RB Deontae Cooper

Player: Deontae Cooper

Hometown: Perris, CA

Position: RB

Height: 6'0''

Weight: 205 lbs.

40 time: 4.47

Visit Date:

Scholarships: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Fresno State, Nebraska, Stanford, Utah, Washington

Favorites: Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, California, Colorado, Florida, Fresno State, Nebraska, USC, Stanford, UCLA, Utah, Washington

COMMITTED TO WASHINGTON

Rivals: :star:star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star:star

ESPN: Top 150 Watchlist

we won't see this kid...........

Why not?

1. For starters, according to the information that Street Novelist posted, Nebraska hasn't even offered a scholarship.

2. Without any previous contact from our staff, pulling a kid this highly rated from the west coast is pretty improbable.

Notice I didn't say impossible... :dumdum

WOW I'm really impressed with this kids speed and the way he's not afraid to gain some extra yardage to lower his shoulder and plow some defenders down.

Anybody know if Deontae is taking visits to Nebraska?

Dunno, and we need to keep after him, but if Arron Green commits to NU (2011) class, it might scare off other quality RBs.

It would be a nice problem to have.

Anybody know if Deontae is taking visits to Nebraska?

Dunno, and we need to keep after him, but if Arron Green commits to NU (2011) class, it might scare off other quality RBs.

It would be a nice problem to have.

I can't see Little Green committing early enough to scare away the 2010 running backs.

But like you said it would be a great problem to have. :)

According to this rivals teaser it looks like he is planning a visit to Washington.

The Huskies are in need of running backs, especially since David Freeman and Brandon Johnson are no longer with the team due to academic reasons. One of the U-Dub's primary targets at the position is Perris (CA) Citrus Hill's Deontae Cooper. The four-star prospect knows of two official visits he'll take. Is Washington one of those visits?

Link

I agree. I think Washington has just as much chance if not more than we do to pull recruits out of California now that there has been a coaching change. Sarkisian brings a lot of notoriety to the Washington program from any California kid who watches USC play. So it's not a stretch to asume that Washington will have more of a chance with this kid. As far as Montana goes, If I am not mistaken, Sarkisian has been coaching quaterbacks for years now and was almost an automatic to pull him out of Califonia. They will not be such a push over team when NU knocks on their door. Darn it. :bang

GBR!

I agree. I think Washington has just as much chance if not more than we do to pull recruits out of California now that there has been a coaching change. Sarkisian brings a lot of notoriety to the Washington program from any California kid who watches USC play. So it's not a stretch to asume that Washington will have more of a chance with this kid. As far as Montana goes, If I am not mistaken, Sarkisian has been coaching quaterbacks for years now and was almost an automatic to pull him out of Califonia. They will not be such a push over team when NU knocks on their door. Darn it. :bang

GBR!

Also let us not forget that Washington has pretty decent history in their own right to include a share of a MNC in '90 or '91 I believe. They used to win a lot, in fact I recall in '90 Washington coming into LMS and beating the Huskers in one of the first night games we had. I was there and we were up 20-0 at half I belive, UW came back to win. I think that was the same year they won the title. The were consitently a top ranked team in that era and NU had a little rivalry with them, one of the biggest wins on the Husker resume in the '97 season was a win up at UW who was a top 10 team at that time. It is true that they fell really hard once that coach retired, but let us not act like UW is like ISU.

Add running back Deontae Cooper (Perris, Calif./Citrus Hill) to the long list of players taking official visits to Washington this weekend. Cooper is one of the region's top running backs and rushed for 2,948 yards and 43 touchdowns last year.

"I'm going to UW this weekend and I'm very excited about it," Cooper said. "This is the only trip I've set so far although I'm close to setting up one with Arizona State as well. I'm going to visit ASU in November but we're still working out the date.

"I also like Cal, Stanford, Nebraska and Utah and I'm talking with all of those schools. Cal hasn't offered yet but the others have and I want to take all five of my official visits before I make my decision."

Cooper said he has no plans to make an early commitment and could take his recruitment all the way to February.

"My plan right now is to wait until signing day before I make my decision," Cooper said. "A lot of people have told me that's kind of risky because these schools can fill up if I wait that long. I just don't want to rush in to anything though and I want to make sure I take all my visits.

"Right now, I really like UW a lot and I'm excited to see them up close and learn more about them. I don't see myself committing though, it's just too early for that right now."

Cooper said he has no plans to make an early commitment and could take his recruitment all the way to February.

"My plan right now is to wait until signing day before I make my decision," Cooper said. "A lot of people have told me that's kind of risky because these schools can fill up if I wait that long. I just don't want to rush in to anything though and I want to make sure I take all my visits.

