like the HS kid who is dorky and out of date with his slang, but still tries to be cool. Roll that up in a 50 year old man and you basically have Barney Cotton. Barney basically closes more doors than he opens on the recruiting trail. And I've said that since day 1 he was hired. FACT.

What people do not realize is that Watson changed his offense mid-season so we could compete. When people asked we stop passing, we did. Once we did, people continued to bitch that we needed to open it up. But yet when we do pass, we are prone to turnovers which puts our defense in a hole. Watson is basically in a no win situation no matter what he does.

Watson isn't some schmuck that doesn't realize what is going on. Nick Saban tried his hardest to get this guy on his staff. You can call Saban alot of things, but that guy is no idiot when it comes to coaching.

This season was a complete cluster fook from the jump. An offensive line not technically sound and banged up. WRs not ready. RBs hit with dismissals and injuries. And a QB with the confidence of a 13 year old fat chic.

Watson has earned his keep here. He has shown what he can do with his offenses and as a position coach. But in one year he went from offensive genius to the point he needs to be unemployed? Gimme a freakin' break.

But none of this matters in a Gabbert thread. You want to debate me on this, create another thread and I'll gladly go into this more.

--

Back to topic though -- anyone figure out what that smell was yet? HA

Gabbert's gone?

Here's to you Mr. Robinson, please answer the phone

Looks like the rumblings are that he is gone. I guess that smell was horse excrement wrapped in a dead fish, topped off with a layer of rotten eggs, being dropped on top of a dog-piss-covered angry skunk.

Welcome Sean. I hope the coaches have been preparing for this ever since Tyler showed signs of becoming Blaine 2.

Sorry Tyler. Would've rooted for you. Good luck in Mis...wherever you're going. On the bright side, it would be great to see a kid like Sean get his shot now. He deserves it. I can respect a young man's right to decide what's best for him, but way to string everyone along in a scholarship crunch year. What a disaster.

I'd be lying if I said I was surprised. I would imagine our FANTASTIC recruiting coordinator has several other kids lined up to take Gabberts place.

I don't know if Sean is still interested at this point.... I bet we try to pull Detchauz Wray in as an Athlete that starts out at QB. he may be undersized, but he is a gamer.

This season was a complete cluster fook from the jump. An offensive line not technically sound and banged up. WRs not ready. RBs hit with dismissals and injuries. And a QB with the confidence of a 13 year old fat chic.

Thanks, just about ruined my keyboard after I read that. :laughpound

Wish I would have seen this post sooner.

First off, Cotton is NOT gonna cost us any recruit. In fact, Cotton will cost us more recruits by being on this staff than he will if he leaves. Cotton is like the HS kid who is dorky and out of date with his slang, but still tries to be cool. Roll that up in a 50 year old man and you basically have Barney Cotton. Barney basically closes more doors than he opens on the recruiting trail. And I've said that since day 1 he was hired. FACT.

What people do not realize is that Watson changed his offense mid-season so we could compete. When people asked we stop passing, we did. Once we did, people continued to bitch that we needed to open it up. But yet when we do pass, we are prone to turnovers which puts our defense in a hole. Watson is basically in a no win situation no matter what he does.

Watson isn't some schmuck that doesn't realize what is going on. Nick Saban tried his hardest to get this guy on his staff. You can call Saban alot of things, but that guy is no idiot when it comes to coaching.

Watson has earned his keep here. He has shown what he can do with his offenses and as a position coach. But in one year he went from offensive genius to the point he needs to be unemployed? Gimme a freakin' break.

But none of this matters in a Gabbert thread. You want to debate me on this, create another thread and I'll gladly go into this more.

--

Back to topic though -- anyone figure out what that smell was yet? HA

Okay, so basically you are saying that Cotton is like every other kids father out there, dorky but means well. Yeah, kids dont want to come play for someone that like that. Your post is a mess! Every staff needs the "dorky everyman", they need the young guy, they need the bible thumper, they need the intense guy, they need the super serious guy, they need the "I have been there too" guy, you know why? Becuase they are recruiting ALL THOSE TYPES OF KIDS.

Secondly, can we please get over this "Saban wanted Watson so bad" garbage, no, Saban wanted an OC that he could TOTALLY CONTROL. He, like all of us have found out, knew that Watson would run anything he wanted told him to, just like he did at CU (GB pretty much called and ran the offense) and just like he did at NU, with the exception of one year, a year where he had a very good stable of RB's, TE's, Senior WR's and a Senior QB that improvised on 75% of the pass routes.

Saban is a control freak and wanted an OC that he could tell EXACLTY what he wanted done.

You want to debate it, sure, knock yourself out, start a thread. Hell, first do me a favor and pull up all of Watsons stats as an OC, see if you still want to start a thread. I am not saying Watson is bad, its just that he is wishy-washy.

I know Watson has shown a few signs of being OK but I still can't get past the fact that it seems like the stats are padded on teams we should hammer and we look inept against equal opponents.

I think we had ONE TD against top tier teams this year and that was a scintillating 1 yard TD drive against OU.

VTech-zilch

Texas-zilch

OU-once

One could throw in Mizzou at the time and that was a miracle more than anything.

I think we need someone that can generate sustained drives and control the ball a little. Last year was good but nobody can honestly say we have to wait for 5th year players to hold positions before we can expect results.

Watson may be OK, I just don't think he is the right fit here. That's not a bad or derogatory thing, it just...is.

The Gabbert issue that I have is that Watson really thought he had him locked up. Most of us Husker fans feel that since we have Andrew Green here that his brother is going to come here, it makes sense right? Well, doesnt it make sense that TG would want to go where his brother is at?

It is just tough to pull brothers away from each other, every single day the older brother can chat with the younger one and start to change his mind.

I don't fault TG at all, it is his choice and college is a tough choice for kids. I know it was for me. Some of us get on these kids way to much and then we get on the families too, with lines like "His parents should not let him decommitt". Well, think about that for a minute, if you were the kids mom/dad and he came to you and said "I think I made a bad choice, I think I want to go to a different school" would you really tell him no? I mean, its not like he even started school yet.

Now, I know there is always the "he gave his word" and I get that. Put it in your own life though, what if you accepted a job and a few weeks later a different company calls and offers you, more money, or being closer to home, or better bonuses or working with your close friends or family. Do you just say no, or do you look into it?

Though others seem to think all is well in Husker land, I think part of the chaos that is obvious on these threads led to losing Carter and Gabbert.

If you look at the threads, people are throwing the coaches on offense under the bus right and left. They are lower than whale feces to hear some of the posts. Dumber than a post. So why would two 4*s recruited by these same offensive coaches want to come here? The tirades against Lee by some posters also doesn't jive with the "why doesn't everyone want to be a Husker" silliness that seems to pervade Huskerland. Bo's rants on National TV screaming at offensive coaches and the QB, does not give the sort of 'in control' leadership that most are looking for. The anemic performance of the offense 106 yards on national TV; doesn't give them much faith either. They are not coming here to play great defense; those two were coming here to throw and catch.

So these kids had to look around and ask the same question I have asked and no one has been able to answer. If watson is so bad and the offense we run WCO is not suited to our team, then WHAT ARE WE GOING TO RUN NEXT YEAR AND BEYOND? What coaches are going to be running it? Pelini seems more suited to having a power running game. I don't think we have the personnel for it and it will be a horrible mistake but if that is what he wants, then he needs to start getting the personnel to play it. None of us has any clue what they will run or who will be coaching it. Half or more of you want Watson out along with Cotton. Why would the kids not see the chaos that is currently a part of this team and say....I think I would rather be in a different situation that is more settled on what they run on offense and matches my skills.

C Carter and Tyler G do not want to be a part of an offense that throws a half dozen times a game. If you take off the red colored glasses and look at it from two kid's view from out of state with no bred in Husker pride, it makes perfect sense for them to go somewhere else.