Good kid. Now please don't disappoint us and commit next Sunday. :)

Running back Deontae Cooper (Perris, Calif./Citrus Hill) took an official visit to Washington two weeks ago and has the Huskies very high on his list.

Cooper camped with Washington over the summer, so this was his second time checking out the Seattle campus.

"I had an awesome trip there," Cooper said. "The coaching staff is incredible and was the highlight of the visit for me. They made me feel like I was already part of the team and I love the energy they always have. They're always talking about football and they have a real passion for the game that I love.

"I thought the team played really well and could have won. The locker room after the game was really upbeat and the coaches were disappointed in the loss but stayed positive and told everyone how proud they were of how hard they played.

"You can tell coach [steve] Sarkisian has the players' heads in the right place. That's a great group of guys there and I got along great with everyone. They have a young team so everyone is excited about the future. James Johnson was my host and he showed me a great time and I loved the campus and the city there as well."

Despite raving about the visit, Cooper said he still plans to take the rest of his trips and is in no hurry to make a decision.

"I want to visit Nebraska, Arizona State and probably Fresno State," Cooper said. "ASU wants me to come up for the USC game (Nov. 7) so that sounds like something I want to do. Fresno State wants me to trip after the season and Nebraska didn't really specify."

Good kid. Now please don't disappoint us and commit next Sunday. :)

<_<

kinda surprised he went ahead and committed to Wash.....he told Derron Smith not to take a visit to Lincoln last weekend b/c he wanted to go with him and that weekend didn't work.

no big deal though....we still might not take a RB this year

With Okafor and Castille gone, we'd better.

kinda surprised he went ahead and committed to Wash.....he told Derron Smith not to take a visit to Lincoln last weekend b/c he wanted to go with him and that weekend didn't work.

no big deal though....we still might not take a RB this year

With Okafor and Castille gone, we'd better.

We still have 6 RB's on scholarships so its not that big of a deal if we don't take one this year. Plus we might end up taking a couple next year so hopefully one isn't needed.

Good luck to Mr. Cooper though at Washington

It's not imperative but I'd say getting a rb should be more of a priority now.

It does surprise me a bit that Smith put off his visit just so Cooper can go with him and now Cooper has committed already. Dang it, wish these kids would take their visits then make a decision.

I think we certainly have room for one now. We'll have Helu and Burkhead, but no real solid (yet) options. Though of course one can emerge, we can't count on that. With these two departures, we can definitely go after one this class (maybe even a JUCO?) and still have plenty room for Green next year.

I think we certainly have room for one now. We'll have Helu and Burkhead, but no real solid (yet) options. Though of course one can emerge, we can't count on that. With these two departures, we can definitely go after one this class (maybe even a JUCO?) and still have plenty room for Green next year.

Okafor opens another Scholarship. If Nebraska can still get a good RB this year, they certainly should.

Is he still planning on taking his visit with his teammate Derron Smith?

I guess not:

RB Cooper picks UW

Posted by Greg Biggins

In recruiting, things can change by the minute and often do. On Tuesday, we talked with running back Deontae Cooper (Perris, Calif./Citrus Hill) about his visit to Washington two weeks ago. Cooper talked about taking his time with his recruitment and said he wasn't close to making any decisions. Fast forward one day and he's now singing a different tune.

"I just committed to Washington this morning," Cooper said. "I know I said I wanted to wait but the more I thought about it, it just seemed like Washington was the best fit for me. I talked things over with my dad and my coaches and we looked at all my options and I don't think I could find a better situation than Washington.

"They're a young team on the rise with a lot of young talent. They have a need for speed and a need for a big play running back and I think I can provide that. They have a great coaching staff and I love being around all of them. I loved the campus life and the passion of the fans.

"Basically, everything I was looking for in a school, Washington had. I still wanted to take my trips and see what else was out there just to be sure but now, I've decided to end the process and I'm a solid commitment to UW."

Cooper is the No. 5 running backs in California and had a huge junior season. He rushed for 2,948 yards and 43 touchdowns and helped lead his team to their second straight CIF title in 2009.

Colorado, Nebraska, Arizona State, Fresno State, Stanford, Utah and Arizona had also offered scholarships. Cooper said he wanted to visit ASU, Nebraska and Fresno State before making a commitment but will no longer take his trips and is a solid commit to the Dawgs.

OTOH it wouldn't be the first time he did something different than he said.

Unfortunately, Deontae, who I was really high on last year, tore his ACL and is out for the season for the Huskies.

See, just like with Giovanni Bernard, that is why you should not pick against NU...